Attempting to Launch Skyrim SE to 2nd Extended Screen via Vortex

Paliphany
Go to solution Solved by Zanderat,

First a short explanation of why I need to do this:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/38017?tab=posts

BTW the $250 Dell WD19TB Thunderbolt dock/splitter that I mentioned in the above post didn't work at all.

I was utilizing an autohotkey script to launch the app and all was well.

Needless to say I had not been using Vortex as designed (all hardlink) and my 450+ mod build became thoroughly trashed in the move to the new system) I say thoroughly because I desperately disabled all of them one by one)

I vowed to start from scratch with a clean install of SE and Vortex (Not on C:\) and proceeded to build it back and be a good Vortex user, even installing SKSE and my ENB via Vortex.

I was kicking the game off from Vortex for quick tests and didn't notice until mod 133 of the rebuild that my launch script no longer worked.

No problem. I thought to myself, I'll just compile the script to an exe, zip it up, Install 'As Is' (just like my ENB), make a tool in Vortex, make it main, and I should be good.... Nope.

Then I saw the 'Add a new custom game in Vortex' option and started down that path. The doc says in advanced mode I should be able to see my custom game after setting up my initial index.js and info.json in %appdata%/Roaming/Vortex/plugins ... Nope

Dug through the ui and docs trying to enable 'Advanced mode' and couldn't find anything about it.

I'm really hoping someone is already shaking their head going 'Nope that won't engage the Vortex/db/links as I've put in too many long hours to my partners frustration and I'm starting to be concerned the majority my $8k investment was wasted. (Not to mention my first 2 week vacation in 20 years).

If I can't mod SE and play it in DTS X surround at 144mhz on my 34" Curved display I wasted a whole lot of it. It's just a game without modding. It's the modding community/resources that convinced me it would be worth the investment. Without it, it's just another game and I've been playing computer games since the 90's. With the modding it's my Retirement plan.

Anyway. The specifics:

Vortex 1.2.19

Skyrim Special Edition

SKSE ProductVersionStr = 1.5.97.0

Number of mods irrelevant to problem

System Model GS75 Stealth 9SG
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Core i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
DisplayAdapter Type GeForce RTX 2080 with Max-Q Design, NVIDIA compatible
OS
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
Secondary Monitor:
(It has to pass through the sound system which makes it impossible to set up as an independent display at 144hz - however as an extended display it still achieves 144FPS)
MSI Optix MPG341CQR

First a short explanation of why I need to do this:

my 450+ mod build became thoroughly trashed in the move to the new system) I say thoroughly because I desperately disabled all of them one by one)

If you had just used PURGE, you could've moved everything over to the new system, made sure the folders matched, and just Redeployed the mods, instead of disabling them one by one.

You also could've used CTRL+A to select all the Mods at once and picked "Disable", but in future, the best way to move an installation is to PURGE, (Purge severs all the Hardlinks from the Mod Staging Folder to the Data Folder) ,then move your Mod Staging Folder, Download Folder, appdata\roaming\Vortex folder to the new system, to the same drives and paths they were located on, and hit DEPLOY, and Vortex restores all the hardlinks from the Mod Staging Folder to the Data folder.

SETTINGS-------->INTERFACE--------->Enable Advanced Mode - Turn ON

What is your "Launch Script"?

As I understand it for some of the civil war scenes (especially as I'm modding it) it's nice to go beyond 60.

However!!! Happy to report I created a hack/fix!!!

I Hijacked the SKSE launcher in the dashboard

I renamed the skse64_loader.exe to skse64_loader-144.exe

Created a hardlink from my script to skse64_loader.exe

Reset the target in my script fo point to skse64_loader-144.exe

Compiled and deployed it in the game directory

I then made the skse tool my primary and I can launch from Vortex into the secondary extended display while still working on other things in my primary window.