Official Vortex Beta Release

Dark0ne

I tried it and I didn't like it, interface is confusing compared to NMM and I found that Vortex has a strange way of doing certain things, like when you want to overwrite one mod with another because you want to use one mod for meshes and another for textures, NMM works as intended and is simple and effective. It felt like Vortex is trying to reinvent the wheel.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried it and I didn't like it, interface is confusing compared to NMM and I found that Vortex has a strange way of doing certain things, like when you want to overwrite one mod with another because you want to use one mod for meshes and another for textures, NMM works as intended and is simple and effective. It felt like Vortex is trying to reinvent the wheel.

Vortex too works as intended and is simple and effective, especially in the area of overlapping files management. And yes, Vortex intended to reinvent the wheel. As a result we have a much better wheel.

how do i fix it to where every time i launch it, it removes all my mods. and when i go to reinstall all the mods, it asks for permissions for every single mod...this wouldn't be that much of an issue, but its for 622 mods, and every time i boot it up i have to reinstall all my mods because it removes them. i have yet to run it in administrator (to my knowledge) and when i tried (just now) it came up with a warning so i quit that, how do i get this mod manager to not be so annoying.

Edited by toddhamer

In response to post #64857766.

toddhamer wrote:

how do i fix it to where every time i launch it, it removes all my mods. and when i go to reinstall all the mods, it asks for permissions for every single mod...this wouldn't be that much of an issue, but its for 622 mods, and every time i boot it up i have to reinstall all my mods because it removes them. i have yet to run it in administrator (to my knowledge) and when i tried (just now) it came up with a warning so i quit that, how do i get this mod manager to not be so annoying.

If you take these kinds of issues to Vortex Support, you will find knowledgeable people there who can offer help: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/forum/4306-vortex-support/

In response to post #64824411.

Darth Sidious wrote: I tried it and I didn't like it, interface is confusing compared to NMM and I found that Vortex has a strange way of doing certain things, like when you want to overwrite one mod with another because you want to use one mod for meshes and another for textures, NMM works as intended and is simple and effective. It felt like Vortex is trying to reinvent the wheel.

Where do I start?
NMM overwrites the mod, but in order to undo what NMM did, you need to uninstall and reinstall both mods.
With Vortex, Vortex will overwrite which meshes you want to use, and which textures you want to use as well
It's obvious you didn't bother reading the FAQS or watching any tutorials, otherwise you would've known that.
Also, you'd know that Vortex will overwrite, the files, and if you decide you want the other mod A to overwrite the Mod B files instead, you just have to tell Vortex to load the other mod BEFORE the mod you want overwritten, and Vortex will RESTORE the overwritten files, and overwrite the new files with the mod files you just changed.
I don't mind people not liking Vortex, but what I do mind is people complaining about stuff that Vortex can do, and do much better than NMM, but they complain because they didn't even bother to watch any tutorials or the FAQ etc, so instead they end up spreading misinformation.

If you had spent any amount of time with Vortex, you'd realize just how much more powerful and easy to use Vortex is vs NMM, but oh well, you prefer a Mod Manager that doesn't notify you of Mod Conflicts, and only prompts you to overwrite files, rather than giving you the options you want.
So hey, your loss.

In response to post #64825596. #64883616, #64883776 are all replies on the same post.

Augusta Calidia wrote:

Vortex too works as intended and is simple and effective, especially in the area of overlapping files management. And yes, Vortex intended to reinvent the wheel. As a result we have a much better wheel.

