Vortex 1.0 Release

BigBizkit

In response to post #72201748. #72201883 is also a reply to the same post.

YulexHaruka wrote: Ok I am seriously not ok with this. NMM a mess? then what the hell do you call the hot garbage that is vortex? You assholes forced the api out of availability for NMM, a mod organizer which, until today, I had NEVER had any issues with! In so doing! you twats trashed a mod setup that I have had for 5+ years! 5+ years of painstaking fine tuning for my twitch channel! Now I have to sit here for the next several days! fighting with trash vortex! Just so I can go back to my f***ing job! One thing is for certain, never again will I endorse ANYTHING made by nexus devs. You screwed me over, betrayed my trust, and made me lose a good chunk of my livelihood in the process -_-
Dark0ne wrote: Deary me. I'm not sure which is worse - your potty mouth, or your inability to read instructions.

I can read instructions ^_^ Question is why are you forcing us to use a mod organizer we want no part of? -_-

In response to post #72201748. #72201883, #72202448, #72202563, #72202773, #72203258, #72203613 are all replies on the same post.

YulexHaruka wrote: Ok I am seriously not ok with this. NMM a mess? then what the hell do you call the hot garbage that is vortex? You assholes forced the api out of availability for NMM, a mod organizer which, until today, I had NEVER had any issues with! In so doing! you twats trashed a mod setup that I have had for 5+ years! 5+ years of painstaking fine tuning for my twitch channel! Now I have to sit here for the next several days! fighting with trash vortex! Just so I can go back to my f***ing job! One thing is for certain, never again will I endorse ANYTHING made by nexus devs. You screwed me over, betrayed my trust, and made me lose a good chunk of my livelihood in the process -_-
Dark0ne wrote: Deary me. I'm not sure which is worse - your potty mouth, or your inability to read instructions.
YulexHaruka wrote: I can read instructions ^_^ Question is why are you forcing us to use a mod organizer we want no part of? -_-
YulexHaruka wrote: no comment? of course not smh.
Dark0ne wrote: If you had read, you would know we haven't forced anything on anyone, you simply need to update your NMM to the latest community version. "Smh" indeed.
YulexHaruka wrote: Like I said, I did read, however, nexus has broke NMM somehow and continues to reject API tokens. ^_^' You say one thing, but the actions taken say another.
DSPiron wrote:
In response to post #72201748. #72201883, #72202448, #72202563, #72202773, #72203258 are all replies on the same post.

YulexHaruka wrote: I can read instructions ^_^ Question is why are you forcing us to use a mod organizer we want no part of? -_-Dark0ne wrote: Deary me. I'm not sure which is worse - your potty mouth, or your inability to read instructions.YulexHaruka wrote: Ok I am seriously not ok with this. NMM a mess? then what the hell do you call the hot garbage that is vortex? You assholes forced the api out of availability for NMM, a mod organizer which, until today, I had NEVER had any issues with! In so doing! you twats trashed a mod setup that I have had for 5+ years! 5+ years of painstaking fine tuning for my twitch channel! Now I have to sit here for the next several days! fighting with trash vortex! Just so I can go back to my f***ing job! One thing is for certain, never again will I endorse ANYTHING made by nexus devs. You screwed me over, betrayed my trust, and made me lose a good chunk of my livelihood in the process -_-
Dark0ne wrote: If you had read, you would know we haven't forced anything on anyone, you simply need to update your NMM to the latest community version. "Smh" indeed.
YulexHaruka wrote: Like I said, I did read, however, nexus has broke NMM somehow and continues to reject API tokens. ^_^' You say one thing, but the actions taken say another.

You should probably specifcally mention that you got the community edition, that one on github, or else they will think that you are using the last official Nexus release, because plenty, plenty of people seem to miss that.

I have doubts they will help directly if that's the case, as they are no longer supporting NMM, and have passed it off to the community to handle.

If they do help, it will be by assisting the current NMM development community in fixing whatever issue is causing the community edition to not handle the API in cases like yours.

EDIT: And I should read closer myself, as the above statement does kind of imply that that's what you did.

