Steam sale and downloading issues prompts CDN expansion

Dark0ne

Thanks for the update man. I was trying to download some mods and I thought the issue was the Nexus Mod Manager, until I tried manual download and that failed as well. I hope everything improves soon, I'd like to get back into modding for FO3 and NV.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the explanation. I too have had some problems and slow downloading lately. I hadn't really thought about why or connected it to the Steam sale, although that makes perfect sense. And it certainly hadn't occurred to me to complain about it, as I'm getting tons of great content for free with a reasonable number of adverts. Who complains that they aren't getting great stuff for free quickly enough?

Thanks for all the hard work, good luck moving to CDN, and congrats on the new users.

Among all the complaining I've seen, I'm glad to say this: despite the constant hammering on your servers, the Nexus held strong. Despite not being able to download (I was trying to update a few mods that pushed updates during the sale week... I'd forgotten about the Steam Sale), the site held up and I could still post comments and browse mods.

So despite the problems you had from the unexpected load, you fixed the bigger problem. I remember in previous years when the Nexus went down for maintenance almost every day of the Steam Sales because of the tremendous strain on the servers.

Yet, now, the worst thing that happened was NMM being unable to download and the very unintuitive "An error has occurred" manual download error prompt. Perhaps a revised message, a little more wordy and to the point, could be used, along with a few others in case of need. Something like, "Our servers are slightly overloaded. Please wait a few minutes and try again." in order to stop the (admittedly, I did this) retry-spamming that frustrated users do. Retry, error, retry, error, retry again, another error, so on and so forth, adding to the load on the servers.

At least with the CDN, you'll be able to see the Steam Sale approaching and expand the amount of download servers. No more "servers are at capacity" unless the Nexus gets a heck of a whopper the next time there's a Steam Sale. Or whenever Fallout 4 / TES VI gets released...

I've been pointing people to this article, which was posted when I was updating a mod. Everyone keeps getting an error trying to download, then ranting at me as if I have anything to do with it o_O

Not everything works perfectly all the time. No one could've predicted the outcome of the Steam Sale, or that there'd be an issue at all. You think you've got it covered but it turns out you don't. No big deal, you're just better prepared for next time, if there is one :)

For the moment I just added a temporary mirror for my file. It's not the end of the world if you can't download a mod, IMO.

Uum...I've downloaded a few mods over the last week or so and never noticed any kind of slowdown! But then I have a pee poor connection anyway.

While I'm here - a great big and heartfelt thank you to all involved with the Nexus, not only Dark0ne & his cohorts, but also all the modders out there.

Well, that makes sense. This explains why I haven't been able to download the most recently updated versions of a few of the mods and utilities that I use over the past week. I usually don't have any trouble, thanks for the news update. Had an error trying to download the file for Mod Organizer 1.2.9 and I'm like "What? this scenario hasn't happened before" . I didn't spam the links, if something isn't working, it isn't working so I started searching for answers and found this. I'll just chill until the Steam Summer Sale madness and after effects blows over.