kidatari wrote: @ AUGUSTA CALIDIA....VORTEX IS CRAP . HOW CAN YOU CALL IT BETTER WHEN EVERYONE HERE IS HAVING ISSUES ....STOP TOUTING YOUR BROKEN FAILURE CALLED VORTEX . WE DONT WANT IT. BRING BACK NMM PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GAWD. AT LEAST LET US CHOOSE WHICH WE WANT. VORTEX IS A BROKEN MESS I CANT EVEN PLAY SKYRIM NOW . I HOPE THE PERSON /PERSONS SEE HOW MUCH VOERTEX IS A FAILURE SWALLOW THEIR OVER INFLATED EGO & TAKE THIS BROKEN MESS DOWN & PUT NMM BACK UP. IM NOT TOUCHING VORTEX NOT TAKING 5 STEPS BACKWARDS . IT MAKES NO SENSE. WALKING AWAY. WONT TOUCH VORTEX WHAT A BROKEN MESS. HOPE ALL THE CREATORS TAKE THEIR CREATIONS TO ANOTHER SITE WHERE THEY LISTEN.
kidatari wrote: MAY HAVE A BETTER WHEEL BUT ITS HARD TO TELL WHEN THE ENGINE KEEPS CRASHING ON YOU.

And the old wheel works just fine for me, I don't see a problem either way, those who like Vortex will use it, those who see NMM as doing the job just fine will use NMM, just like with anything else, people end up using what fits them better, whether it is Android vs iOS, McDonalds vs Burger King or Vortex vs NMM.

I never said Vortex should not have been developed, my point was that from my perspective and use case, where NMM does everything perfectly for me, I don't see much incentive to use Vortex hence the reinventing the wheel from my perspective. I have no problem with others switching to Vortex, everyone is entitled to their opinion and their choice of mod managers or anything else in life.

In response to post #64825596. #64883616, #64883776, #64893561 are all replies on the same post.

Augusta Calidia wrote:

kidatari wrote: @ AUGUSTA CALIDIA....VORTEX IS CRAP . HOW CAN YOU CALL IT BETTER WHEN EVERYONE HERE IS HAVING ISSUES ....STOP TOUTING YOUR BROKEN FAILURE CALLED VORTEX . WE DONT WANT IT. BRING BACK NMM PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GAWD. AT LEAST LET US CHOOSE WHICH WE WANT. VORTEX IS A BROKEN MESS I CANT EVEN PLAY SKYRIM NOW . I HOPE THE PERSON /PERSONS SEE HOW MUCH VOERTEX IS A FAILURE SWALLOW THEIR OVER INFLATED EGO & TAKE THIS BROKEN MESS DOWN & PUT NMM BACK UP. IM NOT TOUCHING VORTEX NOT TAKING 5 STEPS BACKWARDS . IT MAKES NO SENSE. WALKING AWAY. WONT TOUCH VORTEX WHAT A BROKEN MESS. HOPE ALL THE CREATORS TAKE THEIR CREATIONS TO ANOTHER SITE WHERE THEY LISTEN.
kidatari wrote: MAY HAVE A BETTER WHEEL BUT ITS HARD TO TELL WHEN THE ENGINE KEEPS CRASHING ON YOU.
Darth Sidious wrote: And the old wheel works just fine for me, I don't see a problem either way, those who like Vortex will use it, those who see NMM as doing the job just fine will use NMM, just like with anything else, people end up using what fits them better, whether it is Android vs iOS, McDonalds vs Burger King or Vortex vs NMM.

I never said Vortex should not have been developed, my point was that from my perspective and use case, where NMM does everything perfectly for me, I don't see much incentive to use Vortex hence the reinventing the wheel from my perspective. I have no problem with others switching to Vortex, everyone is entitled to their opinion and their choice of mod managers or anything else in life.

If Vortex was simple then why cant I or my wife figure out why its not working? Is there a way to just use Nexus and not have to use vortex?

In response to post #64688601. #64795346, #64796276 are all replies on the same post.

cjc75 wrote: I am confused.... Trying to get back into Fallout 4, want to try a new Mod...
I'm still using NMM v0.65.2 and its not working anymore... and I can't download anything with it.
So I have to use this vortex thing now? Do I have to go and reinstall ALL my existing mods with it... or how does that work?
LokiWolf90 wrote: I'm in the same boat with Skyrim SE...