Overall, the above was poorly thought-out way to say "Either you don't have a community version, or your issue might be with the community version (at most, there might actually be an issue with the site's API, which the staff doesn't know about)

It seems more likely a bug than malicious action.

Nexusmods has not broken NMM. In fact, Nexusmods ceased support for NMM several years ago, a fact that has not been hidden under a bushel. As DSPiron has pointed out, NMM is now independently maintained and developed on GitHub. If you have a complaint about the API, it's with them and not Nexusmods.

Who is this "We" you mention?

Why does a person who hates Vortex always insist that they are "Legion", and use an Argumentum ad populum?

If you'd take the few minutes to read the Knowledge Base, "Managing File Conflicts", "Managing your Load Order", you'd have 90% of Vortex under your belt.

NMM is a "Hot Mess", it's completely passive and only informs you that Mod B's Textures and Meshes will Overwrite Mod A's Textures and Meshes and that's it.

It allows you to make the most non-functioning load order you could ever dream of, because it just lays there and allows you to do it.

If you install two mods where the Textures and Meshes conflict, you MUST install them in the correct order, because NMM will "Hard Overwrite" the other Mod.

With Vortex, you can install the two mods in either order, then, by looking at the Mod Description page, if the modder specifically states that their mod MUST overwrite Mod B, then once Vortex tells you, "Hey Mod B is overwriting Mod A", it's merely as simple as telling vortex to Load Mod A AFTER Mod B.

You're done.

With NMM, you would've had to uninstall Mod a and Mod B Completely and do it again.

I've found that the people who hate Vortex the most, have either never used it, and have just jumped on the hate bandwagon "Because bandwagon", or have downloaded it, tried for 2 minutes, to force Vortex to be NMM, got frustrated because they didn't read the knowledge base, or watch a tutorial video, and just deemed Vortex "horrible"

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #72204323.

HadToRegister wrote:

In response to post #72201748. #72201883 is also a reply to the same post.

I can read instructions ^_^ Question is why are you forcing us to use a mod organizer we want no part of? -_-

In response to post #72201748. #72201883, #72202448, #72202563, #72202773, #72203258, #72203613 are all replies on the same post.

YulexHaruka wrote: I can read instructions ^_^ Question is why are you forcing us to use a mod organizer we want no part of? -_-
DSPiron wrote:
In response to post #72201748. #72201883, #72202448, #72202563, #72202773, #72203258 are all replies on the same post.

YulexHaruka wrote: I can read instructions ^_^ Question is why are you forcing us to use a mod organizer we want no part of? -_-Dark0ne wrote: Deary me. I'm not sure which is worse - your potty mouth, or your inability to read instructions.YulexHaruka wrote: Ok I am seriously not ok with this. NMM a mess? then what the hell do you call the hot garbage that is vortex? You assholes forced the api out of availability for NMM, a mod organizer which, until today, I had NEVER had any issues with! In so doing! you twats trashed a mod setup that I have had for 5+ years! 5+ years of painstaking fine tuning for my twitch channel! Now I have to sit here for the next several days! fighting with trash vortex! Just so I can go back to my f***ing job! One thing is for certain, never again will I endorse ANYTHING made by nexus devs. You screwed me over, betrayed my trust, and made me lose a good chunk of my livelihood in the process -_-

You should probably specifcally mention that you got the community edition, that one on github, or else they will think that you are using the last official Nexus release, because plenty, plenty of people seem to miss that.
I have doubts they will help directly if that's the case, as they are no longer supporting NMM, and have passed it off to the community to handle.
If they do help, it will be by assisting the current NMM development community in fixing whatever issue is causing the community edition to not handle the API in cases like yours.

EDIT: And I should read closer myself, as the above statement does kind of imply that that's what you did.
Overall, the above was poorly thought-out way to say "Either you don't have a community version, or your issue might be with the community version (at most, there might actually be an issue with the site's API, which the staff doesn't know about)
It seems more likely a bug than malicious action.

Nexusmods has not broken NMM. In fact, Nexusmods ceased support for NMM several years ago, a fact that has not been hidden under a bushel. As DSPiron has pointed out, NMM is now independently maintained and developed on GitHub. If you have a complaint about the API, it's with them and not Nexusmods.

