Vortex Alpha Release

Dark0ne

I'll probably hold off until this is out of Alpha for all the reasons stated above, but I still wanted to pipe up and say thanks to Tannin, and to everybody who's involved in keeping this site going. I don't think that it really gets said enough, and you guys really do bring us lots of amazing stuff. It can't be an easy job.

Edit: Hey, that rhymes.

Edited by theninjew

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will download Vortex when it is released in a beta form. I don't feel competent to use it, at the present time. However, I am looking forward to using it. The NMM has been vital to my gameplay, over the years. I tried the Mod Manager, but I had so much trouble with it (probably due to my lack of understanding of how to properly use it). I'm a philosopher ... by profession ... and not a computer programmer or geek. I can tell you the ins and outs of Plato, but I actually had to look up "open source", today, to find out what it means.

I think that I've got using the NMM properly down to a science, and when and how to add or delete mods is no problem, to me. However, I'm very tired of "starting over", when it comes to certain games. Skyrim comes to mind ...

Gentlemen and ladies, take your time with Vortex, and I'll give it a go when it's a Beta, and ready for "the rest of us" to try!

Thanks

In response to post #59131806. #59132596, #59143546, #59153916, #59156576, #59596286 are all replies on the same post.

DarkDominion wrote: @Dark0ne, The tin says "Capped at 1Mb/s, go premium if you want faster dl", but it should say "cap at 900kB/s". :)

Where NMM gave us non premium-plebs a solid 1Mb, we now get 10% less.
Or are you granting us the 1Mb/s limit later on in development ?

Thanks for your time :thumbsup:
-=DD=-
Vanguarde2017 wrote: Why not purchase premium? I had it once and it is well worth it. Hardly anyone uses it it seems so I was getting 10 Mb/s download speeds at minimum
DarkDominion wrote: 1) You don't have Premium now
2) Hardly anyone uses it it seems : that's says something about Premium, right ?

but in all seriousness : I just want my 1Mb/s :)
Tannin42 wrote: There was no change to the cap for non-premium users afaik.
Either the dl speed indicator in Vortex is inaccurate/calculates differently or it's actually causing a bit of a slowdown on the receiving end, though that would surprise me.
Have you tried calculating the average download speed manually? (measure the time the dl takes then divide the size of the file by the number of seconds it took)
DarkDominion wrote: good tip Tannin42, will use that...
More on this later ....
DarkDominion wrote: sorry, been busy...

look, my DL also tops a 1.1MB, so your reasoning is wrong.
if the 900kB is the new 1MB cap, how come I also get 1.1MB

sorry, the average cap is 10% lower than it was with NMM, or that was also a lie ?

Thanks for your work on Vortex, Tannin.

I was non-premium for a long time, and finally got tired of the long waits on big files. I bought a year's worth of premium, last week (after a couple of monthly buys). Next year, I intend to go "lifetime", and help some of the modders, financially.

Since I went premium, I downloaded "Beyond Skyrim", which is a very large file. I had it on my HDD in about two minutes. Besides short download times, I like the "Premium" flag on my profile! Besides that, it takes a lot of money to keep a website operating (think "The Total War Center & Forums"). If we wish to keep the Nexus functioning, "those who have" need to help out.

It never ceases to amaze me how dedicated the modding community is. Or how dedicated this site has been to the modding community. Thank you for all your hard work over the years, and the never ending determination to make it faster and easier to mod our games. I am some what of a Pleb when it comes to programming, as such i will have to wait for the beta release of vortex. But I can't wait to try it out and see first hand your hard work for us. Thanks again everyone who has taken part in making this new Mod Manager.

In response to post #59889451.

Tragthemercenary wrote: I will download Vortex when it is released in a beta form. I don't feel competent to use it, at the present time. However, I am looking forward to using it. The NMM has been vital to my gameplay, over the years. I tried the Mod Manager, but I had so much trouble with it (probably due to my lack of understanding of how to properly use it). I'm a philosopher ... by profession ... and not a computer programmer or geek. I can tell you the ins and outs of Plato, but I actually had to look up "open source", today, to find out what it means.

I think that I've got using the NMM properly down to a science, and when and how to add or delete mods is no problem, to me. However, I'm very tired of "starting over", when it comes to certain games. Skyrim comes to mind ...

Gentlemen and ladies, take your time with Vortex, and I'll give it a go when it's a Beta, and ready for "the rest of us" to try!

Thanks

take the risk I did and I certainly do not regret it even as an alpha I've had 0 problems with it so far

I watched all 4 Gopher's videos about Vortex and I think this looks cool and promising. I'm realy used to NMM, but I'm willing to switch to Vortex once it gets more stable and with more functionality.

I'd like to make a suggestion. (I don't know If Vortex already has this) It'd be cool if Vortex had mod categories like NMM has.

I always like to have all my mods sorted by categories so I can easily find them and place them together. Like all texture mods together, Overhauls, House mods, Follower Mods. That kind of stuff.

Anyway, thanks for the hard work!

Edited by fedeenjoi

In response to post #59889451. #59916096 is also a reply to the same post.

Tragthemercenary wrote: I will download Vortex when it is released in a beta form. I don't feel competent to use it, at the present time. However, I am looking forward to using it. The NMM has been vital to my gameplay, over the years. I tried the Mod Manager, but I had so much trouble with it (probably due to my lack of understanding of how to properly use it). I'm a philosopher ... by profession ... and not a computer programmer or geek. I can tell you the ins and outs of Plato, but I actually had to look up "open source", today, to find out what it means.

Thanks
19Modman69 wrote: take the risk I did and I certainly do not regret it even as an alpha I've had 0 problems with it so far

I'll be blatantly honest with you, Tragthemercenary. I got a new computer and switched over to only Vortex and have had less issues running massive amounts of mods with less issues than I've had with Nexus Mod Manager.