⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Vision Of The Future - "Just sit still" crash

CrashMasterJMM

And now with the advent of the Fallrim tools, save games can be cleaned up and or fixed.

If you're one of those people who does this on a regular basis, then you have the answer for what caused your problem.

NEVER use unsafe tools on your save. NEVER. The results are ALWAYS going to be fatal at some point. Using these kinds of tools is the one thing that's worse for your game than using console commands.

c

And now with the advent of the Fallrim tools, save games can be cleaned up and or fixed.

If you're one of those people who does this on a regular basis, then you have the answer for what caused your problem.

NEVER use unsafe tools on your save. NEVER. The results are ALWAYS going to be fatal at some point. Using these kinds of tools is the one thing that's worse for your game than using console commands.

Is using Console Commands bad somehow? I assume doing crazy things will hurt your save but are you talking about any usage of CC?

• 1 month later...

Ok, figured it out! The unofficial fallout 4 patch was causing it. Disabled the mod and it worked just fine.

Same for me. Disabling UFO4 Patch allowed me to proceed past "Just sit still" and complete the quest. I immediately re-enabled the patch afterward and all was well.

Thank you, julfunky. I ran into this problem, myself.

I am curious as to the real cause, and not just the UFO4 Patch having something to do with it.

Though, I neither have the technical knowledge nor the patience to try figuring it out, myself. Just glad a sufficient workaround exists

• 2 months later...

Except we don't take kindly to being randomly blamed for issues that aren't caused by our work. Especially from people with a history of scattershot blaming everyone else before deciding we're to blame for the world's problems.

Well, all I can say is I had this crash bug, disabled the unofficial patch, solved the problem, then re-enabled the patch. So....it does seem in fact that the patch is causing an issue.

Except we don't take kindly to being randomly blamed for issues that aren't caused by our work. Especially from people with a history of scattershot blaming everyone else before deciding we're to blame for the world's problems.

Well, all I can say is I had this crash bug, disabled the unofficial patch, solved the problem, then re-enabled the patch. So....it does seem in fact that the patch is causing an issue.

Did the crashing come back with the patch re-enabled?

You cannot remove mods on an existing save without causing irreversible save corruption. Doing so also leaves behind orphaned scripts. The save will still attempt to reference said scripts and when it can't you get major issues like CTDs. This information comes from the Bethesda employee who created Papyrus, the scripting language used in Fallout 4.

Depends on which scripts, if any, are active. It is pretty safe to remove things like weapons, clothing and textures. Dangerous to remove active quests and scripted NPCs. Never, never remove any settlement with a workshop, it screws up the master list and may cause other workshops to be unrecognized. Stray scripts can be removed with the Fallrim Tools.

I'd like to know if everyone who is blaming the UFO4Patch has uninstalled the Patch previously in their playthroughs. Prior to this Just Sit Still situation.

Or, was this everyone's first time disabling the Patch in the current playthroughs?

If you did uninstall the UFO4Patch prior to fixing this Just Sit Still CTD issue on the affected playthrough, then it probably is the reason for the CTD. You definitely shouldn't be disabling and re-enabling the UFO4Patch all willy-nilly in the middle of a playthrough.

I'd also like to know how many mods everyone experiencing this CTD has installed.

The folks in charge of the UFO4Patch are extremely prickly, but the UFO4Patch has been giving ALOT of people problems lately. More problems than solutions.

My favorite fo4 streamer (WeirdistBuilds) has had to uninstall the mod on the last two challenges he's been doing. His games are almost entirely modless, he likes to complete vanilla challenges. (last two challenges have been simple SPECIAL challenges - beat the game with only Luck perks or only Intelligence perks) He's always had the Patch installed though, because of course he wants the game to be as bug-free as possible. The mods he does use are incredibly minor. Stuff like colorful explosions - or the way ghouls sound. He's very experienced with fo4 as it's the game he plays the most, yet still he ran into gamebreaking bugs caused entirely by the Patch. I was surprised to find out that the Patch was giving him problems, knowing how few mods he plays with. I had thought the Patch was only breaking games with hundreds of mods installed.

I'm not a coder at all. I don't know the technical stuff. All i'm looking at is patterns. There's so many broken games with the UFO4Patch installed these days. And removing the UFO4Patch seems to be the solution in so many of those cases. I'm wondering if maybe bethesda changed something under the hood which is messing the Patch up? Something small that just hasn't been noticed?

• 4 weeks later...

Ran into this issue myself, so I went on to see what everyone else said would fix it and attempted to temp disable the unofficial patch.
After disabling it and running the game boom, just stay still he said as nope, that was not the problem.
So I looked around some more checked reddit saw some people talking about disabling mechanist lair overhaul.
So I tried that, disabled it, and loaded the game back up. "Just sit still." I thought to myself as I waited for it to load up.
And as fortune found, what do I see. yep, it was "mechanist lair overhaul" for me. By the way I am running over 292 plugins. (231 Mods)
I hope that this information is beneficial to someone.