Who is this "We" you mention?

Why does a person who hates Vortex always insist that they are "Legion", and use an Argumentum ad populum?

If you'd take the few minutes to read the Knowledge Base, "Managing File Conflicts", "Managing your Load Order", you'd have 90% of Vortex under your belt.

NMM is a "Hot Mess", it's completely passive and only informs you that Mod B's Textures and Meshes will Overwrite Mod A's Textures and Meshes and that's it.
It allows you to make the most non-functioning load order you could ever dream of, because it just lays there and allows you to do it.

If you install two mods where the Textures and Meshes conflict, you MUST install them in the correct order, because NMM will "Hard Overwrite" the other Mod.
With Vortex, you can install the two mods in either order, then, by looking at the Mod Description page, if the modder specifically states that their mod MUST overwrite Mod B, then once Vortex tells you, "Hey Mod B is overwriting Mod A", it's merely as simple as telling vortex to Load Mod A AFTER Mod B.
You're done.
With NMM, you would've had to uninstall Mod a and Mod B Completely and do it again.

I've found that the people who hate Vortex the most, have either never used it, and have just jumped on the hate bandwagon "Because bandwagon", or have downloaded it, tried for 2 minutes, to force Vortex to be NMM, got frustrated because they didn't read the knowledge base, or watch a tutorial video, and just deemed Vortex "horrible"

Well put HadToRegister. I've only very recently began modding Fallout 4 (and boy oh boy what a journey it is), but I eventually got everything working. Being someone who jumped into modding flat with Vortex, I can say Vortex really isn't all that bad. I've had infinitely less crashes and CTD's using Vortex on PC than I've had using Beth-net's manager and trying to sort mods myself on the Xbox Console. (That's just console though, its atrocious to mod on.) I've been playing Fallout 4 on PC for neigh on 5 months now and only had 5 CTD's in all that time.

I think the DEV's earned my approval of this manager. I am looking forward to seeing what else they add in the future.
Congratz on Version 1.0 folks! I'd bake a cake, but I don't have eggs... or any of the other ingredients for that matter...

Ever since I updated to the new Vortex (was using vortex before too), my SKSE64 broke and even reinstalling it doesn't work. Says that it wasn't installed correctly and game crashes upon saving. Anyone else have this issue?

Ever since I updated to the new Vortex (was using vortex before too), my SKSE64 broke and even reinstalling it doesn't work. Says that it wasn't installed correctly and game crashes upon saving. Anyone else have this issue?

Post this in the Vortex Support forum, not in the Vortex 1.0 Release thread.

In response to post #72188123. #72193033, #72193288 are all replies on the same post.

JacobBruce wrote: "considering the mess that NMM was (and still is) in"

I don't really agree with this, the Community Edition is working fine for me with a complex FO4 setup and Vortex isn't perfect either. The manual control over the load order NMM provides is kind of nice to have too. However I do use Vortex for my more recent modded games and I do see the advantages to how it works, overall it is a better approach that helps reduce issues. The way you can create rules for which files get overwritten is nice. But I still see advantages to both NMM and Vortex in certain cases, one thing I can't seem to do in Vortex is simply export my load order. I like to save my load order any time I change it so I can go back and compare my current load order to my previous load orders if necessary. I get why you cannot import a load order but an export function would be good.
BigBizkit wrote: As the makers of NMM and Vortex we know what we are talking about when we are saying that NMM is in a bit of a messy state at this point - which is unsurprising considering it is based on code written for games that are now over 10 years old (Oblivion and Fallout 3).

It's one of the reasons why we opted to start from scratch with Vortex rather than to update NMM. More details are laid out here:: https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Vortex_vs._Nexus_Mod_Manager

That being said, if it works fine for you, suits your needs, and your mod setup is stable - by all means - keep using it.
Dark0ne wrote:
That being said, if it works fine for you, suits your needs, and your mod setup is stable - by all means - keep using it.

