Vortex won't start if there's a # in the install path

roundgrass
Go to solution Solved by Tannin42,

Just like the title says, Vortex will not start if any of its parent folders have a "#" in their name.

I fixed this issue myself by reinstalling it elsewhere obviously, just posting in case anyone happens to have the same niche issue and doesn't know why it won't start.

Just like the title says, Vortex will not start if any of its parent folders have a "#" in their name.

I fixed this issue myself by reinstalling it elsewhere obviously, just posting in case anyone happens to have the same niche issue and doesn't know why it won't start.

What do you have a # in your program files directory path?

• 3 weeks later...

I use it to push a directory to the top, e.g. my game install folder has "#Utilities" which is game-related software. I just changed it to an underscore.

• Solution

I'll have to investigate but there is a good chance that it's something we can't fix I'm afraid.

Vortex itself doesn't care too much what your application path looks like, I don't see how we could be causing this. If there is a problem here it's probably in the node.js/electron framework we use under the hood. If so, the best I can do is forward it.

For you that means: don't hold your breath, work around it by putting Vortex into a different directory. Sorry for the inconvenience.

EDIT: disregard, it is our mistake after all, fix will be in 1.4.x. I would still advice against using # in folder names though, the error we made is something others (including vortex extension developers) may also stumble over:

While # is a valid character in windows paths it has special meaning in urls. Thus any application that is designed around dealing with websites but also supports local files (like a webbrowser can open sites locally via file:///c:/foobar/index.html) would have to take extra-precautions to deal with # symbols in the url because file:///c:/#foobar/index.html would be invalid, even though c:\#foobar\index.html is not.

I use it to push a directory to the top, e.g. my game install folder has "#Utilities" which is game-related software. I just changed it to an underscore.

Why don't you PIN your often used folder to the QUICK ACCESS panel in the left hand side of any Windows Explorer Folder screen?

I pin all of the folders I access on a constant basis.

For example the COMMON folder in Quick Access, (in the screenshot) once I click on it, will bring me right into the Steam Common folder, where I can quickly pick which game folder I want, rather than having to slog through Steam\SteamApps\Common\ to get to the game folder.

Any of those pinned Quick Access items I have, bring me directly inside the folder that's pinned.

You could pin UTILITIES to the Quick Access area, and be able to access it without Navigating to it, it's essentially a built in shortcut to the Utilities Folder you made, but it shows up in every single file explorer window, so you can instantly go to it from wherever you're at.

quick-access-1.jpg