Limited Vortex alpha release today, full release soon

Dark0ne

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much Nexus for Vortex. I have not try it yet but I will give it a shot this coming weekend. Thanks to all of those who have been testing it and provided feedbacks.

I've never tried MO. My experience is only with NMM, which is very simple to use, clean, straight to the point and fast. NMM sort our load order but LOOT does it better. For me, VORTEX must be as simple as NMM but more powerful than any other program out there. When I say powerful, I think like a gamer. What is it important to us more than anything else ? A proper and functional load order so we can play our games as stable as possible, with less CTD's, bottom line, close to perfection.

Load order is not the only aspect to make a game properly run, but it is an essential aspect for all of us since not everybody knows how to resolve conflicts between mods or patching a game. So, I hope that VORTEX is up to this task and if it does, then it is an absolute winner for me. I did read that so far manually placing a mod is not possible and I hope this is just a bug. I do not really care if it is installed in our C:/ drive.

In response to post #57199161. #57199196, #57199271, #57201046 are all replies on the same post.

}{ellKnight wrote: Downloaded and installed/logged in with it using my work laptop, hopefully this is enough for me to be able to use it at home.

I'm assuming that with future versions we'll be able to install this in other locations than the default one (Program Files/Black Tree Gaming). Hopefully it'll have an import from Mod Organizer feature as well. Can't wait to get home and start testing this thing out.
Pickysaurus wrote: It does have a MO import button but I couldn't get it to work
}{ellKnight wrote: Yeah, just found the Mo Import extension amongst the many other extensions it has, quite impresive (can't really test it since I don't have any games on my work laptop). It wouldn't surprise me if you really wanted to you could do it manually by looking at how it has it's profiles set up and try to mimick that with the data MO stores for its profiles.
Jake0233 wrote: I also tried the NMM import button but it doesn't work for me sadly

The nmm import worked for me after i ran nmm at the same time, it sure uses a lot of memory to run vortex,nmm and chrome.

In response to post #57217826. #57218966, #57220646 are all replies on the same post.

RetroDaddy wrote:

How do I enable F4SE launcher using Vortex?

Ethreon wrote: Go to Settings, enable Starter.
RetroDaddy wrote: Thank you so much...
So I went and enabled "Starter" but could see no option to actually do it. I have not found these "Dashlets" did I possibly forget to do something else? There are no widgets showing any of these options.

Maybe I figured out a solution, I added "Tool" along with FO4Edit and Loot.

Yeah, you add f4se_loader.exe as a tool and choose "make primary" in the dropdown edit list.
After that Vortex will start F4SE instead of Fallout4.

I understand that Vortex doesn't have any method to manually rearrange your load order, and I'm baffled. It's the single most basic feature of any mod manager. I can't imagine ever using this until that's implemented.

It's a shame too, because a lot of the other features sound really great!

In response to post #57206761. #57213901, #57214006, #57216011, #57216651, #57217286, #57217661, #57218841 are all replies on the same post.

TeodorWild wrote: Hi!
Installing Vortex to hard-path on disk C: ARE NOT acceptable! Like create temporary games path on {User}{Roaming}. I'm using a group politics and disk quotas to block non-systems processes and file on system disk. Need to provide on setup application option to choosing installing path and working paths.
Thanks!
madpaddy wrote: Agree, im pretty much the same set up.
Sandello wrote: Me too. I working on my PC, I want my disk C as far from games as possible
oxymarrow wrote: +1, pretty sure they will change this.
JRantanen wrote: This is one of the first items on the "known issues" thread on the forums: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6352891-known-issues/

"Problem: Vortex installs to C:, I want it somewhere else

First of all, you can place mods and such to a different drive from inside vortex but the application itself (around 200MB) and a few MB of settings will always be on C:

The reason we install to the directories we do is: This is where applications are supposed to be installed, we follow microsoft guidelines exactly and this has various advantages:
- We know we can write to the directories
- We know the data will be backed up by a proper backup solution and the application, which can be downloaded from the internet, is not. We know
- When updating we know where the old version is, without having to rely on the registry
- When you let users pick the installation directory, some of them will install to c:\windows\system32 and some will blame us for not protecting them.

There is also no real compelling reason for this kind of "customisability". No other OS requires/allows users to set a target directory during install and I don't hear people
complain about Linux patronising its users too much.

More and more modern applications don't ask for a target directory during install, I think people should just come to terms with the fact that this is how things are going to work in the future.

If your argument is going to be: "But I don't have enough disk space on C:" then the answer is: You can move Program Files or subdirectories of it to a different drive by creating ntfs mounts or junction points, C:\Windows and C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming ltd don't have to be on the same disk. "
nappilydeestructio wrote: I agree with @TeodorWild on this one. I had my fair share of horrible experiences with installing game stuff on disk C drive. I would love to use Vortex I see a lot of potential but unfortunately this is one of the biggest cons for me. I just can't justify installing anything game related tools on C drive.
madpaddy wrote: We are well aware of what the known issues says, we're asking that if at all possible they give us the option, as of now I've uninstalled Vortex and will continue with MO2, atm Vortex just doesn't do what I wish, no manual sorting no individual file sorting/hiding and sticking stuff in my C: drive that leaves folders and possibly files behind. I have no problem with them making an easy mode but why they cant make an advanced option for those that will use it I don't understand. Shame but thankfully MO2 is working pretty much flawlessly for me on Windows 10 so it's not the end of the world.
JRantanen wrote: madpaddy, I was just making sure that everyone was aware of why it was the way it is for the moment.

