Vortex 1.0 Release

BigBizkit

Guest deleted34304850

In response to post #72220143.

HadToRegister wrote:

Like I said, I only use it for my games which are already set up with NMM, I use Vortex for my newer setups. However for those of us who have more experience with modding and we understand the file overwriting process that NMM uses, it's a perfectly usable way to manage mods and it's not based on pure luck at all. And I still do use NMM to manage my Skyrim SE load order even though I use Vortex to install mods for Skyrim SE. As many people have pointed out there are benefits to having more control over your load order, especially if you're an experienced modder or mod maker. I can understand if you don't want to implement it on Vortex but refusing to acknowledge the benefits in it is silly.

Don't you ever find it strange that when people complain about having to use Vortex instead of NMM, they always express how LONG and TEDIOUS it's going to take to install, and get all their mods to work together again?

"Oh god, this is going to take me FOREVER to install these mods with Vortex...it took me FOREVER to get these mods working with NMM, I don't want to have to do it again"

That dread comes from those people remembering what an absolute CHORE it was installing all those mods with NMM and getting them to work properly.

That should speak volumes

---------------------

I've been modding since 2003

I consider myself an "Experienced Modder"

And at first I refused to change, and started thread after thread about "Manual Load Order" for Vortex, because NMM made me think it was necessary, mainly because I hate change, and I hadn't actually LEARNED about Vortex, but I wanted to complain about Vortex before I spent time learning it, and from what I understood at the time, and the few minutes I had spent with Vortex, made me believe that Vortex was just "tooooo haaaaard"

(You should've seen me complain about the New Website Change, back when they switched)

Once I learned it, I can download mods en masse, install them in any order I want, then assign the rules to the mods that NEED to be installed in a certain order, and I'm good to go.

And I'm literally talking anywhere from a half hour to a couple of hours, rather than a few DAYS.

So, NO, Manual Sorting (in the NMM sense) is not needed, and is much more sturdy in Vortex, IF YOU TAKE THE TIME TO LEARN AND UNDERSTAND IT.

The only people (I used to be one) who INSIST on Manual Load Ordering, are trying to hang on to old bad habits ingrained by NMM.

Vortex requires a different way of thinking.

NMM allowed you to do bad things with your plugin load order, while doing NOTHING about the Load Order of important things like Textures, Meshes, BSA, BA2 etc.

When I first started using Vortex, I insisted on trying to make Vortex do what NMM didn't care that I did, I tried to make Vortex put plugins in any haphazard order I wanted them in.

Once I realized that Vortex focuses on the actual IMPORTANT Load Order, which is Textures/Meshes/BSA/BA2 etc, I stopped trying to force my pointless ESP load order on Vortex, and let Vortex handle the ESPs, while freeing me up to make sure that textures and meshes from one mod properly overwrote, or were overwritten by another mod.

For the very first time, I loaded up familiar mods, I had been using for YEARS, for FO3, FONV, Oblivion etc, and had them, FINALLY, show up properly in the game, while Vortex handled my ESPS with no problem.

YES, I've had to manually sort a few ESPs but in my SSE 260 mod, and FO4 279 mod set ups, the number of ESPs manually sorted average around SIX, for both games, TOTAL.

I still do my patch creating, and esp editing with Xedit, but I'm free from worrying about any nonsensical "Plugin Load Order Guide" because they aren't needed.

And the ONE TIME, I ran into a sorting snag, I was able to join the LOOT Discord server, and within minutes, a small oversight to a sorting rule was changed

Just to be clear I'm not complaining, I'm mostly trying to provide some reasoning for the other side of the argument. Personally I do like using Vortex and with my New California setup I let Vortex completely manage my load order and it works nicely. However, once again, there are situations where I prefer to have manual control over the load order so I know exactly what forms are being overwritten and control when the load order changes. Typically I do use LOOT to sort my load orders but after that I like to handle it all manually, saving my previous load orders to debug issues and create the most stable load order possible. That's only one potential case, there are multiple other situations where manual sorting is preferable, these situations may not be common for the everyday mod user but they exist and have been expressed by many members here. What I really don't understand is this insistence that one way is completely superior and the "old way" must be forgotten, I just don't think that's valid or logical. The simplest solution would be an option to enable "manual load order sorting" for those who really want that feature, but once again it's not a huge concern for me because there are other ways to sort my load order without Vortex.

you are aware that manual load ordering is entirely possible in vortex, aren't you?

