The shaming of non-premium users needs to stop!

It is one thing to support something because you choose to and something else altogether when you are practically being forced to if you want access. Supporting NexusMods has always been an option, it should NEVER be a requirement. If you want to give your money to them, that's your problem, not mine, don't make it mine. If I want to download a mod that has been free for as long as I can remember and the creator has no intention of charging for it, then don't try to charge for the privilege of accessing it. If you start doing that you are going to see your traffic slow to a trickle and no one will put anything new here and just go somewhere else that is free.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is one thing to support something because you choose to and something else altogether when you are practically being forced to if you want access. Supporting NexusMods has always been an option, it should NEVER be a requirement. If you want to give your money to them, that's your problem, not mine, don't make it mine. If I want to download a mod that has been free for as long as I can remember and the creator has no intention of charging for it, then don't try to charge for the privilege of accessing it. If you start doing that you are going to see your traffic slow to a trickle and no one will put anything new here and just go somewhere else that is free.

No one is 'practically forcing' you to pay to access anything on this site. You and every other non-premium member in this thread are still 100% fully capable of downloading every single mod hosted on this website for absolutely no charge. If clicking one extra button and waiting 5 seconds per mod is simply a bridge too far for you then no one is practically forcing you to stay.

No one is 'practically forcing' you to pay to access anything on this site. You and every other non-premium member in this thread are still 100% fully capable of downloading every single mod hosted on this website for absolutely no charge. If clicking one extra button and waiting 5 seconds per mod is simply a bridge too far for you then no one is practically forcing you to stay.

What I was getting at is this is a slippery slope, now it is the annoyance of a wait and a pop-up, give it a few months maybe and most everything will be behind a pay wall. I can't think of one site that has gone this route that is still around or as popular as it used to be, something to consider.

What I was getting at is this is a slippery slope, now it is the annoyance of a wait and a pop-up, give it a few months maybe and most everything will be behind a pay wall. I can't think of one site that has gone this route that is still around or as popular as it used to be, something to consider.

The moment my mods are placed behind a hard paywall of any kind where I don't get a percentage is the moment I remove all my mods from Nexus Mods. But I would be overjoyed to be able to sell my mods, so take that as you will.

If you start doing that you are going to see your traffic slow to a trickle and no one will put anything new here and just go somewhere else that is free.

I'm not sure whether you realize it or not, but traffic slowing to a trickle would be beneficial to their bottom line. Less bandwidth used = less bill for that month.

And you're quite wrong about people going somewhere else that's free. There is no place else that even comes close to what Nexus offers because the various modding communities for years have basically allowed a monopoly state to form in the first place.

Which at this point is probably going to be fine by any of us who give 2 f*#@s about the communities we're involved with, and if you really must know, DPs are a pretty darn big incentive for those of us who could actually use the money to remain here even if certain things the site does annoy us to no end.

Actually to me I have no problem with countdown before download the only issue I have here is I can't download all the time like before .. sometimes when I choose the slow download nothing happen .. other times it work without a problem .. so I don't know when I can download and when I can't .. is there a specific time for downloading the files or what?..

Edited by GamerSince1992

ive made a post about this. but to me premium is only worth the lifetime membership. the rest just isn't worth it if you compare it to the others. so my suggestion is to go away from timed packages, and instead have the perks divided into indiviual buys or packages (all of the perks being what is now lifetime). This would allow people to pay for say just ad-free. unlimited data. ect.

- this isn't to include those who just want to pay to support, this is for the "consumer" i guess the word would be

Edited by Mixter213

ive made a post about this. but to me premium is only worth the lifetime membership. the rest just isn't worth it if you compare it to the others. so my suggestion is to go away from timed packages, and instead have the perks divided into indiviual buys or packages (all of the perks being what is now lifetime). This would allow people to pay for say just ad-free. unlimited data. ect.

- this isn't to include those who just want to pay to support, this is for the "consumer" i guess the word would be

Ok, so I'm not trying to argue with you, or take a bite outta your tail, or anything like that.

In truth, from a consumer standpoint, I see where you're coming from.

However, for the nexus to continue being here for us, we have to look at the business aspect of it too. Which is, that while when somebody pays for the lifetime membership.... That does help pay the bills for that particular week, but in the long run, it doesn't help out any further than that.

The monthly plan, on the other hand, does help to have some income coming in on a monthly basis. (And no sarcasm intended with this) And we all know that we don't pay the light bill, or the employees only once a year.

Again, I'm NOT trying to argue with you, or be a butthead to ya, Mixter. I really do see both points of view, and do understand where you're coming from.

Ok, so I'm not trying to argue with you, or take a bite outta your tail, or anything like that.

However, for the nexus to continue being here for us, we have to look at the business aspect of it too. Which is, that while when somebody pays for the lifetime membership.... That does help pay the bills for that particular week, but in the long run, it doesn't help out any further than that.

The monthly plan, on the other hand, does help to have some income coming in on a monthly basis. (And no sarcasm intended with this) And we all know that we don't pay the light bill, or the employees only once a year.

Again, I'm NOT trying to argue with you, or be a butthead to ya, Mixter. I really do see both points of view, and do understand where you're coming from.

the problem is only a very small % of people are actually premium / supported. think i saw something like under 5%. So this is just my suggestion on how to get more people to want / feel satisfied with a purchase. other than just to support.

the problem is only a very small % of people are actually premium / supported. think i saw something like under 5%. So this is just my suggestion on how to get more people to want / feel satisfied with a purchase. other than just to support.

That is definitely something worth considering.

There's a hitch that I can think of tho. US, the monthly premium fee is like.... $2.99 I think. Want to try to break that down into smaller packages, like say.... opening the bandwidth for a dollar. I haven't seen a locational breakdown for members, but I'm just gonna give a figure for those of us in the US.

Say that 40% of us are in the US. Robin's bank, is in the UK. So, on top of the credit card transaction fee, there's also an international transaction fee (which I don't know how much their bank charges on that.) On top of that, if there's a 3rd party transaction fee from somebody like paypal for example. (paypal totally does not make it worth it, at all, to do an international payment!!!)

Now lets also factor in how many other members are not in the UK.

So it comes down to.... how low can they price the smaller packages, where it still doesn't amount up to the $2.99 monthly fee, but still not actually cost more to offer them, than they make, due to the transaction fees?

I like the idea. I think that it has merit, and should be considered. I do. But, considering the low rate of subscribers, is it one that is cost effective? And how low can the prices be set, before it isn't cost effective?

Edited by StormWolf01