As the text on the known issues page says this can be bypassed by using a junction point, so you can have the files on a different volume this way.
Though I do agree that users should be able to choose where a program is installed on their computer, the way it is currently handled also kind of makes sense from a development standpoint, as it might very well be that if that choice is implemented the program will have to always rely on the registry no matter where it is installed.

Np didn't mean to come across as brash, it was very late when i posted, apologies.

In response to post #57227931.

Robbie922004 wrote: I understand that Vortex doesn't have any method to manually rearrange your load order, and I'm baffled. It's the single most basic feature of any mod manager. I can't imagine ever using this until that's implemented.

It's a shame too, because a lot of the other features sound really great!

Until you use it properly and actually let yourself try and learn it, you can't judge.

We're talking about the creator of MO, the software that everyone sings the praises of, thinking this is the best way of doing things. I/we certainly haven't told him to use this system, he's decided this system will be the most powerful and useful system moving forward, and you owe it to yourself, and him, to give it a go before you judge it.

Most of the people I've seen commenting negatively about it have instantly decided they don't like it because it does things differently in some areas, without even fully trying it or understanding why it has been done this way. It's rather silly.

Hopefully once we're fully released and we can get some documentation out with it (and YouTube tutorials) people will understand why Tannin has chosen this system. For now, it's actually more important for us to see how people use Vortex without any documentation so we can know what is intuitive, what isn't, and what people are getting stuck on. Edited by Dark0ne

In response to post #57206761. #57213901, #57214006, #57216011, #57216651, #57217286, #57217661, #57218841, #57228231 are all replies on the same post.

TeodorWild wrote: Hi!
Installing Vortex to hard-path on disk C: ARE NOT acceptable! Like create temporary games path on {User}{Roaming}. I'm using a group politics and disk quotas to block non-systems processes and file on system disk. Need to provide on setup application option to choosing installing path and working paths.
Thanks!
madpaddy wrote: Agree, im pretty much the same set up.
Sandello wrote: Me too. I working on my PC, I want my disk C as far from games as possible
oxymarrow wrote: +1, pretty sure they will change this.
JRantanen wrote: This is one of the first items on the "known issues" thread on the forums: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6352891-known-issues/

"Problem: Vortex installs to C:, I want it somewhere else

First of all, you can place mods and such to a different drive from inside vortex but the application itself (around 200MB) and a few MB of settings will always be on C:

The reason we install to the directories we do is: This is where applications are supposed to be installed, we follow microsoft guidelines exactly and this has various advantages:
- We know we can write to the directories
- We know the data will be backed up by a proper backup solution and the application, which can be downloaded from the internet, is not. We know
- When updating we know where the old version is, without having to rely on the registry
- When you let users pick the installation directory, some of them will install to c:\windows\system32 and some will blame us for not protecting them.

There is also no real compelling reason for this kind of "customisability". No other OS requires/allows users to set a target directory during install and I don't hear people
complain about Linux patronising its users too much.

More and more modern applications don't ask for a target directory during install, I think people should just come to terms with the fact that this is how things are going to work in the future.

If your argument is going to be: "But I don't have enough disk space on C:" then the answer is: You can move Program Files or subdirectories of it to a different drive by creating ntfs mounts or junction points, C:\Windows and C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming ltd don't have to be on the same disk. "
nappilydeestructio wrote: I agree with @TeodorWild on this one. I had my fair share of horrible experiences with installing game stuff on disk C drive. I would love to use Vortex I see a lot of potential but unfortunately this is one of the biggest cons for me. I just can't justify installing anything game related tools on C drive.
madpaddy wrote: We are well aware of what the known issues says, we're asking that if at all possible they give us the option, as of now I've uninstalled Vortex and will continue with MO2, atm Vortex just doesn't do what I wish, no manual sorting no individual file sorting/hiding and sticking stuff in my C: drive that leaves folders and possibly files behind. I have no problem with them making an easy mode but why they cant make an advanced option for those that will use it I don't understand. Shame but thankfully MO2 is working pretty much flawlessly for me on Windows 10 so it's not the end of the world.
JRantanen wrote: madpaddy, I was just making sure that everyone was aware of why it was the way it is for the moment.

As the text on the known issues page says this can be bypassed by using a junction point, so you can have the files on a different volume this way.
Though I do agree that users should be able to choose where a program is installed on their computer, the way it is currently handled also kind of makes sense from a development standpoint, as it might very well be that if that choice is implemented the program will have to always rely on the registry no matter where it is installed.
madpaddy wrote: Np didn't mean to come across as brash, it was very late when i posted, apologies.

@JRantanen :
This is where applications are supposed to be installed, we follow microsoft guidelines exactly and this has various advantages
So that's why we can install games through Steam on any other place than C: ? If Steam lets us, why doesn't Vortex ?
When you let users pick the installation directory, some of them will install to c:\windows\system32 and some will blame us for not protecting them
That's just a lame excuse, sorry