Coronavirus - Is there a silver lining?

MrJoseCuervo

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little silver, for the lining! :wink: :wink: I think a lot of people in businesses who used to stay in their offices putting a little ball around have no clue. Business owners have no one to do the work for them who actually isn't family I believe. So the putter is probably now-a-days busy learning how to send mail and while they are down in the dungeon they're learning how to get the mail from the mailing room too. I could almost imagine their conversation with one of their brothers or sisters, and the children, aunt or uncle, cousins; only I got a first hand on sight look at the situation when I visited the people at a ground delivery service drop off and pick up station.

Have you ever stood where you could see people in a large glass windows reflection?

Two people were standing silently making hand signals while the person I was talking to tried to save their hides as she tried her best. You know, do what someone else was trained for, and to do what the job requires when a suspicious package they delivered shows up back at their office. I know the job from my time as a Marine in the Marine Corps.

I spotted two people in the reflection. I watched the people in the glass reflecting them to me as they struggled to avoid further embarrassment. The label said the package weighed 14.00 lbs. It weighed less then a 1 lbs. I mentioned that and that is was so light it constituted legal search and seizure. I said it was a suspicious and maybe illegal delivery. The two in the mirror image were churning like a boiling pot. Hand signaling the 30 something female to stop talking and get me out of there. I pressed her to open it.

I waded into the depths of proper protocol, for her or her higher ups to open it and see if it was illegal contraband. The elder, and the other stayed out of my view. The eyelids on one of them got so wide I almost burst out laughing.

Everything about the shared words with the younger then me woman and those two in the reflection suggested ignorance. The kind of ignorance the bosses son has about what goes on outside his little space with the indoor putting green. They were so unsettled I was sure they were going to go batty. All I could do to keep from laughing out loud was make the one person more aware of details on the package label, the company name, and that it was addressed to my property with a total strangers name on it.

I had so much fun torturing their little family. I saw a man with a tray of cups full of fresh drinks on the in house security monitor. I knew they were going be having a long night. I turned before I started to crack a smile. :devil: I grabbed the handle on the door to shove it a little. :wink: All the while I was looking out of the corner of my left eye back toward the couple I could see mirrored. A move of an inch on my part and he would have been juggling. :whistling: I thought a little juggling would be a fine way to end the circus act :woot: they were putting on. :laugh: I wondered how many of the 16 ounce cups of drinks he would get on himself. The gal I had been talking to apparently saw the young man at the door outside about to enter. She has one good skill! But not such as needed to pretend to be the clerk. Good timing! Or the junior would have been soaked to the skin.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

And for the record, "the cost of labor" can be considered a euphemism for "the cost of a human life".

No it can't. This is utter BS.

In industrialized nations, populations are declining and in several cases have dropped below the mathematical "replacement level", raising the value of each individual human life.

So the value of a human life changes based on the fluctuations of population levels....? This is one of the most asinine and abhorrent things I've read on this forum. Your entire post reads like an adolescent trying to explain macroeconomics after skim-reading a text book.

Edited by gnarly1

And for the record, "the cost of labor" can be considered a euphemism for "the cost of a human life".

No it can't. This is utter BS.

In industrialized nations, populations are declining and in several cases have dropped below the mathematical "replacement level", raising the value of each individual human life.

So the value of a human life changes based on the fluctuations of population levels....? This is one of the most asinine and abhorrent things I've read on this forum. Your entire post reads like an adolescent trying to explain Macroeconomics after skim-reading a text book.

Glossing over the personal insults and deliberately degrading commentary and the fact that you took my comments out of context and used them as a cudgel, I will address your basic misunderstanding.

The value of an employee raises as the number of potential employees drops. The laws of supply and demand apply to pretty every element in the business process model, including labor. And given the declining population in some nations, the value of an individual human being increases as the quantity drops. Thus, in a discussion of the cost of industrialization and the scarcity of the components necessary for manufacturing and the conduct of business, the value of an individual human life is an elementary component of the equation.

Which is one reason why manufacturing processes are moving to nations with growing populations. In such countries, the number of people necessary to operate the machines of industry are abundant, and the scarcity of opportunity for work in these locales drives people to work for less and less reward. And should an employee depart a company for any reason, they are easily replaced from a growing pool of people who are viewed as interchangeable cogs. Further, in nations with growing populations, the value of individuals decline. Yes, friends and family will miss a departed loved one, but the overall population doesn't even care. It's one less mouth to feed. So yes, there is a direct correlation between the cost of labor, and the cost of a human life.