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Vortex! As a modding novice, I started out with the beta last year, flirted with switching to MO2 upon someone's recommendation, which was a disaster, and have been happily using Vortex ever since. I hope it gets the credit it is due, as it seems much more user-friendly than other tools.

In response to post #72142518. #72142618 is also a reply to the same post.

Kaspar482 wrote: I don't know if this has changed in version 1.0, but in a previous version installed vortex on a separate partition (drive D:). I later reinstalled windows (drive C:) with D untouched. Skyrim still works but Vortex lost all settings, install data, basicallly the whole setup. Would be cool if Vortex stores all its settings in the same install folder to avoid this windows reinstall mess.
Pickysaurus wrote: Vortex uses the AppData folder, which I believe always has to be on the OS partition (C:\) - reinstalling Windows would likely break a lot of programs if the AppData folder is removed/reset.

We do have a help article that is somewhat related here. It discusses the safest way to move a Vortex install between PCs, which is very similar to reinstalling the OS.

The same thing happened to me. I reinstall Windows every month, and I don't even have space available in C to have things there. I guess I will stick to MO2.

In response to post #72142518. #72142618 is also a reply to the same post.

Kaspar482 wrote: I don't know if this has changed in version 1.0, but in a previous version installed vortex on a separate partition (drive D:). I later reinstalled windows (drive C:) with D untouched. Skyrim still works but Vortex lost all settings, install data, basicallly the whole setup. Would be cool if Vortex stores all its settings in the same install folder to avoid this windows reinstall mess.
Pickysaurus wrote: Vortex uses the AppData folder, which I believe always has to be on the OS partition (C:\) - reinstalling Windows would likely break a lot of programs if the AppData folder is removed/reset.

We do have a help article that is somewhat related here. It discusses the safest way to move a Vortex install between PCs, which is very similar to reinstalling the OS.

The same thing happened to me. I reinstall Windows every month, and I don't even have space available in C to have things there. I guess I will stick to MO2.

All you need to do is put your Download Folder, Mod Staging Folder on another drive, as long as the Mod Staging Folder is on the same drive as the game.

MO2, MO, and NMM does the exact same thing, so you're not going to save any space.

In response to post #72232503.

1ae0bfb8 wrote:

HadToRegister wrote:

Like I said, I only use it for my games which are already set up with NMM, I use Vortex for my newer setups. However for those of us who have more experience with modding and we understand the file overwriting process that NMM uses, it's a perfectly usable way to manage mods and it's not based on pure luck at all. And I still do use NMM to manage my Skyrim SE load order even though I use Vortex to install mods for Skyrim SE. As many people have pointed out there are benefits to having more control over your load order, especially if you're an experienced modder or mod maker. I can understand if you don't want to implement it on Vortex but refusing to acknowledge the benefits in it is silly.

Don't you ever find it strange that when people complain about having to use Vortex instead of NMM, they always express how LONG and TEDIOUS it's going to take to install, and get all their mods to work together again?
"Oh god, this is going to take me FOREVER to install these mods with Vortex...it took me FOREVER to get these mods working with NMM, I don't want to have to do it again"

That dread comes from those people remembering what an absolute CHORE it was installing all those mods with NMM and getting them to work properly.

---------------------

And at first I refused to change, and started thread after thread about "Manual Load Order" for Vortex, because NMM made me think it was necessary, mainly because I hate change, and I hadn't actually LEARNED about Vortex, but I wanted to complain about Vortex before I spent time learning it, and from what I understood at the time, and the few minutes I had spent with Vortex, made me believe that Vortex was just "tooooo haaaaard"
(You should've seen me complain about the New Website Change, back when they switched)

Once I learned it, I can download mods en masse, install them in any order I want, then assign the rules to the mods that NEED to be installed in a certain order, and I'm good to go.
And I'm literally talking anywhere from a half hour to a couple of hours, rather than a few DAYS.

