Institute Spies

StormWolf01

Theres also evidence that the Institute has actual Cameras around the wasteland in the positions of the Crows

Where have you seen cameras??

He's talking about the monitors in the Institute. If you look at them they show images of the surface from sources that coincide with known crow perching areas, implying that the crows are surveillance systems.

• 2 weeks later...

Institute I don't think would be stupid enough to place cameras topside - as that implies you need a transmission signal to get that data to them - and that is traceable.

Teleportation? Unless you see it happening in real time - you'd never be the wiser.

Institute I don't think would be stupid enough to place cameras topside - as that implies you need a transmission signal to get that data to them - and that is traceable.

Teleportation? Unless you see it happening in real time - you'd never be the wiser.

You could trace where the signal was coming FROM, but, so long as the institute is receive only, couldn't find 'em that way.

You could trace where the signal was coming FROM, but, so long as the institute is receive only, couldn't find 'em that way.

Also the Institute already is transmitting a signal in some way, the Classical Radio station they use for the teleport system.

the Classical Radio station they use for the teleport system.

I thought that was coming from a sweet old lady living north of the DC wasteland. I hope she was not a synth.

Do you think the Brahmin Synths could be modified to produce Wagyu beef? If so, wouldn't it be advantageous to let them hang around the watering trough, even if they are transmitting?

Institute I don't think would be stupid enough to place cameras topside - as that implies you need a transmission signal to get that data to them  - and that is traceable.

It's not a question whether they have cameras. They clearly do, as seen on the surveillance screens. It's really just the question if it's the crows.

You could argue that the classical radio signal would be traceable. Since the BoS only arrived recently nobody had the technology to trace them. Or live to tell the tale.

Institute I don't think would be stupid enough to place cameras topside - as that implies you need a transmission signal to get that data to them  - and that is traceable.

It's not a question whether they have cameras. They clearly do, as seen on the surveillance screens. It's really just the question if it's the crows.

You could argue that the classical radio signal would be traceable. Since the BoS only arrived recently nobody had the technology to trace them. Or live to tell the tale.

True. You could find the transmitter tower, I suppose, just with your pipboy...... But, as the institute doesn't have a physical entrance........ Still not going to find your way inside. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Agatha's Song is another station altogether, part of the Old World Radio set. Classical Radio is the Institute playing their archived classical recordings as a carrier signal for their teleporter system's transmission. The classical cove works as the latter transmissions are "at a high frequency, only obtainable by use of high technology" I believe is how Danse described the troubling signalsScribe Haylen had isolated while the Institute was planting all those Gen 1 synths at Arc-Jet.

While I'm on the subject of quests involving the Institute, I do feel one should read the Alternate Ending document for the Thuggyverse mods as it helps explain how some are good and others... less so. Roger Warwick "the second" Is actually an improvement on the original but (partly as loyalty test, partly as a component of the Institute's official stance of malevolence toward the rest of the Commonwealth) once the improved crops are proven to be superior you're ordered to kill him.

(Not the only example of this; Sammy's Synth in Goodneighbor whose remains you find the third time you're in the common part of the joint was detected and shot because the dude gave up gambling, drinking, and infidelity too quickly. This sort of behavior change is apparently common in synth doubles as Hancock warns about it as an indication of synth infiltration the second time you are in the common part of Goodneighbor)

The continued creation and dumping of Super Mutants until Brian Vergil made his move is more proof that there is a real faction in the Institute wishing to keep the Commonwealth a teetering wreck to better justify "Mankind, Redefined" and the conviction that the Commonwealth will completely fall, followed by the Institute inheriting the rubble to rebuild from.

To those still confused by the cameras part, the crows are the cameras, as they are synths. Tres Electric Sheep. Some mods have even gone so far as to make them salvageable if killed.

• 3 weeks later...

I also don't understand what the point in sabotaging surface dwellers is. Sure, spy on them. Observe. No harm. But why screw with the food and water? Why kill people? What was so special about Art that they felt the need to kill him and replace him?

And after creating the Super Mutants, why just release them to terrorize the surface? Why not terminate them? They're so happy to kill regular old humans, but not the monsters that they created? Doesn't make sense.

I actually wonder if all synths under the Institute's thumb are fully aware that they are synths. Obviously Danse has no idea until it's revealed by the BOS. And the Railroad blatantly wipes memories and replaces them with entirely new personalities. But does every other synth know that they're a synth? Say Art for example - would he have forgotten that he's a synth after replacing the real Art? How did Danse forget? Did he run into the Railroad at some point prior to coming to the Commonwealth? And in Far Harbor, Chase (the courser) says that it's easier to avoid being discovered by the Institute if you have your memory wiped. She does not elaborate on that. How exactly does forgetting that you're a synth make it harder for the Institute to track you? Does it mess with the Synth Component somehow? Do they use the Synth Component for tracking? If so, then Glory should definitely have had her memory wiped.

As for Mayor McDonough, he definitely is aware he's a synth the entire time. There's even a bit of foreshadowing at some point. He gets into an argument with Piper or something, and shouts at her. And it's very subtle, but you can hear a mechanical distortion in his voice as he does. This is before the In Sheep's Clothing quest. McDonough wants to be made into a Courser, but the terminal entries kidna make fun of him saying it'll never happen because he's so out of shape.

I personally like the theory of Mannequins being synths. In one location in the game, there is a Synth hiding among mannequins. And it won't reveal itself unless you get nice and close to it. There's an awful lot of mannequins in fo4. There's also one in Kellogg's house for some reason. I really wish they'd done something more with the Mannequins lol. There's a pretty good Mannequin cult mod, tho!

I think the Institute replaces people because they're afraid of whats on the surface. They're worried how much people will find out about the Institute and their Synths, so they replace people to have eyes and ears everywhere. It also allows them to find Railroad operatives and supporters easier as well, as they could be anywhere.