Download speed cap increase for Supporters and non-Adblockers

Dark0ne

In response to post #64079816. #64079916 is also a reply to the same post.

GamerPoets wrote: Just from my personal "YouTubing" experience. My analytics show that I've missed out on roughly $9,500 due to add blockers since I started making videos. Do what you need to do. From a long time premium member it sounds reasonable enough to give supporters a bump to say thanks.
Kaebus wrote: Very well said GP. I've known a few content creators on YT who encountered the same issue. As said in this announcement, the reasons people have for using adblockers are valid, and it's not a shunning of them doing so in any way, but it's really nice to have something out there for the people who are giving a little bit back.

If I could turn off ads all together I would = )
Everyone, including Nexus and other YT creators know that ads are annoying but the alternative (currently) is to not exist. Selling products of any kind is not something that anyone who has to make a living from this realm, while continuing to be a part of it and growing within it, can count on (sales for things like this are bonuses). Even so, personally, ads alone will never even come to close to helping me pay just for the equipment/costs of creating. Thank Talos for Patreon (my form of Premium/Supporter Memberships). Took 4 years to break even on PC parts with the help of pledges. I do the same thing that Nexus is doing here. If you allow me to keep existing while doing what I enjoy I try to give you perks/"thank you's" that I'm capable of giving without alienating everyone else. Nexus isn't changing anything here other than giving some supporters a "thank you" in a way that they are able to while encouraging site growth. Edited by GamerPoets

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #64079816. #64079916, #64080396 are all replies on the same post.

GamerPoets wrote: Just from my personal "YouTubing" experience. My analytics show that I've missed out on roughly $9,500 due to add blockers since I started making videos. Do what you need to do. From a long time premium member it sounds reasonable enough to give supporters a bump to say thanks.
Kaebus wrote: Very well said GP. I've known a few content creators on YT who encountered the same issue. As said in this announcement, the reasons people have for using adblockers are valid, and it's not a shunning of them doing so in any way, but it's really nice to have something out there for the people who are giving a little bit back.
GamerPoets wrote: If I could turn off ads all together I would = )
Everyone, including Nexus and other YT creators know that ads are annoying but the alternative (currently) is to not exist. Selling products of any kind is not something that anyone who has to make a living from this realm, while continuing to be a part of it and growing within it, can count on (sales for things like this are bonuses). Even so, personally, ads alone will never even come to close to helping me pay just for the equipment/costs of creating. Thank Talos for Patreon (my form of Premium/Supporter Memberships). Took 4 years to break even on PC parts with the help of pledges. I do the same thing that Nexus is doing here. If you allow me to keep existing while doing what I enjoy I try to give you perks/"thank you's" that I'm capable of giving without alienating everyone else. Nexus isn't changing anything here other than giving some supporters a "thank you" in a way that they are able to while encouraging site growth.

That's a really good way to express it, and one I wholly agree with. I'll have to remember that ^^

I'm not sure if this will impact anything but I've been getting a message on the ads saying "ads.eu.criteo.com is not available" for a while now, this might be a thing on my end though.

In response to post #64078896. #64079056, #64079716, #64085246, #64086736 are all replies on the same post.

BobDarek wrote: I don't have any ad-blocker... I don't know why you considered me like this kind of user. Anyway, my antivirus suite is blocking any attack attempts from your site... Maybe that's why people use ad-block. Your site isn't safe (At least, that's what my antivirus said)
magicgun wrote: bad anti-viruses. its impossible to get viruses from this site.
Kaebus wrote: I wouldn't say it's impossible to get viruses from this site, otherwise there would be no use for the "Checked for Viruses" and "Some Files Not Scanned" function tags on the mod pages. However, in my decade of using the site I've never encountered any malware or virus from any of my usage. It's likely that your antivirus is just being overprotective.
ff7legend wrote: @magicgun: There were instances of folks getting viruses from Nexus a few years back. Hackers got into the system & replaced several popular mod files (SkyUI on Oldrim Nexus being one of those) with .exe files that would auto-execute when downloaded, thereby infecting the user's machine with malware/spyware/trojans/worms/etc. This is why Nexus now employs a virus scanner each time a file is uploaded to the sites. However, there are issues with the virus scanner that Nexus has yet to fix. These include instances of infinite virus scan loops & the scans being slower than molasses in many cases. I know larger files take longer but even the smaller files can sometimes take over an hour to scan/get stuck in an infinite virus scanning loop. I & many other users have reported these issues on both the Nexus Forums as well as the Bug Tracker on Github. The issues have yet to be fixed & really need to be addressed.

There was also an issue back in '13 where hackers breached the Nexus & compromised nearly 6 million user accounts. A site-wide e-mail was sent out requiring all users to change their passwords due to said breach. Saying it's impossible to get a virus from Nexus or otherwise impossible to get hacked using Nexus is inaccurate/not a smart way of thinking. I use uBlock Origin & uBlock Plus to keep ads/pop-ups off my web browser. Many ads still utilize Adobe Flash Player, which is a haven for malware/spyware/trojans/worms/ransomware. This is why I employ an ad blocker but I also purchased a lifetime Premium membership back in '14 due to all the rampant issues with downloads on the old system/the newer CDN.
magicgun wrote: i ear you ff7legend. still i don't believe nexus mod to be a fundamentally dangerous website. those examples you described are essentially exterior actors. there is no real concrete reason for any antivirus to flag nexus mod as an dangerous platform.

Copied from Firefox Monitor Report:
Nexus Mods
Breach date:July 22, 2013
Compromised accounts:5,915,013
Compromised data:Email addresses, Passwords, Usernames
Breach data provided by Have I Been Pwned
My comment: You can never be safe enough.

Otherwise I find this action a social way to appreciate the stuff most of us are here for - nursing our hobby. Thank you for this initiative, Dark0ne.
Edit:
I guess I have got this wrong one more- this is not in benefit of me as an adblock user and not even a money contributor?
My mods don't even count - they only use up yout precious sspace. Or am I still wrong? Edited by fredlaus

In response to post #64081351.

CodeNamed1 wrote: Thx Nexus as I am a supporter but I can't keep buying The Premium pass all the time so this means a lot to me :)

Will Mod Organizer 2 have to be updated to this to work on it?

In response to post #64078606. #64079091, #64079541, #64079581 are all replies on the same post.

Digus wrote: How will a person be flag as ad-block user or not?
I use ad-block at work, but not at home.
I constantly check the site to answer any users of my mods, but don't download anything at work. I let ad-block on at work to avoid unnecessary usage of company bandwidth and resources from my machine.

Will I still have my download limited as an ad-block user?
magicgun wrote: interesting point. Bump
Kaebus wrote: I doubt that the recognition would be account bound. I think it's likely to be tied to the browser session that you are on, using the same functions that display the frowny face when it recognizes you aren't rendering ads. If you attempted to download from work you'd be capped at 1mb/s, and at home I figure you'd be capped at 2mb/s where you don't have the adblocker.

If nothing else, they wouldn't permanently mark you as an adblock user after making an announcement like this where many users will likely be lifting their adblocks in the near future to get the new 2mb/s cap, so there has to be a process on a per download basis that checks for adblocker and connects you to the proper service depending on your browser's response.
Dark0ne wrote: There is a timer attached to your activity to essentially stop people just turning off their adblocker for downloads, while blocking all the ads otherwise. The situation you describe should mean that you'll get 1MB/sec at work, and 2MB/sec at home either instantly, or soon after you're browsing a few pages while at home.

Thank you for the answer.