BLOG PIECE: Nexus moderation system overhaul, etiquette and ethos

Dark0ne

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think allowing a mod author to provide a reason why they're hiding a comment for the moderator to understand might help in this. For example, it might not be obvious from the content of the hidden post that the same question has been asked 100 other times in the same thread, and the user was just being lazy and not reading. Similarly, times when you've already told the user the answer and they're being difficult, repeatedly asking the same questions. And so on. I'll see if I can wrench that in to the system.

That makes me feel about 300% better. Thanks, Dark0ne.

Transparency is an excellent policy. Having things be opaque, or putting protections for the persons involved into place really only allows for the authorities to find ways to abuse the system, from my personal experience. It encourages capriciousness and pettiness, and is only really necessary where people's lives are potentially on the line. The fact that you guys have implemented a policy of transparency merely helps to reinforce the notion that you all approach the issues you are presented with in a judicious manner.

I think allowing a mod author to provide a reason why they're hiding a comment for the moderator to understand might help in this. For example, it might not be obvious from the content of the hidden post that the same question has been asked 100 other times in the same thread, and the user was just being lazy and not reading. Similarly, times when you've already told the user the answer and they're being difficult, repeatedly asking the same questions. And so on. I'll see if I can wrench that in to the system.

Thanks, that sounds like a good way to go about it.

I am really glad you finally enabled some sort of IP logging, imho the current imageshare section is plagued by people with multiple accounts that likely keep endorsing their very own stuff. :\

@james:

Eh, I honestly just click "I agree" and register outright. I mean, mostly site rules are covered by common sense: "Don't troll", "Don't bad mouth", "Be nice" and "Don't be a dick"

So far, I haven't really gotten into serious problems.

EDIT:

Btw, I suggest that the ToC and all that legal stuff is presented as Layman-friendly, with a link to "Lawyer version" available on top.

Seriously, those are top-lawyer stuff. Yes, it's a given that you'd want to make sure that everyone knows their right and limits, but it's better to, say, bypass all the stuff about copyrights and simply say, like "Please don't upload stuff that includes anything from copyrighted sources unless the author allows you to"

Or bypass the "using this site is a privilege, not a right yadda yadda" and say "Be nice and follow our rules" instead

Edited by Raestloz

Did I read correctly? Private messages will now get people banned for having private conversations using a public site? That's interesting.

How does this work? Are private messages no longer private, or does it take a person involved in a private conversation simply to get a moderater's attention about inappropriate private messages on a public site? I don't get it 100%. :)

Edited by malkion

I think we need a warning system for dangerous mods. Anyone remember Sounds of Skyrim? No one expected that it could harm save files. It was a wildly popular mod. If a system was in place to post warnings on the front page it could have helped reduce how many people's games were wrecked, and with the help of moderators an official course of action could have been laid out preventing unintended damage from poor uninstalls.