Vortex Alpha Release

Dark0ne

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #57589691. #57598431, #57599596 are all replies on the same post.

HelelBenShahaar wrote: At first glance, I can only repeat what I said to SirSalami: this thing frightens me.

I can't really understand anything I see there. Doesn't look very user friendly, all things considered.

I never used Mod Organizer, but I tried Wrye Bash for a short time. Looking back at them, their interfaces looked ancient as hell. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not good in my experience. I never actually got used to WB and I don't think I'll ever be using MO.

However, Vortex's interface looks too modern. Looks more aesthetic than functional to be honest. This may not sit well with some users. Doesn't sit well with me, that's for sure.

To put it the best I can, as far as interfaces were concerned: WB and MO looked like Windows 95 and Windows 2000, respectively. NMM looks like Windows XP. Vortex looks like Windows 10.

I have a feeling that this was a too large of a leap from NMM's simple and very useful mechs. Like you skipped the metaphorical Windows 7.

Highly unlikely that my voice will mean a bloody thing in a long run, but at least I said what was on my soul.
Anqayas wrote: I agree. It feels weird, hard to use.
r0ck7y wrote: i think the whole interface will change after they leave the alpha as they said somewhere else before that's they haven't started on the interface yet and it will be planned later when Vortex is stable and ready. still not sure if that's what they meant or i understood it wrong.

sound to me like they are never satisfied. "Its old and too simple" to "I don't like xp", now "it is too modern and hightech!" Please, stop being an old fart and learn to adapt.

MO is super simple if you take a little time to learn it; NMM was SUPER simple and cause more issues than it resolved; Vortex should be a happy mid between them or simply a new and inventive way to make our gaming experience easier. Edited by Valyn81

In response to post #57600591.

Galschar wrote: Quick question: how long is an alpha state? Cause I would love to try out the softwore now, but if the beta is like in 2 months I can wait :)

You can't really get a straight answer on that.
- Open Alpha could reveal a hidden issues that was missed during the closed Alpha; If that happens, it will require reworking and then more testing.
- If all goes well and no major issues then we could see a few weeks or months.

Thank you so much Nexus team! I've just installed Vortex and had a quick tour of the menus for now, and my first impression is that it looks very nice (much more than what I was hoping for) and feels really intuitive! I hope to start a new setup of SSE this weekend (I've been waiting a long, long time to do this) :) Keep up the great work!

I have to disagree with JokerManiaque's comment below. As a MO user, the menu's seem alien and far from being as organized and all round as good as MO. If the dev team for Vortex was going for a middle ground between NMM and MO UI styles, then I'm afraid you've missed the mark a little.

But on the bright side, the UI is darker than MO and wont blind me as much late at night. (Yes, I do realize the irony of that statement)

Edited by Grecia300

I might just be stupid, but this program improves nothing for me. It is not intuitive and cannot even recognize that I have NMM installed in order to import my mod information. I cannot correctly load the mod order and the sorting function is not so great. I have removed this program until better instruction on its use is released. So far this is not a better product.

/r

Cliff

I'm guessing because I'm not using the default mod location of MO2, I can't import. Importing from instance just finds the empty fallout4 folder that I switched from, and I'm unable to choose the location I moved it to.

In response to post #57603581.

adamscd123 wrote: I might just be stupid, but this program improves nothing for me. It is not intuitive and cannot even recognize that I have NMM installed in order to import my mod information. I cannot correctly load the mod order and the sorting function is not so great. I have removed this program until better instruction on its use is released. So far this is not a better product.
/r
Cliff

an excerpt from one of my social media sites, Thanks to rmm200

If you are using NMM to manage Fallout 4 (for example), download and install Vortex. Run Vortex and click "Import from NMM". Close Vortex. Open NMM and set up a profile with NO mods selected. Activate it. Close NMM and verify your game directory is squeaky clean. Fire up Vortex and click "Deploy". Take a look around settings, and give it a test run. If you want to go back to NMM for awhile, click "Purge mods" first. Game directory is squeaky clean again. Edited by RetroDaddy