There is a caveat to this, in that you understand that continuing to use NMM is akin to rolling the dice with your mod setup. There are issues with NMM that mean it cannot keep a proper, complete roster of all the files it manages/changes at all times and thus, it's pure luck as to whether it will be able to successfully manage your mod setup moving forward. Worse, it could break at the most inopportune time during your playthrough if you make any changes.

Like I said, I only use it for my games which are already set up with NMM, I use Vortex for my newer setups. However for those of us who have more experience with modding and we understand the file overwriting process that NMM uses, it's a perfectly usable way to manage mods and it's not based on pure luck at all. And I still do use NMM to manage my Skyrim SE load order even though I use Vortex to install mods for Skyrim SE. As many people have pointed out there are benefits to having more control over your load order, especially if you're an experienced modder or mod maker. I can understand if you don't want to implement it on Vortex but refusing to acknowledge the benefits in it is silly.

Like I said, I only use it for my games which are already set up with NMM, I use Vortex for my newer setups. However for those of us who have more experience with modding and we understand the file overwriting process that NMM uses, it's a perfectly usable way to manage mods and it's not based on pure luck at all. And I still do use NMM to manage my Skyrim SE load order even though I use Vortex to install mods for Skyrim SE. As many people have pointed out there are benefits to having more control over your load order, especially if you're an experienced modder or mod maker. I can understand if you don't want to implement it on Vortex but refusing to acknowledge the benefits in it is silly.

Don't you ever find it strange that when people complain about having to use Vortex instead of NMM, they always express how LONG and TEDIOUS it's going to take to install, and get all their mods to work together again?

"Oh god, this is going to take me FOREVER to install these mods with Vortex...it took me FOREVER to get these mods working with NMM, I don't want to have to do it again"

That dread comes from those people remembering what an absolute CHORE it was installing all those mods with NMM and getting them to work properly.

That should speak volumes

---------------------

I've been modding since 2003

I consider myself an "Experienced Modder"

And at first I refused to change, and started thread after thread about "Manual Load Order" for Vortex, because NMM made me think it was necessary, mainly because I hate change, and I hadn't actually LEARNED about Vortex, but I wanted to complain about Vortex before I spent time learning it, and from what I understood at the time, and the few minutes I had spent with Vortex, made me believe that Vortex was just "tooooo haaaaard"

(You should've seen me complain about the New Website Change, back when they switched)

Once I learned it, I can download mods en masse, install them in any order I want, then assign the rules to the mods that NEED to be installed in a certain order, and I'm good to go.

And I'm literally talking anywhere from a half hour to a couple of hours, rather than a few DAYS.

So, NO, Manual Sorting (in the NMM sense) is not needed, and is much more sturdy in Vortex, IF YOU TAKE THE TIME TO LEARN AND UNDERSTAND IT.

The only people (I used to be one) who INSIST on Manual Load Ordering, are trying to hang on to old bad habits ingrained by NMM.

Vortex requires a different way of thinking.

NMM allowed you to do bad things with your plugin load order, while doing NOTHING about the Load Order of important things like Textures, Meshes, BSA, BA2 etc.

When I first started using Vortex, I insisted on trying to make Vortex do what NMM didn't care that I did, I tried to make Vortex put plugins in any haphazard order I wanted them in.

Once I realized that Vortex focuses on the actual IMPORTANT Load Order, which is Textures/Meshes/BSA/BA2 etc, I stopped trying to force my pointless ESP load order on Vortex, and let Vortex handle the ESPs, while freeing me up to make sure that textures and meshes from one mod properly overwrote, or were overwritten by another mod.

For the very first time, I loaded up familiar mods, I had been using for YEARS, for FO3, FONV, Oblivion etc, and had them, FINALLY, show up properly in the game, while Vortex handled my ESPS with no problem.

YES, I've had to manually sort a few ESPs but in my SSE 260 mod, and FO4 279 mod set ups, the number of ESPs manually sorted average around SIX, for both games, TOTAL.

I still do my patch creating, and esp editing with Xedit, but I'm free from worrying about any nonsensical "Plugin Load Order Guide" because they aren't needed.