Edited by Guest

Glossing over the personal insults and deliberately degrading commentary

This is your response to me in another thread:

Or ... let's assume that you incapable of grasping even the simplest of concepts and agree to never speak again. I possess too few crayons and insufficient butcher paper to endeavor to educate you on an elementary concept, a concept which you seem to willfully fail to grasp.

So whinging about 'personal insults and deliberately degrading commentary' when you engage in the exact same thing, and in the absence of any provocation, makes you look like a colossal hypocrite. What's even more hypocritical though is expecting others to respect your mod permissions while simultaneously acting in a way which clearly breaches the terms and conditions of the website you're posting on, and you agreed to when you signed up.

But to return to the rest of your response and your assertion that I took your comments out of context.

You're confusing the concept of the 'cost of labor' with the value of a human life, the latter of which is to do with calculating the marginal cost of death prevention - in the context you framed.

You are making elementary mistakes of terminology and definitions in a domain about which you think you know a lot, but clearly you don't, given how easily you've mixed concepts up.

I've got some spare crayons and butcher paper if you need me to draw a picture for you in case you fail to grasp those concepts....

Edited by gnarly1

Glossing over the personal insults and deliberately degrading commentary

This is your response to me in another thread:

Or ... let's assume that you incapable of grasping even the simplest of concepts and agree to never speak again. I possess too few crayons and insufficient butcher paper to endeavor to educate you on an elementary concept, a concept which you seem to willfully fail to grasp.

So whinging about 'personal insults and deliberately degrading commentary' when you engage in the exact same thing, and in the absence of any provocation, makes you look like a colossal hypocrite. What's even more hypocritical though is expecting others to respect your mod permissions while simultaneously acting in a way which clearly breaches the terms and conditions of the website you're posting on, and you agreed to when you signed up.

But to return to the rest of your response and your assertion that I took your comments out of context.

You're confusing the concept of the 'cost of labor' with the value of a human life, the latter of which is to do with calculating the marginal cost of death prevention - in the context you framed.

You are making elementary mistakes of terminology and definitions in a domain about which you think you know a lot, but clearly you don't, given how easily you've mixed concepts up.

I've got some spare crayons and butcher paper if you need me to draw a picture for you in case you fail to grasp those concepts....

The only implication of my comment is that you were deliberately and willfully ignoring truths and facts and were unwilling to learn anything.

Furthermore, you have deliberately sought out a second opportunity to continue a discussion which needs not be continued here, as it is horribly off topic and completely unrelated to the discussion at hand.

Now, read my signature, and realize why i am now blocking you and reporting you for harassment.

The only implication of my comment is that you were deliberately and willfully ignoring truths and facts and were unwilling to learn anything.

No, that's just what you decided to believe given I pointed out some pertinent aspects of your post and I went to some effort to assure you that you could set your permissions how you wanted - a gesture of goodwill that you entirely ignored because rather than engage on those points, you decided to attack me personally.

You know about The Golden Rule, right?

Furthermore, you have deliberately sought out a second opportunity to continue a discussion which needs not be continued here, as it is horribly off topic and completely unrelated to the discussion at hand.

This is false. I was reading through this thread and saw your comments which I thought were wrong and fairly abhorrent, as I pointed out. In order to demonstrate the hypocrisy of your subsequent reaction I had to reference your other post and wanted to quote you accurately.

Given your failure to respond to me exposing your flawed explanation of cost of labor/value of life, I can only assume that you concede the point.

Your signature is fairly ironic considering that you've just demonstrated the Dunning-Kruger Effect quite aptly via your inept attempt at explaining macroeconomics.

Edited by gnarly1

With well over 50 million vaccinations administered in Europe (https://www.politico.eu/article/coronavirus-vaccination-europe-by-the-numbers/), these numbers are statistically insignificant. Further, this number of deaths and medical events are within the statistical norm for any period. So although these conditions exist, there is no causal link between the vaccine and these deaths and medical events.

Hysteria and misleading propaganda doesn't help.