windows 10 or alienware?

DrifterKane91

my view is that Alienware is just overpriced but good stuff. At least from what I see and hear of them. I just built my own computer a few years back and am currently working on a new one to replace it.

Totally this. You're basically paying extra for the brand name.

Like others have said, running older games is more of a software problem, really. Look, I can't even get to work "Fallout 3" under Win10, and if I'm correct the game would even require "4 GB RAM" patch at some point for rigs with bigger amounts of memory.

This is for New Vegas but it works for Fallout 3 https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/53635

I use this along with the 4GB patch and FO3 is rock solid on Windows 10, it would be worth trying.

• 4 weeks later...

how about windows 7? is there a way i can like build one?...that would solve like all problems for me...lol...and the "DOSbox?"

You're going to have a harder and harder time getting old versions of windows to work on newer motherboards.

I suppose there's intentional incompatibility brought about by CPU makers and OS companies.

how about windows 7? is there a way i can like build one?...that would solve like all problems for me...lol...and the "DOSbox?"

You're going to have a harder and harder time getting old versions of windows to work on newer motherboards.

I suppose there's intentional incompatibility brought about by CPU makers and OS companies.

would these cpu makers and os companies be hard to come by?...

would these cpu makers and os companies be hard to come by?...

You can find older MOBOs on Amazon, but they're usually priced around $350 - $900 because someone out there is taking advantage of people insisting on using old stuff, considering you can buy a modern board for a modern OS and CPU for around $50

Yeah, I think starting with the 7th gen Intel processors, and same generation AMD for that matter, Win 7 was no longer an option..... Nobody writes drivers for them... I seem to remember seeing a couple 'independent' groups (private individuals) working on it, but, I think that would just be asking for trouble.

Win 10 really isn't all that bad. Turn off as much of the telemetry stuff as you can, and it actually runs pretty good. (Yeah, I wasn't thrilled with win 10 either.... but, wanted newer hardware than was available for 7.) Compatibility mode works pretty good, except for the TRULY old software, that wanted to run on DOS-based machines.

Windows 7 isn't getting any more updates so it won't be secure and on top of that you'll have to use older hardware, I play a lot of old games and I don't have any issues with Windows 10.