Whitescreen - Reasons

Tannin42

Every time I switch games I get the white screen glitch (alternating between white screen and vortex). I reinstalled which fixed it, until I tried switching to new vegas again. Anyone else have this problem?

Also this was after I ran out of hard drive space while downloading skyrim mods and switched to new vegas to delete some unused texture packs, not sure if that matters or not.

Do you have a lot of new vegas savegames? Have you tried temporarily moving some of them?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I too can confirm that so far (5 mins in!) the 0.17.2 seems to behave better with savegames, I put all my temporarily moved savegames back and FONV and FO4 no longer crash upon switching to them. Obvioulsy there must be something other than the 200 game restriction changed in the code because where FO4 used to crash above 140 savegames it no longe does.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

So, one minute i'm playing skyrim and the next I go into a stronghold and the game just kind of freezes. So I hard restarted my laptop and tried to run Vortex but it just started doing the crazy white screen and endless messages saying it's crashed yadayada. I currently have very limited internet access so I can't download anything. I was able to verify the integrity of the game, which was fine, and when I'm quick enough I can get the launcher up but as soon as I select load or continue it crashes before the actual game launches. I'm currently on a business trip but even with the internet turned off at home it was working just fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello,

So, one minute i'm playing skyrim and the next I go into a stronghold and the game just kind of freezes. So I hard restarted my laptop and tried to run Vortex but it just started doing the crazy white screen and endless messages saying it's crashed yadayada. I currently have very limited internet access so I can't download anything. I was able to verify the integrity of the game, which was fine, and when I'm quick enough I can get the launcher up but as soon as I select load or continue it crashes before the actual game launches. I'm currently on a business trip but even with the internet turned off at home it was working just fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You should post your problem in the Support Forum, not in the sticky.

• 4 weeks later...

It's not uncommon for applications to crash when closed because that's where everything gets cleaned up which is a natural place to stumble over something that got messed up earlier.

Imagine the developer allocated a chunk of memory to store an image in, freed it wasn't needed any longer but didn't mark it as freed. On application close an automatism might then try to free that same chunk of memory again - which then causes a crash.

Even though from the user perspective nothing "bad" happens in this case, it's still a bug I would take very seriously if it was in my code because it indicates memory management in general isn't cleanly implemented, which could also lead to memory leaks or crashes at runtime under different circumstances.

Afaict the "Unidentified exception 2" for example is this kind of scenario: the msxml.dll from some ancient MS Office version causes Vortex to crash, but it appears to happen during application shutdown so users are often confused why Vortex says it crashed at all. For all we know it may actually be crashing a lot of applications in this way and Vortex is just the only one that makes you aware of it.