Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

Say what you like, at least it's proactive thinking, and I'm so glad it's not going to penalize for skin ads because I despise the bloody things >.<.

While the abstaining from endorsing idea seems a little arbitrary as I generally don't endorse if I don't want to endorse I suppose it makes sense in the context of offering an alternative to endorsement, and if I type the word "endorse" one more time I may go completely bat-sh1t insane.

Either way I might consider premium or at least supporter, I use the site a lot and have hosted mods here and would have never gotten the mileage out of Beth games that I have if it didn't exist.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not sure if this has been mentioned, but perhaps add a reminder notification that pops after a certain amount of time goes by and some one has not endorsed a mod? A quick, hey what did you think aboyt this mod? then give the endorse or dont endorse option you proposed.

Additionally, Dark0ne, I would endorse a LOT more if there wasn't a timer on endorsing, or at least a smaller one.

I know why the feature exists, to stop people from exploiting the system. But come on. I've been a user for 4 years, and am currently a Premium user. If that doesn't give me some credit to allow me to endorse mods quicker, I feel cheaped out by these bribing attempts to non premiums.

I mean, hell, the moment I tend to endorse mods is when I go update them. I click the version number in NMM, download the update, only to find out that the timer has been reset. Yes, in a way it's my fault for not figuring out to endorse first. But can't your system remember that I downloaded it once before so I don't get the timer again?

Alright Dark0ne, you've convinced me. I totally forgot that this site does run almost entirely on ad revenue. I'll be allowing every kind of ad you can throw at me if it keeps this place afloat, and I'll make a Supporter donation as well. That Wikipedia-esque "If everyone who used this site..." is pretty powerful, and I encourage everyone else to help make that a possibility.

Comments are TL;DR for me.

But overall, this seems reasonable. I'm willing to exclude the domain on my adblocker.

However, the very first ad that came up was a FLASH-BASED ad. I don't know yet if all of your ads are flash-based, but those will definitely be blocked no matter what - Flash ads are evil. They tend to make noise when unwanted, and worse, they're an often open vector for attacks through flash vulnerabilities. I will not whitelist the site in my plugin blocker AND in the Ad Blocker. That's just asking to get drive-by trojans/virii.

So if you ditch the Flash-based advertisements, great.

Edit: I just noticed after posting this that I am a supporter.... had to look around and it turns out I'd had a one-month premium membership to download a lot of Fallout 3 mods back when I was playing that. That conferred lifetime supporter status!

The rest sounds good also.

Edited by lotherius

I've seen it mentioned here by a few, the idea of $1.00 per year to maintain supporter status is hardly a bank breaker for most and will better provide a steady income source to handle the site's needs. $1.00 as a one time fee is most charitable, but this isn't a charity. Bills need to be paid, equipment upgraded and employees paid. I'd be curious, how does your current add revenue work out per user? $0.50..? $0.75...? And, most importantly, that's not a one time receipt, it's annually, like your bills. Just something for you to ponder....

So this Lifetime Premium Member would like to know please;-

Since I do use Adblocker (I have a very good reason for this after a bad experience elsewhere)and your code will probably pick this up, will I get throttled despite being a Premium Member? Yay I know I do not get ads anyway, but the Adblocker would still get picked up by your code.

Do Premium Members who don't endorse everything still get throttled?