So, NO, Manual Sorting (in the NMM sense) is not needed, and is much more sturdy in Vortex, IF YOU TAKE THE TIME TO LEARN AND UNDERSTAND IT.
The only people (I used to be one) who INSIST on Manual Load Ordering, are trying to hang on to old bad habits ingrained by NMM.

NMM allowed you to do bad things with your plugin load order, while doing NOTHING about the Load Order of important things like Textures, Meshes, BSA, BA2 etc.

When I first started using Vortex, I insisted on trying to make Vortex do what NMM didn't care that I did, I tried to make Vortex put plugins in any haphazard order I wanted them in.
Once I realized that Vortex focuses on the actual IMPORTANT Load Order, which is Textures/Meshes/BSA/BA2 etc, I stopped trying to force my pointless ESP load order on Vortex, and let Vortex handle the ESPs, while freeing me up to make sure that textures and meshes from one mod properly overwrote, or were overwritten by another mod.

For the very first time, I loaded up familiar mods, I had been using for YEARS, for FO3, FONV, Oblivion etc, and had them, FINALLY, show up properly in the game, while Vortex handled my ESPS with no problem.

YES, I've had to manually sort a few ESPs but in my SSE 260 mod, and FO4 279 mod set ups, the number of ESPs manually sorted average around SIX, for both games, TOTAL.
I still do my patch creating, and esp editing with Xedit, but I'm free from worrying about any nonsensical "Plugin Load Order Guide" because they aren't needed.

And the ONE TIME, I ran into a sorting snag, I was able to join the LOOT Discord server, and within minutes, a small oversight to a sorting rule was changed

Just to be clear I'm not complaining, I'm mostly trying to provide some reasoning for the other side of the argument. Personally I do like using Vortex and with my New California setup I let Vortex completely manage my load order and it works nicely. However, once again, there are situations where I prefer to have manual control over the load order so I know exactly what forms are being overwritten and control when the load order changes. Typically I do use LOOT to sort my load orders but after that I like to handle it all manually, saving my previous load orders to debug issues and create the most stable load order possible. That's only one potential case, there are multiple other situations where manual sorting is preferable, these situations may not be common for the everyday mod user but they exist and have been expressed by many members here. What I really don't understand is this insistence that one way is completely superior and the "old way" must be forgotten, I just don't think that's valid or logical. The simplest solution would be an option to enable "manual load order sorting" for those who really want that feature, but once again it's not a huge concern for me because there are other ways to sort my load order without Vortex.

you are aware that manual load ordering is entirely possible in vortex, aren't you?

As far as I can tell there is no simple drag-and-drop method for manually sorting the load order, you can create rules and disable auto sorting but that requires more effort which is why myself and many others here still use NMM to manually sort our load order in situations where it's preferable. Edited by JacobBruce

1ae0bfb8 wrote:

HadToRegister wrote:

---------------------

As far as I can tell there is no simple drag-and-drop method for manually sorting the load order, you can create rules and disable auto sorting but that requires more effort which is why myself and many others here still use NMM to manually sort our load order in situations where it's preferable.

The whole point is you don't need to manually sort the entire load order to begin with.

It's NMM that has you convinced you that you need to, mainly because NMM allows you to make a complete mess of your load order without saying anything.

Of the 279 Fallout 4 mods I have installed, I've only "manually sorted" 9 plugins, by either assigning them to a group so they will load near the end of the load order, or by dragging one after another and setting a "LOAD AFTER" rule.

The rest are done by LOOT.

Of the 260 Skyrim SE mods I have installed, I've only 'manually sorted' 8 plugins, by either assigning each one to a group, dragging one plugin after another and clicking APPLY when the rule box pops up, or clicking "Manage Rules (For plugins that are too far apart to drag (extreme case) and setting the rules, which takes just a few seconds.

