Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

I love your candor and maturity in explaining all this. I think I have already got more than enough value from your site to justify the lifetime membership cost so I just got one. I've paid more for a mod I can play in 1 day for crying out loud.

Thanks for the wonderful service

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I meant it linked to my Nexus Account... as in it instantly made me a premium member...Sorry for saying it akward... It was a one time charge, and I have nothing to do with Pay Pal still... it won't link to your bank accounts or anything like that if you do it as a guest, it just charges you like any other normal debit charge and you are done. So you are fine...@Nofsdad... I thought I detected some cranky old man in your responses, but then again you prolly detected snotty know it all in mine... but give when others need it, and God will provide the rest when you do... Hopefully... Good luck to ya SIr and God Bless.

That sounds good to me, trying it out now, as a GUEST.

EDIT: Yay, success as a GUEST paying via Pay Pal, new Lifetime Member.

@zerothenumber: It's not about wether we can notice the adds or not (and you could argue that you not noticing the adds makes them bad adds, because one reason for adds is so you can notice them...), it's about privacy and security. You only need to take a look at the earlier news-post about the google-blocking to see that malware in adds is still a real threat. As long as this doesn't change I won't be disabling my addblocker, scriptblocker etc.

If you decide for yourself that you are willing to accept that risk okay, but many people decide they don't want to take their chances, even though they often are willing to support the sites they visit regularly.

About the endorsement system: What about people who re-download the same mod that had been endorsed? I'm aware that files get updated from time to time. Plus I do think it's a good incentive for the modders that upgrade their mods at regular intervals. It could be exploited but you've got the community to point out those insidious modders :p Ignore my rent if I actually missed some details...

Anyway, I don't really mind about the ads (unless it's a pop-up ad) and was kinda wondering why the Nexus doesn't have those kinds of things .. heh, which you explained on the previous news, also I usually endorse the mods I download (regardless if I use it half way) thus I welcome the new system.

Great news! :thumbsup:

I have a question regarding subscriptions:

Do they accumulate so that you'll get lifetime membership after donating the lifetime value by paying lets say 11.99 GBP each year?

Edited by tortured Tomato

About the endorsement system: What about people who re-download the same mod that had been endorsed? I'm aware that files get updated from time to time. Plus I do think it's a good incentive for the modders that upgrade their mods at regular intervals. It could be exploited but you've got the community to point out those insidious modders :P Ignore my rent if I actually missed some details...

Anyway, I don't really mind about the ads (unless it's a pop-up ad) and was kinda wondering why the Nexus doesn't have those kinds of things .. heh, which you explained on the previous news, also I usually endorse the mods I download (regardless if I use it half way) thus I welcome the new system.

You only get to endorse a mod one time...regardless of how many files/updates there are or how many times you download it. You do have the option of UN-endorsing the mod.

@Dark0ne

How about making it mandatory to endorse a file before the downloader can download the mod a third or fourth time (If he is logged in, of cause), lets say because of updates.

Or maybe because he considers the mod to be an essential one and so he installs it each time he reinstalls the game because he cleaned up the data folder or whatever.

Once he endorsed, he can download it as often he wants, watching pinups popping up all over the screen while loading or sth like this. ;D

Edit

He still could unendorse the file after the downloded... which could reset the process, so to speak.

Edited by tortured Tomato