Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting post that does a large way in explaining the difficulties and challenges in running and paying for the Nexus service.

I can see the logic in incentivising but not forcing users to turn off ad blocking software.

Finally, have you considered other ways of encouraging the non modding user (whom I presume make up a large majority of Nexus users) to endorse mods?

While it may be difficult to implement fairly (the Steam example being an excellent one) a running tab of user endorsements or having it count to something minor status related may be worth considering.

You are talking about two groups of people who deserve special attention, premium members and supporters. What about mod authors ? They are providing content for your site. That is part of your offer, and you are making money on those mods. I am the mod author, and I don't need special treatment, just it would be nice if you mentioned us. We, at least some of us, are contributing to your site.

Considering ads, just like there are different kinds off site users, there are also different kinds of ads. Some are particularly annoying, like those playing loud music. I am not using adblock at the moment, because I am not visiting any site with particularly annoying ads. That might change in the future. Also, I don't recommend using adblock with ads database option, who knows what it might be blocking, perhaps some content which is actually not advertising. One should pick his own add filter options.

the reason i block ads is because unblocking them would lead to me being tracked. you may have your own thoughts about privacy on the internet, but to me it is of paramount importance - the internet never forgets, and it's a ridiculously stupid risk to let yourself be spied upon. right now ghostery shows 4 trackers on your site. if that number ever reaches 0 i will seriously consider unblocking ads, provided they themselves are not of tracking variety. i am also quite concerned about how exactly you are going to determine if a user is running an ad blocker or not.

Love it Dark0ne. Btw why is your nickname Dark0ne, when you are so bright? Anyway. Can you offer paysafecard besides paypal? Hope all goes well with the new changes and good job so far. I much rather pay you directly, then letting all these ads in. *hugs his firefox*

*pets the noscript dog*

*tries to pet the ghost, but realises there is nothing there*

Edited by Nadimos

RE: premium members/supporters wanting to turn on ads

ARE YOU MAD?!

Although I have suspicions about the mental state of some of the premium members, I think most of us just want to help out. :P

Quite possibly the best explanation of site advertising and "break even" I have ever read. Your cost per mille section will actually help me explain this to the board of directors for one of the groups I provide web design to - may I use it, with credit (not on a site, simply in a presentation deck)?

Without concern for higher bandwidth - may we make our lifetime supporter contribution higher to help the site out?