Why are Modders leaving Nexus

kenmorlock

Right... and many modders don't actually leave, but (like me) take breaks. Emma once told me you either need to mod or play. You can do both but it's hard. At least for me it is. Then, try and juggle life atop that. There's only so many hours in a day. And they go by WAY too fast.

A lot of modders feel that nexus is losing touch with its users.

Also its great having a membership and being uncapped but there is other mod sites that are dedicated to most games now that have uncapped mod downloads and you dont have to pay for a membership to download the mods you want, at the speed you already pay your internet provider for.

In short there fallin behind with the user and the way games release mods ,its a shame really ....

Edited by LeeTheG666

A lot of modders feel that nexus is losing touch with its users.

Also its great having a membership and being uncapped but there is other mod sites that are dedicated to most games now that have uncapped mod downloads and you dont have to pay for a membership to download the mods you want, at the speed you already pay your internet provider for.

In short there fallin behind with the user and the way games release mods ,its a shame really ....

No modder feels that way and the nexus is only growing larger everyday. Speed caps are important because it costs the nexus a lot of money to provide unlimited speed and one payment to get unlimited speed beats out others subscription based methods. Also a lot of mod sites have speed caps that people don't really notice because folks don't pay attention.

I don't want to post this as confrontational.. however this post implies that the Nexus itself is the cause of people leaving. For my part, the Nexus is an incredible service to both mod creators like me and of course the users. Imagine will you if the site itself disappeared tomorrow...

I mix frequently in the appropriate Discord channels with many other long time mod creators. I do not get a sense that it is something that Nexus is 'doing' to cause people to choose to leave. Modders from time to time leave the hobby, this is down to so many factors that I think it's wrong to second guess their reasons for doing so.

Being a mod creator can very easily become like a second job, where there are demands and expectations placed upon you. I know myself that I have from time to time got a bit burnt out on it, or real life takes priority. If so, I walk away for a bit until the itch to create returns.

Anyway, like I say. I hope that this post title does not mislead people into believing the Nexus is doing something wrong. In my mind they provide an excellent service and with donation points.. it's never really been better for Mod authors than it is now.

Jeir surely is correct on many of those things. I'm burned out, and have a lot going on in my life. I disappeared several times. Am back, but for how long, I know not. As for modding, I may do something for Skyrim if I find some extra time. Truth is, I found that I like playing much more than modding.

I feel burned out on occasion, trying to finish my first house mod. But this is my Favorite Game EVER (since rls day). And I've played plenty of games. Lately when I get a little burned out on making my mod, I actually play for awhile again, and after a couple days i'm ready to get into the CK again! ;)

Edited by c0ax599

I don't want to post this as confrontational.. however this post implies that the Nexus itself is the cause of people leaving. <snip>

I love this site, but I find as active as this site is, I do not find or get help in my modding aspirations here most of the time. I post a topic in this forum, that I think it pretty relevant, and they go unanswered most of the time. Even when I Know there's people that know the answers are not responding. Tho I didn't want to ask them the question by name. That sure doesn't help people wanna keep asking questions here.

I mix frequently in the appropriate Discord channels with many other long time mod creators. I do not get a sense that it is something that Nexus is 'doing' to cause people to choose to leave. Modders from time to time leave the hobby, this is down to so many factors that I think it's wrong to second guess their reasons for doing so. <snip>

a lot of times, someone is not gonna say why they left. I've been on other forums, and seen people posted they left here cause of some people here. No reason specified, I do not know why. But it made me wonder.

Being a mod creator can very easily become like a second job, where there are demands and expectations placed upon you. I know myself that I have from time to time got a bit burnt out on it, or real life takes priority. If so, I walk away for a bit until the itch to create returns. <snip>

That doesn't mean people leave the forums for long periods of time, tho that's possible. I see that situation you mention happening if someone joins a team. That can lead to unintended dynamics. But most modders don't get burnt out that bad, unless they move to another game.

