⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

WIP - The Companion friendly Hobbit Home

Pellape

So many books... 16 x 7 = 112 books. I filled 6 bookshelves in Skyrim and couldn't move. I do not think it will become that bad here really but you never know. I will limit scripting in this room as much as possible and use mainly quest scripts so lest hope for the best.

51006263458_117452053e_o.jpg

It sure will look nice together with the Book Jackets

Edited by Pellape

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I did suspect, Book Jackets will cause some minor problems. Minor? Yes, as I need to check for it in the quest script, adjusting those books that is resized in it if that mod is loaded but fortunately there was not that many books that was resized, well so far at least, only 2 of 48.

It is tedious to place all books but I do not feel stressed really. Ater all the first 112 books are placed, I will hide them as what you see here is what you will see after completing all quests or added the books in any other possible way.

Book robots are common in all bigger libraries today so what ye think about me inventing a Dwemer book sorting machine? You feed the machine with all books you find and it sorts them and add those books that are missing in the library to the right spot and add the rest into a wast container, well not a self deleting container, but one that you can pick up books for sale. I could name that container -> Books for Sale.

51008411622_f8cfd326d5_o.jpg

By the way, each level of shelves do have their own angle but I guess that is unnecessary information as you are most likely able to see it. The top shelf is at 75 degrees, the 2nd at 65, the next at 55 and the bottom one at 45.

Edited by Pellape

just hazarding a guess but the different angles of the shelves with the straightest and most foward of them being at eye level reminds me abit of how grocery store shelves are sorted to make them more visually appealing

So true and that is what I really want as well, so we will be able to show off all nice book covers. I was so into the shelves that I completely forgot the door to the Hrota Cave, that will be added there somewhere at that wall :D Good I only do bits and pieces, slowly forward. So I will add all doors today to the rooms around this one, 5 doors. I do not know what I was thinking, but obviously not at all... ;)

What in Nirn where they thinking when they did build this place, I mean these doors we see here, they do make sense and there will be 7 of them all together, like a bloody hub...
51011699921_01be12933c_o.jpg

But this door? Why was it added at all? Who would have been so nuts that they built a door...
51010992103_333598a88b_o.jpg

...leading to this place?
51011702801_8541cf90c3_o.jpg

It does not make any sense at all, but they did.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

As these are real doors, not just activators, it will be interesting to see who actually will gonna use it and I will explain what I mean with this...

In Morrowind, we did made portals everywhere, using stuff that acted like real doors, connecting the whole Isle to different hubs without any issues. So I started to do the same in Oblivion but did not expected them to become a bloody highway as all bloody NPC's travelers, Imperial troops and everyone started to use them. The roads went completely empty and the world became a bloody waste zone and all NPC went from town to town in an instant. You saw streams of them popping out from my portals, so I had to close them down. If I see any NPC using this door, I will most likely turn it into an activator. It all depends though but the shorter route is of course to not use this door as if they do, they have to pass 5 cells until they get out again but who knows? The ownership of 4 of those 5 cells are set to the Player Faction.

Edited by Pellape

Could you please be quiet!! This is a library after all!!
51012469476_97b5c1e18d_o.jpg

I went for a short stroll into the cave and met these 4 sweet ladies that I brought with me to the library and they sure made a mess. I think Archimedes said: Do not move my circles, and I should say the same about the books as well.
51011756333_6113748fa4_o.jpg

It could be worse... :wink:

So a Dwemer Book returning device? What should it look like? Like this chinese wonder?
Packaging-Printing-Box-Book-Weight-Sorti

Well I really gave this some thoughts as it is possible to make it look almost exactly like this one but in the other hand, glass... Objects inside glass behaves differently depending on your angle to it but if it wasn't so, it could have been cool with a box of brownish glass. Well I did end up with a more simple solution instead. I might exchange the cylinder copper textures with wood later maybe...
51015722072_d0e302f82e_o.jpg

This simple look also fits better in the TES world I guess.

It is a bit dark in the library. I did add some lights but the more we add, the more lag will it create. I plan to remove the candelabras and add Dwemer lights to every shelf section and also at the reading stations and add triggers to them all, well the triggers might cause some lag but if I code it smart, they shouldn't, but lets see. So when anyone trigger a trigger, the static Dwemer light will get disabled and then we enable a real light object instead and this way it is only necessary to use the 7 ceiling lights and you will be able to see everything clear that are next to you. I think this might turn out to look cool really, seeing the light turning on and off depending if or when someone is passing the triggers or not. :smile:

If this succeed as planned, I could do the same at other sections in this whole structure.

Edited by Pellape