And the ONE TIME, I ran into a sorting snag, I was able to join the LOOT Discord server, and within minutes, a small oversight to a sorting rule was changed

In response to post #72220143.

HadToRegister wrote:

Don't you ever find it strange that when people complain about having to use Vortex instead of NMM, they always express how LONG and TEDIOUS it's going to take to install, and get all their mods to work together again?

"Oh god, this is going to take me FOREVER to install these mods with Vortex...it took me FOREVER to get these mods working with NMM, I don't want to have to do it again"

That dread comes from those people remembering what an absolute CHORE it was installing all those mods with NMM and getting them to work properly.

That should speak volumes

---------------------

I've been modding since 2003
I consider myself an "Experienced Modder"

And at first I refused to change, and started thread after thread about "Manual Load Order" for Vortex, because NMM made me think it was necessary, mainly because I hate change, and I hadn't actually LEARNED about Vortex, but I wanted to complain about Vortex before I spent time learning it, and from what I understood at the time, and the few minutes I had spent with Vortex, made me believe that Vortex was just "tooooo haaaaard"
(You should've seen me complain about the New Website Change, back when they switched)

Once I learned it, I can download mods en masse, install them in any order I want, then assign the rules to the mods that NEED to be installed in a certain order, and I'm good to go.
And I'm literally talking anywhere from a half hour to a couple of hours, rather than a few DAYS.

So, NO, Manual Sorting (in the NMM sense) is not needed, and is much more sturdy in Vortex, IF YOU TAKE THE TIME TO LEARN AND UNDERSTAND IT.

The only people (I used to be one) who INSIST on Manual Load Ordering, are trying to hang on to old bad habits ingrained by NMM.

Vortex requires a different way of thinking.

NMM allowed you to do bad things with your plugin load order, while doing NOTHING about the Load Order of important things like Textures, Meshes, BSA, BA2 etc.

When I first started using Vortex, I insisted on trying to make Vortex do what NMM didn't care that I did, I tried to make Vortex put plugins in any haphazard order I wanted them in.
Once I realized that Vortex focuses on the actual IMPORTANT Load Order, which is Textures/Meshes/BSA/BA2 etc, I stopped trying to force my pointless ESP load order on Vortex, and let Vortex handle the ESPs, while freeing me up to make sure that textures and meshes from one mod properly overwrote, or were overwritten by another mod.

For the very first time, I loaded up familiar mods, I had been using for YEARS, for FO3, FONV, Oblivion etc, and had them, FINALLY, show up properly in the game, while Vortex handled my ESPS with no problem.

YES, I've had to manually sort a few ESPs but in my SSE 260 mod, and FO4 279 mod set ups, the number of ESPs manually sorted average around SIX, for both games, TOTAL.
I still do my patch creating, and esp editing with Xedit, but I'm free from worrying about any nonsensical "Plugin Load Order Guide" because they aren't needed.

And the ONE TIME, I ran into a sorting snag, I was able to join the LOOT Discord server, and within minutes, a small oversight to a sorting rule was changed

Just to be clear I'm not complaining, I'm mostly trying to provide some reasoning for the other side of the argument. Personally I do like using Vortex and with my New California setup I let Vortex completely manage my load order and it works nicely. However, once again, there are situations where I prefer to have manual control over the load order so I know exactly what forms are being overwritten and control when the load order changes. Typically I do use LOOT to sort my load orders but after that I like to handle it all manually, saving my previous load orders to debug issues and create the most stable load order possible. That's only one potential case, there are multiple other situations where manual sorting is preferable, these situations may not be common for the everyday mod user but they exist and have been expressed by many members here. What I really don't understand is this insistence that one way is completely superior and the "old way" must be forgotten, I just don't think that's valid or logical. The simplest solution would be an option to enable "manual load order sorting" for those who really want that feature, but once again it's not a huge concern for me because there are other ways to sort my load order without Vortex.

Edited by JacobBruce

In response to post #72229013.

Ghostxd1 wrote: When i keep trying to install the new update my installer crashes does anyone know how to fix this?

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/forum/4306-vortex-support/
The active link is found at the end of the news release above. Edited by Augusta Calidia