Do not put mods/downloads into your Vortex install directory!

Tannin42

Bonjours à tous, j'ai un petit problème avec l'installation de Vortex quand j'essai de l'installer la page ne répond pas et sa me met (la page à mis trop de temps à répondre) et rien ne ce lance et c'est pareil quand je veux installé autre chose en manuel si vous pouvez m'aider sa serait vraiment sympa de votre part.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pourriez vous m'aider sur un petit point très embêtant ? Quand j'essai d'installer Vortex rien ne ce passe et au bout de quelque secondes il y à un page blanche qui s’affiche en me disant que sa à mit trop de temps à répondre je ne sais malheureusement pas comment régler ce petit problème si vous pouviez m'être d'une utilité quelconque sa me ferait très plaisir (je ne suis pas membre prémium)

Hi,

Today I updated Vortex and I saw all of my 30 GB of mods disappeared.

I'd like to know WHY the default mods installation folder is the Vortex installation directory and WHY it never warns you that when it updates it will delete all the files in the installation folder. WHY?! I downloaded all these mods in more than 1 week thanks to my shitty internet connection, and now I should re-download them all one by one, reinstall them and setting all of the file conflicts again? Is it too much for the developers create a simple warning like "hey listen when you update this crap it will delete all the files in the installation folder, are you sure you moved the mods in another directory?".

Jesus Christ guys come on, Vortex is a beautiful mod manager so why it fails like this I ask.

Is there any way to recover installed mods from the game folder or I have to really redownload and reinstall all of them?

You proably put the download and/or mod-staging directory inside Vortex' own installation directory.

This is *NOT* the default. You had to put it there yourself, so there's noone else to be blamed for this than you. As a matter of fact there are multiple warnings here in the forum, NOT to put ANY data inside Vortex' installation directory.

And, I'm sorry, but there's no way to recover your mods. They're still injected in your games, but you cannot deactivate or uninstall them anymore. So best is to start from scratch and follow the best practices this time (i.e. using the default installation directory in c:\Program Files, and either leave the downloads and mod staging folder at their default - if your games are installed on C: as well - or use some custom location OUTSIDE of Vortex' installation).

Yes, it actually is the default setting, since I touched nothing on the download folder page, when I changed it today it was still like this {USERDATA}{GAME} etc, so it was by default. I also know it because when I tried to put it again the installation folder it actually gave me a warning not to do that, a thing that I would have noticed even before.

I suggest the developers to change default installation directory and to put a warning whenever it updates, since not everyone checks the forum after downloading Vortex.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Yes, it actually is the default setting, since I touched nothing on the download folder page, when I changed it today it was still like this {USERDATA}{GAME} etc, so it was by default. I also know it because when I tried to put it again the installation folder it actually gave me a warning not to do that, a thing that I would have noticed even before.

I suggest the developers to change default installation directory and to put a warning whenever it updates, since not everyone checks the forum after downloading Vortex.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Mods and Downloads are stored by default below c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming\vortex\...

The application itself is stored in c:\program files\black tree gaming ltd\vortex

so in completely different locations. The appdata directory is not deleted during a vortex update/uninstall.

• 5 weeks later...

Heads up. Don't let vortex move your mod files either without backup. I did, and updated from 0.15.9 to 0.16.2. All the mod folders moved, asked me to save all changes after install. I did. BIG MISTAKE. All the mod folders are there but are now empty.

And this is why I don't update. Not COOL. I know you guys do this for peanuts. But seriously. I AM SO FUC$*(&^#@(%^$#@(*&^*$#%^*#$^&&&*(#$(*&!@#&*(^$@!#(*&&* PISSED!

Had to download EaseUS to recover my files, because like an IDIOT i thought having vortex manage the folders was safe. Had a personal mod I was working on for months disappear. Maybe I should have kept a more up to date back up. But I didn't.

So from the bottom of my heart, I appreciate the work, but seriously f*#@ your updates.

Edited by SaintVoid

Heads up. Don't let vortex move your mod files either without backup. I did, and updated from 0.15.9 to 0.16.2. All the mod folders moved, asked me to save all changes after install. I did. BIG MISTAKE. All the mod folders are there but are now empty.

And this is why I don't update. Not COOL. I know you guys do this for peanuts. But seriously. I AM SO FUC$*(&^#@(%^$#@(*&^*$#%^*#$^&&&*(#$(*&!@#&*(^$@!#(*&&* PISSED!

Had to download EaseUS to recover my files, because like an IDIOT i thought having vortex manage the folders was safe. Had a personal mod I was working on for months disappear. Maybe I should have kept a more up to date back up. But I didn't.

So from the bottom of my heart, I appreciate the work, but seriously f*** your updates.

When I updated from 0.15.9 several months ago, the process was flawless. There were no lost mod files. In fact, I've not had any serious issues with Vortex updates. I'm currently using 0.16.12.

But it's good advice to keep backups. I maintain a backup schedule for everything.

Just thought I'd throw in here that Vortex is not actually downloading anything when I click "Vortex" on the Nexus. I am forced to Manually Download each mod, which places it into my Downloads folder, from which I then move it to the Mods folder (which has been where Vortex placed it and I am only learning now is the wrong location, which was in the Game directory). It then detected the mod and allowed me to activate it.

So all of this "managing a mod from birth to death" or whatever is being hinted at that Vortex is supposed to do is not how Vortex is working (at least for me). I've had to ask a bunch of questions and look like a complete moron on the forums because I was using NMM before and once I clicked "Download" and ran LOOT, everything (to coin a phrase) "just worked."

So, Vortex isn't doing it's actual job and now that the Nexus defaults to Vortex, even if I wanted to use NMM, it tells me the mod will be "Served by Vortex" and just... sits there...