I get it, people hate change, I was one of those people, once I found out that my game stopped crashing because I wasn't arsing up my load order by putting things in the wrong place, or following reddit "perfect load order" guides etc, I stopped worrying about my plugin load order, and was able to focus on my Textures, Meshes, BA2, and BSA load order instead. Something that Vortex notifies you of immediately when Textures and Meshes are going to overwrite each other.

The small extra effort, is far more beneficial rather than being able to drag and drop esps all willy-nilly around your load order

Guest deleted34304850

1ae0bfb8 wrote: you are aware that manual load ordering is entirely possible in vortex, aren't you?

HadToRegister wrote:

---------------------

As far as I can tell there is no simple drag-and-drop method for manually sorting the load order, you can create rules and disable auto sorting but that requires more effort which is why myself and many others here still use NMM to manually sort our load order in situations where it's preferable.

That's hilarious.

Edited by 1ae0bfb8

In response to post #72246653.

HadToRegister wrote:

1ae0bfb8 wrote:

HadToRegister wrote:

---------------------

The whole point is you don't need to manually sort the entire load order to begin with.
It's NMM that has you convinced you that you need to, mainly because NMM allows you to make a complete mess of your load order without saying anything.

Of the 279 Fallout 4 mods I have installed, I've only "manually sorted" 9 plugins, by either assigning them to a group so they will load near the end of the load order, or by dragging one after another and setting a "LOAD AFTER" rule.
The rest are done by LOOT.

Of the 260 Skyrim SE mods I have installed, I've only 'manually sorted' 8 plugins, by either assigning each one to a group, dragging one plugin after another and clicking APPLY when the rule box pops up, or clicking "Manage Rules (For plugins that are too far apart to drag (extreme case) and setting the rules, which takes just a few seconds.

I get it, people hate change, I was one of those people, once I found out that my game stopped crashing because I wasn't arsing up my load order by putting things in the wrong place, or following reddit "perfect load order" guides etc, I stopped worrying about my plugin load order, and was able to focus on my Textures, Meshes, BA2, and BSA load order instead. Something that Vortex notifies you of immediately when Textures and Meshes are going to overwrite each other.

The small extra effort, is far more beneficial rather than being able to drag and drop esps all willy-nilly around your load order

I've been modding long before NMM existed and I've developed a process that I like to follow when refining my load order. I'm not going to continue trying to justify why manual sorting has benefits, clearly some people don't find any value in it. The sorting rules work well for me on some setups I have, but there are other setups where it becomes annoying and tedious to create all the rules necessary, I even started to get conflicting rules at one point and decided it was just far easier to manually sort the load order exactly how I want it. This is especially true when I'm creating mods and I have a bunch of patches to deal with it's often simpler and quicker to manually sort things the way I want.

Once again, both approaches have their advantages like most things in life. Your own experiences don't broadly apply to everyone, just because it does everything you need doesn't mean that's true for everyone else. It has nothing to do with hating change, as I've said multiple times the new way has its advantages, it's more about having flexibility. If the aim is to make Vortex a powerful and user friendly tool I'd say manual sorting is an obvious feature to add for people who just want to make quick drag-and-drop changes to their load order without having to mess around with rules. Edited by JacobBruce

Dunno what to say i still prefer NMM & LOOT. Vortex do not resond to my needs. For example: If i reinstall Skyrim SE Vortex doesnt accept mods i already have on my pc and force me to search and reinstall my favorite mods list all over again. This mean a lot of time im not willing to invest and thats why NMM & LOOT are my tools of choice. Edited by Cristi80

In response to post #72142518. #72142618, #72238413 are all replies on the same post.

rayluchhh wrote: The same thing happened to me. I reinstall Windows every month, and I don't even have space available in C to have things there. I guess I will stick to MO2.

A simple backup folder in the install path shouldn't be that hard to add, what speaks against it?