⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Resource Query, part 2

BlueSteelRanger

The other detail that can lead to problems with icons is if you don't have an icon for each texture size setting. In the BSA you'll be looking for the same icon in the Menus, Menus50 and Menus80 folders.

Which of the three crowns was the problem one?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, okay. :)

@Striker879 "Which of the three crowns was the problem one?" The one labelled "rubycrown". Which is odd, since all the mesh/texture paths now all match up.

I shall note here that I put in the Sceptre as a mace. I think I will try removing the "weapon" status from it.

Hmm ... I'm no expert (we need Drake for this, or maybe Pekka) but looking at rubycrownh.nif and comparing to ocrown.nif the only difference I see is in the NiMaterialProperty fields. In ocrown.nif (which is the more complex of the two) the actual crown parts are set as Material.001 and the gem parts are set as EnvMap2.001 whereas in the rubycrownh.nif the crown part is set as EnvMap2 as well as the gem parts being EnvMap2 (I also see that crystalcrown.nif uses EnvMap2 for NiMaterialProperty but from my understanding that crown is sort of like a glass/partially see through sort of affair, so EnvMap2 may make sense there where gold shouldn't be see through so maybe EnvMap2 is the problem ... we are treading into areas above my pay grade here).

The name of the Material doesn't matter as you name it to whatever you think is proper. If I make a upper list, I name the Material to UpperListMAT, simple as that. It is a name, nothing else... ;)

What differ the jewels from other objects in that mesh is the glow as it use APPLY_HILIGHT and have a NiAlphaProperty and my coffee machine has that as well as does all glass in the game. :) What I do not like is that he use space in his path's really as no one else do that what I have seen. I cannot see anything special as NifSkope fixes any problem when it loads the objects and saves them. If the problem is not solvable, Nifskope will produce an error message telling you that you screwed the mesh up and I have done that but a couple of months back now last time.

I do hate the Nifexporter for Blender as it bake all different material together as the developper think that we wants that.

So the exporter claims:

-I see that your materials are very similar, so I bake them all together :wallbash:

I then edit the material in one Nifskope to give it right colors and also right Glossiness as it fails to do that and when I copy each object branch to a new Nifskope number 2, everything will get perfect. Its so cool. If you want a new window, just press [Ctrl]-[N]

Well just load it in NifSkope and save it again, nothing else... ;)

Well just try to load it in Nifscope and save it again. It will recreate the Nif in case something is wrong with it. Mesh = Nif

It is just a long shot.

If it is not working. Click the jewel in Nifscope and it opens that gem object on the left side so there you can check if the path to the jewel is right. Lets do this step by step.

I hope you can see this picture :smile:
50904706233_307159da67_o.png

• Click the jewel
  • Click arrow next to the NiTriStrips that will open up the whole gem object
  • Open the NiTexruringObject with the arrow next to it

Now you see the path and it points to Bethesda's original Ruby.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be able to see the textures easy in Nifskope, you click the menu

• Options -> Settings

Click the Resources and then click the tab Paths and click

• Auto Detect Paths

Do the same for your archives that this picture shows.
50905559982_02862696ff_o.png

I also checked if I do have the gems unpacked and they are and that might explain why I can see them. I do not remember unpacking them so they might came with the resource??

You might have a validation problem? I installed SkyBSA that will sort that out. If you use OBMM, then it might try to ride over SkyBSA but we check that later how to fix that if this is the case. Striker have told me in another thread what I should and shouldn't do. :wink:

------------------------------------------

The main developer for NIF must be a Monty Python fan as I bet he loves the Knights of Nee (Ni in Swedish) from the movie, the Holy Grail as every damn property starts with Ni so if you just ignore those 2 first letters, every name in Nifskope is easy to read after a while when you get used to it. Well this is the association I do with Ni at least. I just noticed you do spell it Nee in your odd language, not i as we should have spelled it. :) We do spell how the letters actually sounds like in Swedish after all. :D

Graham Chapmans crown reminds some of these, doesn't it?? :wink:

Edited by Pellape

Well, actually the "Ni" at the start of all properties or the like in a NIF stand for "Net Immerse", the creators of the NIF file format.

And no, the "name" of a material isn't always immaterial (pun intended). There are very well hardcoded material names which cause special effects to be applied to the mesh ("mesh" != NIF but NiTriShape or -Strips block here, the actual geometries inside a NIF).

For example "EnvMap2" will render the "environment mapping" effect all over the mesh, so it looks like reflecting the surrounding some. There's also "EnvMap", I think, but it's rarely used, if at all.

And let's not forget "skin"/"Skin", without which no body part inside a clothing or armor item will ever have actual skin.

The "APPLY_HIGHLIGHT" in the NiTexturingProperty makes the surface really shiny, like plastic, but it does not cause any reflection effects on its own without material being "EnvMap2".

However, I fail to see how any of this has any relation to the CTDs occurring with only the one crown still and not the others. It can't just be the material settings or some such alone.

I have already witnessed some outside-all-rules weirdness before with certain meshes and their settings, so I won't outright deny any potential cause.

I had meshes loosing their rigging, i.e. which skeleton bone their parts stick to and how much during animations, and shooting off into infinity, only because the mesh was missing its normal map texture file. (Only 1 known case of this ever so far)

And I have some weird crystalline eyes in a wearable item of mine, which work correctly in 5 out of 6 variants I copy&pasted them into, but in 1 they float static in the air instead of sticking to the rest. They also cause other surfaces in vicinity to be overlayed with weird opaque colors in different camera angles increasing over time to boot.

So don't tell me something cannot go wrong in a completely unexplainably random way for no discernible reason at all, I've had a lot of this so far.

Still wondering what the reason for the CTDs here could be.

Nice. I didn't know that about the names of the material's and my CoffeMachine seems to not know it either, as it do reflect but I should test it to see if it gets better really. It might turn up to be very cool??

50787951166_c446fbcbaf_o.jpg

DAMN!!! I just checked the material name for the pitcher and it is EnvMap2... 50905320308_efe5a3ff02_o.png

Thanks Drake for the enlightenment !!!!!

So why is it EnvMap2 - I did load a glass vile as I have not made glass in 14 yeas, to see it in Blender, so I used that same material at the pitcher and also at the tank as I am lazy...

----------------------------

CTD? Well I did mention I did crashed my ECS when I tried a crown on a Khajiit... But BSR, do try to just load it and save it in NifSkope first....

Edited by Pellape

1. I do not use OBMM, no. I'm still unsure about using that alongside my adaptive stuff.
2. I'm still learning how to use BSAUnpacker. Do I just run the thing and then tell it to "Unpack all"?
3. Sweden? Neat! Also Monty Python is hilarious :D "I FART IN YOUR GENERAL DIRECTION!"
4. "CTD? Well I did mention I did crashed my ECS when I tried a crown on a Khajiit... But BSR, do try to just load it and save it in NifSkope first...." I'll do that and try again. The others work perfectly, so it's worth a definite shot.
Also, Drake, I didn't know that either. I gotta say I'm learning some cool-@$$ stuff here.