What was the game that caused your gaming addiction to begin?

Systex

Pirates on C64 - crashing with 999.999 Gold short before daybreak after playing 16 hours

Monkey Island on Amiga 500

With the automatic Setup of Voodoo Memory Manager for Ultima 7 I started my new carrier - persuade Computers to do what they are expected to

Started with a Super Nintendo back in the days, but never really went crazy on gaming ... until I played Indiana Jones and the infernal machine on my first pc.

Maybe not the greatest game ever, but when I was younger I hang in there for hours every day trying to finish it... probably took me more than 10th the time a normal person would've needed, but I really enjoyed it. After that game my new motto was "pc is life - pc is love" ^^

• 3 weeks later...

Monkey Island 1 on Amiga500 and Lemmings on the grey/nicotine-yellow chunk we had as a PC back in the days. Oh, I spent long nights saving those suicidal little rascals. Then came Doom. Enough said ...

I started seriously gaming on the Appl ][c.

Kings Quest 1 and Lode Runner were my first addictions. :)

Choplifter also comes to mind... as do the arcade classics.

But they didn't hold me like the KQ series and Lode Runner did.

I later moved onto the Amiga and owned A2500 w/Video Toaster, A500 and A600 (still in garage somewhere) at various times.

Dungeon Master by FTL was my big addiction in my early Amiga days. DM2:Chaos Strikes Back was my favorite. Think of an early style of Legends of Grimrock.

Oooh... and don't get me started on Lemmings!!! I miss that game. I'd buy it again if it were on Steam. I think I have something called "clones", but it doesn't compare.

And iirc, Ultima 5/6 and specifically 7 fell in here somewhere. U7 grabbed me too.

Then a few years later Commodore went bankrupt. So I sold all my Amiga gear to some company in Hawaii (I lived in Kansas and sold it over FIDONET)

I took that money and bought a car and my first PC Clone. Win 3.11 on a first gen Pentium 1.

Dragon Lance and some other SSI games come to mind from that time period. Turn based RPGs.

Also 3D games were not too far off, like Eye of the Beholder series and other similar block RPGs.

I also believe this was the time frame I was introduced to Bethesda through Arena and then later Daggerfall.

I never played Redguard or Battlespire (due to bugs and bad reviews), but I pounced hard on Morrowind when it came around years later.

I've never looked back since Daggerfall. I knew I was a Bethesda fan then, as much as I hated them. Serious love/hate relationship in those days. lol

Since then I've continued to play all the Fallouts (not 1&2) and TES games and they dominate my hard drive and they are all modded. :)

As for Fallouts 1 and 2, I want to play them, but as a mod inside the Fallout 3/FNV/F4 engine. Last I checked F1 was under development as a mod for F3.

Diablo 2 was an addiction. Really miss the Necromancer Class from that game. I enjoyed Diablo 3, but it never became an addiction.

Path of Exile is the first game I started paying attention to how many hours I invest in a game. 872 so far, so I guess it qualifies as having grabbed me.

I"m sure I'll go back to the game again some day.

Tried ESO and just couldn't get into it. I figure MMOs are not my thing.

I do intend to give it another shot in 2017 or 2018 before I uninstall it.

And of course, I'm ready and waiting for TES6 and the next Fallout.

Played pretty much all the old systems from Atari 2600 to PS2, after which I switched to PC gaming...

But the game that really sucked me in and didn't let me go for most of one weekend straight was Suikoden 2 on the PS2...

Keep me far away from that game! :wacko: :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

My love for PC FPS games took off when Star Wars Darkforces II: Jedi Knight first came out... I loved the live action Cut scenes, and the light side Dark side choice near the end of the game

on Consoles, my love for Bioware RPGs, was when I played the first KotOR on my Original Xbox. I love how they (they being Bioware) started to experiment with the idea that "choices matter" and depending on your actions by the end of the game also decided what party members were alive...