Steam sale and downloading issues prompts CDN expansion

Dark0ne

Interestingly, the low speed downloads motivated me to upgrade to Premium (bought Skyrim during this year's summer sale). But that's something I'd do anyway, love this site. I underestimated when people said how big is the modding community for Skyrim.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checked and tomorrow I'll have been a Nexus User (on the cheap) for 1 year.

Time to stop freeloading and divvy up for Premiun Membership, I think.

Skyrim is my game of choice, but Nexus covers much more, and in terms of value it's taken a superb game and added at least twice the value on top - by providing a relatively stable vehicle for the thousands of talented modders out there.

It's been a gaming revelation for me. Thanks to all at Nexus and the modding community behind the vehicle.

In response to post #16338290.

Pretty much, yeah - this graphic might help your understanding (I refer a lot of people to it for this subject):

http://img.scoop.it/Giul5Le-p5Iyvy25aD5J0Tl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVvK0kTmF0xjctABnaLJIm9

Obviously the graphic is just a basic example, but it indicates how a CDN works at the core level.

A lot of CDN's also pre-cache the most popular files on their "servers", allowing for increased speeds.

As an example, one of my clients (I'm a web developer) has a very image-heavy site - before using a CDN, it could take up to about a minute for some pages to load due to high resolution images. After switching to a CDN, those same pages load, on average, in about 12 seconds!

Edited by FreakOfNatureUK

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post the following, my apologies if it isn't.

I'm not a premium member yet, but I intend to be (a lifetime member) in early 2015 (Q1). I've gamed Skyrim since it was released and it was a great game for 3 gaming rounds. Then, when I joined Nexus Skyrim gaming "everything changed - forever"! The best gaming decision I've ever made has been creating my Nexus Mod account in April 2012. Now, for 3250+ (not including the initial 3 runs) I have enjoyed Skyrim gaming tremendously!

I've been hitching a ride on NMM (freeloading) for over two years; my thanks to you Dark0ne and your talented team! One thing I have found, being an NMM member, is that you and your NMM team seldom get the recognition you deserve. You have my thanks and my gratitude!

I defy anyone to find a better value and offer from any site on the World Wide Web. NMM deserves my support and you have it, but in Q1 2015 you will officially have a lifetime's of it.

As for the occasional technical issues; "other then the stress and hard work it forces upon the NMM team", it simply doesn't effect me or my game play. I offer the NMM team my sympathy and respect, and I know NMM will be restored as quickly as possible. Additionally, you have my condolences for the river of BS you will need to wade through in its aftermath.

One more thing; NMM hasn't just provided me a vast number of mods to improve my gaming joy, I've learned about load orders, cleaning mods with TES5Edit, LOOT, Wrye Bash, Script Extensions, System Performance, Animation, fabulous loving relationships with my dearest female followers, and I haven't even started thinking of creating my own mods yet. You have enhanced not just my gaming experience; you take me on an educational journey I'd never thought I would have been entitled to enjoy.

BTW, thank you for your social monitoring of NMM; I've been on art sites where the level of expletives, vulgarity, and disrespect is deplorable. It's an additional joy being able to converse with others in a civil and respectful forum, again my thanks to you.

In closing and, as stated before, there simply isn't a better value on the web! Thank You.

Edited by tvilleron