Anyway, like I say. I hope that this post title does not mislead people into believing the Nexus is doing something wrong. In my mind they provide an excellent service and with donation points.. it's never really been better for Mod authors than it is now.

<snip>

I agree, and I love Nexus, BUT, there are some *attitudes* here amongst long time users, that they're somehow better, than the masses here. I've seen it in comments to questions, especially ones asking about converting mods, etc. There's never any hand holding and explaining, just NO you can't do that.

I disagree there about the Skyrim/SE thing. I honest to god do not think most modders of Skyrim, that NEVER knew Skyrim SE was gonna happen, meant that. They meant OTHER GAMES! The seeming attitude, on using resources from one game to another? Is Skyrim not Skyrim SE? I mean, I've seen in modders resources, nifs from the Witcher3??

How the hell is that ok? Permission from the makers of Witcher3? I dun think so. Seen some stuff in other modders resources, and mods also.

Definitely seems like a double standard here that might rub some of us wrong. I got a mod I might release soon. I'm all worried about all the modders resources in it. Example, some modders resources, use other people resources........ I mean, and they give credits to who they can I guess, and then there's always the disclaimer, something about anything all permissions are of the original authors.. pfft? Wtf is that? Now what? For instance, I've used some stuff by Insanity, that were in other peoples modders resources.. And I found that out later. Do I got to credit him? I think so, but you see how all mixed up this can get.... Alot of the modders resource files here on Nexus btw, have NO readme's or txt files in them.To me, that makes it harder to figure out what came from where and who.

I do love Nexus, but I can see why some may get a bad taste in their mouths.

c0AX599

Edited by c0ax599

How the hell is that ok? Permission from the makers of Witcher3? I dun think so.

CDPR actually gave permission for assets in free mods. We checked it extensively.

"I disagree there about the Skyrim/SE thing. I honest to god do not think most modders of Skyrim, that NEVER knew Skyrim SE was gonna happen, meant that. They meant OTHER GAMES! "

What about that? I used to be here during Skyrim, noone knew about SE coming out. I think that question in the permissions back in Skyrim days, didn't take that into account. I bet it's fine with Bethesda if nifs/textures are ok to be used between the two games, which are basically the same and I bet most modders don't care either about that. If I dig, and I think i've already seen some, assets from both games and even OB and MW being used in this game (SSE). There's a mod for SSE with "Morrowind" Dwemer textures that I swear I used in a MW mod back in the day. Could be wrong. But I don't think someone just recreated that stuff on their own. How can that be used from game to game?

Heavy Handed stuff like that kind of makes me sour. BUT, hope ya don't ban me for speaking. Fact is, if i was working, and had some money I would prolly donate. I do think it's a.. the BEST site for Skyrim SE mods, and I know it caters to other games to, so I do like it.

c0AX599

• 3 years later...

I can't help but notice some of the long time modders are pulling mods off of Nexus...

Does anyone have a answer as to whats going on and why....and honestly,how to get them back?

Or does Nexus feel they can do without these modders who have been doing nothing but great work?

Im a bit ticked their leaving....and others should be also....And Nexus shouldnt be the place

for these modders to leave but rather come together...WTF is going on?

Did nexus just have people steal their intellectual property outside us jurisdiction? Why are their stolen ip allowed on nexus.. are any legally protected.. if so they should check.. this is outrageous.. they just decided to allow stolen ip since they wouldnt take part.

I can't help but notice some of the long time modders are pulling mods off of Nexus...

Does anyone have a answer as to whats going on and why....and honestly,how to get them back?

Or does Nexus feel they can do without these modders who have been doing nothing but great work?

Im a bit ticked their leaving....and others should be also....And Nexus shouldnt be the place

for these modders to leave but rather come together...WTF is going on?

Did nexus just have people steal their intellectual property outside us jurisdiction? Why are their stolen ip allowed on nexus.. are any legally protected.. if so they should check.. this is outrageous.. they just decided to allow stolen ip since they wouldnt take part.

Did you confirm any stolen IP? Report anything? Do anything other than throw accusations at the Nexus team?