I would rather not go back to the beginning after going in 12 hours into a new game.
Augusta Calidia wrote: No, you don't have to use the "vortex thing." You can continue to use NMM by manually downloading your mods. You then install them by using an "install from file" button or by dragging and dropping them into NMM. It's really quite easy.

How about post a youtube video.
"Nexus mods with out using Vortex"
I bet you get a ton of views might even make you rich! Hell ill donate money for that!

In response to post #64509266. #64512826, #64515326, #64517946, #64518821, #64519006, #64519246, #64519851, #64519941, #64520086, #64520291, #64520391, #64674936, #64705936 are all replies on the same post.

themaniac117 wrote: Vortex is garbage. It's an overdeveloped, messy, borked mess. Nice job sabotaging the original mod manager, which worked essentially out of the box. End of an era.
slowman87 wrote: Bullshit, I have been using this even since the alpha state. With NMM had several problems, crashes, and the tool suddenly stopped managing some files, making a mess of files. Go trow your garbage elsewhere!
ErraticFox wrote: I don't see why you're even complaining. Them building the Nexus Mods API is them literally making it so much easier for any one else (who has the knowledge) to build a mod manager or something similar to compete with their own Mod Manager.
WishkahKid wrote: One persons easy is another persons bullshit. keep it simple. NMM did just that. I'm really getting tired of those who use Vortex putting down NMM. It smells like propaganda. Bottom line, let people chose for themselves. Also, don't cut off NMM in your new API, as most of your users still use NMM., which by doing so only proves that you are trying to force folks to use your new Vortex.
Ethreon wrote: Nobody is forcing you to use anything, so cut the drama, we're not in a soap opera.
Mentazm wrote: Notice it's all the non-supporters complaining about Vortex!
WishkahKid wrote: Again, what has been said is the new up coming API will not support NMM. Which is more or less saying switch over to Vortex or else. Prove this different.
Tannin42 wrote: The new API is public and documented, NMM is open-source.
The old API hasn't been turned off, so there is time.
Ethreon wrote: Leaving aside the plethora of issues NMM has/had, the damn thing has been off for around 2 years. Nobody can force anyone to use a certain mod manager, so again quit the drama and the foot stomping. There's nothing to prove, you're arguing about a non-issue.
Augusta Calidia wrote: On the files page of every mod is a button labelled "Manual Download." Silly talk about Nexusmods "forcing" people to abandon NMM either simply ignores that fact or assumes that people are so brain dead they wouldn't know how to use the manual download option.
WishkahKid wrote: Alright, I would like some clarification, can I still auto download with NMM with the new up coming API. Yes or No?. Please explain more on this. I'm only interested in using NMM.
WishkahKid wrote: As to the poster above me, there are thousands of users still using NMM. Are they also brain dead?
dmki wrote: I agree, Vortex is garbage, due to bad programming and / or lack of proper testing. However, it isn't nearly as bad as the ignorance, stupidity and aggression of Vortex fan base.
HadToRegister wrote:
WishkahKid
As to the poster above me, there are thousands of users still using NMM. Are they also brain dead?

Enough with the "Thousands of users" stuff, that's just an "Argumentum ad Populum" and has no bearing here.
Fine, you're unable to understand how vortex works, and would rather stick with a buggy Mod Manager that doesn't tell you about mod conflicts, be my guest, but don't go traipsing around here like you're Braveheart trying to to fire up his non-existent "Thousands of users"

I HATE VORTEX! Reading the comments makes me hate it even more!

Guest deleted34304850

three posts in 40 minutes going from how do you use it to you hate it. i don't think you've done enough due diligence, or even attempted to find out what you need to do in order to make a very simple program work for your benefit in that time.

when you're done with the foot-stamping hissy fit, i recomend you go to you tube and watch Gopher's videos on how to get started with vortex and go from there.