Resource Query, part 2

BlueSteelRanger

All dds files except icons have mip maps as I do think all modders knows about them really and it is nothing we need to think about. :) Or they will know as gimp loads the mip maps by default in layers, usually between 7-9 layers. So when you import and want to edit a dds, you uncheck the loading of mip maps and the exporter creates new ones when you are export them again, as you never edit them, just the top base texture. If a modder loads the mip maps and try to save that dds file, they will get problems with it. I do think everyone at some point have tried that when they started.

There are other things that are more important I guess as choosing which type of DDS to export as they do behave a bit different. But we can get back to that later if you start to edit them.

As striker did check it, I do not think I could get any other result. But I can try it anyway. You did mention a clipping issue?? It is important that if you rename the nif, which you shouldn't if you do not change the texture, is to also rename the egm file, that will make the crown to fit on different heads. If that egm works and it still clips, then there's a problem for sure.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I can see there are no EGM files Pekka (probably the reason they are slotted for tail slot ... the old "no The Conformulator required" method). That means they won't conform to different head sizes/shapes.

Blue ... do the gems show on the crowns when they are sitting on the ground or is that the "source point" for the purple error shapes? Tracing those errors back to the exact spot on the ring was what made it easy for me to know what to start looking for (first in NifSkope to see the exact file name that part of the NIF was looking for, and then in my case I was lucky as I had already downloaded another mod that had the same texture file I needed).

- Edit - Hmm ... just downloaded and had a look in NifSkope but nothing seems to be out of place to my untrained eye. The gems are all vanilla assets using vanilla textures as far as I can tell.

I did tried the jewels on 2 Khajiits and I got a vertices poiting in all directions, as I did add a robe to them and managed to crash ECS.

I am also newly awaken and did not think as I am stupid before I wake up, well more than usual at least. Robes uses loads of slots and are the least and most worse clothing to use for tests.

If you unpacked them and changed the path's, I need your file, not the resource as I than need to see what you did or not did. But as I did mention, you do only need to change the path if you exchange the texture and I will give a reason why. It is important you do not miss the egm file that are next to the nif as that is what I think you missed. I am not good at armor nor clothes but at least that is what I know about wearable stuff now :wink:

I include loads of resources in house mod and it is extremely big now and if I would changed all path's, would have cluttered up anyone's drive if they already have them. Well Maskar do that anyway as he puts all his stuff in MOO folders... :wink: well I do not, not if I do not exchange the texture as then it gets into something else but if my files already overwrite the exact same files, it wouldn't matter, well if no one wants to remove it as then they also remove those files as well but who would ever want to remove it? :wink:

Edited by Pellape

Are you using the Lighter Gold version of the textures and the ocrown.nif and ocrown_gnd.nif version? If so is the purple texture just located at the small part at the top of the arch that holds the diamond (the little claws that hold the diamond in place ... in NifSkope the NiTriStrips for Circle.001).

If the answer is yes and you only installed the textures from the Lighter Color Gold folder you are still missing ocrownmount.dds and ocrownmount_n.dds from the regular version Textures\Objects of Desire\Crown Jewels folder.

"Are you using the Lighter Gold version of the textures and the ocrown.nif and ocrown_gnd.nif version? If so is the purple texture just located at the small part at the top of the arch that holds the diamond (the little claws that hold the diamond in place ... in NifSkope the NiTriStrips for Circle.001).

If the answer is yes and you only installed the textures from the Lighter Color Gold folder you are still missing ocrownmount.dds and ocrownmount_n.dds from the regular version Textures\Objects of Desire\Crown Jewels folder."

I am not, no. I'm wondering if I should.

No I wasn't asking to suggest ... I looked at the three crowns that come with that download in NifSkope trying to find any possible "gotcha's" and that is the only one I've found.

If you tell me the exact NIF file names you are using I can look at that particular NIF ... no promises I'll see anything I haven't already looked at though.

The other thought that came to mind while I was poking around is ... are the spaces in the texture folder name preserved (so Textures\Objects of Desire\Crown Jewels not Textures\ObjectsofDesire\CrownJewels or any variation that omits one or more of the folder name spaces).?

Ahh, okay, sorry, heh. :) I just wondered in case I missed something.

I tend to eliminate ALL spaces in my folders to avoid save issues, so I changed them all to eliminate said spaces.

All meshes and textures have their default names. I didn't change a thing on them.

"crown.dds, crown_n.dds"

"crystalcrown.dds, crystalcrown_n.dds"

Etc.

Absolutely nothing was changed concerning the direct file names.

The problem with doing that is the mesh itself (the NIF files like ocrown_gnd.nif etc) all have the path to the texture they need incorporated as part of the info used to display the NIF in game. The NIFs are expecting the spaces to be in those folder names.

Two ways you can tackle the situation ... one is to change the folder names back so that the spaces are exactly as you find in the extracted download.

The other is to change the path to the textures for the mesh in NifSkope ... I'll use rubycrownh.nif as an example as it is the simplest. Expand the 0 NiNode Scene Root in the left hand pane and you'll see 1 NiTriStrips RubyFlawless02 and 11 NiTriStrips Circle as branches off the Scene Root. Expand 11 NiTriStrips Circle and you'll see 13 NiTexturingProperty and when you expand that you'll see 14 NiSourceTexture with the expected path to the texture for that part of the NIF shown beside the little purple flower icon. Double left click on the texture path that is currently shown and you'll be able to edit it to exactly match the folder path you have changed the DDS files to.

Note that the texture path must begin with the textures folder no higher (so no C:\Program Files\... or Oblivion\textures\... as then your users will have problems if their game folder structure is not exactly the same as yours ... the problem is called "absolute paths").

Ohhhh. Hmm. I think I will go with the simplest option, as you put it. I'm extremely new to this still, so I'm as raw-meat as you can get. I will give that a try and see how that works.

Oh, and if I may, once I get that issue fixed and the bit of lore added, I'll be ready to upload this thing. Might I add your name to the "thank you" list? I think it appropriate since you, Pellape and Dragon have seriously helped. You guys have been awesome. I've learned a good bit from this alone.