Vortex Alpha Release

Dark0ne

So after downloading Vortex and using it for a day, I ended up finding Mod manager to be simpler and easier...plus I'm already used to it. So I went back to using nexus mod manager but now when I try downloading any mods it doesn't seem to do anything at all. It's like its trying to download with vortex but I'm trying to have it go to nexus mod manager(I have vortex uninstalled).

EDIT: I had to install a newer nexus mod manager and it somehow fixed it.

Edited by Jmodrak18

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #57869416.

Solongchu wrote: I found 2 mods so far that for some reason show as installed but are missing pretty much all their files even though when you compare them to others that installed without a problem there is no difference in the structure they are Rogue Like Encounters and Ultimate Deadly Encounters. I had to install them manually to get the files to go in. I contacted the mod author and he believes the issue is on your end.

Also no error messages pop up either to say something went wrong

In response to post #57876936.

Jmodrak18 wrote: So after downloading Vortex and using it for a day, I ended up finding Mod manager to be simpler and easier...plus I'm already used to it. So I went back to using nexus mod manager but now when I try downloading any mods it doesn't seem to do anything at all. It's like its trying to download with vortex but I'm trying to have it go to nexus mod manager(I have vortex uninstalled).

EDIT: I had to install a newer nexus mod manager and it somehow fixed it.

I had the same problem, HadToRegister supplied the answer. If it happens again, close NMM then right click, and hit, run as administrator, otherwise it won't work, here is his answer, All I did was manually start NMM, then click on the gear Icon, then UNCHECK, then RE-CHECK the "Associate with NXM URL's" box. This did the trick.

In response to post #57850376.

SammySahm wrote: I'm not the early adopter type, but I am REALLY excited about this! Vortex sounds great, and hopefully will be able to work with gigantic mods like "Interesting NPCs". Good luck, and may Talos guide you!

Mine worked fine with Interesting npcs and several other huge mods I have

Hey there.

Okay I like the layout overall. Love how it handles incompatibilities and how you can just program the thing to load a specific mod before another specific one by just point and click.

One thing that I don't enjoy tho, but I hope it gets addressed, is the time it takes to install and activate mods. Sometimes I thought it freezes, but it was loading the scripted installer of the mod. If you press more than once the install button, it will run the installer as many times as you pressed it, and this could become a nuisance, specially when you install a large number of mods that you know they will work with each other.

Another thing for the layout, and this comes more as a suggestion, is for you in both the mod menu and plug in list, make it "gradient" (hope this is the correct term in English), like, have one line gray, and other a darker/lighter tone to better distinguish the lines in the load order, like Mod Organizer did. That may be nitpicking, but visually to me, and I believe to many others, make a hell of a diference. Many times I was activating and deactivating the wrong mods, and it is frustrating, considering it takes some time for Vortex to complete those processes.

Aside from these gripes, I am loving it so far.

Have been using MO as from forever, and NMM to some extent. I have been modding my games since Oblivion and FO3, and did so extensively. "Clicking-and-running" is probably not my preferred style of modding, I prefer a more deliberate and thought out approach. (not that "clicking-and-running" is not a valid style of modding). Since the alpha release of Vortex I have been running it on a 32- bit, and a 64-bit play-through of TESV and FO4. Learning the Manager and looking at how it handles heavy modded games in both environments. I'm impressed. There are of course niggles, but the deeper I dig into Vortex, the more I am surprised - pleasantly so. Indeed a worthy successor to both MO and NMM. Your experience entirely depends on how much you are willing to learn and experiment at this point.Great job guys. I really like what I am seeing. Keep up the good work.

Thank you for broadening your Alpha access. I've downloaded it more out of curiosity right now, to see what it looks like and how it works. Thanks Tannin and all at Nexus for creating this new Manager!

In response to post #57804721. #57834341 is also a reply to the same post.

Thynoan wrote: I like the new look. Installed it and tried importing mods from NMM and at stage 3, the screen turns white and that's it. It always happens when importing 3DNPC. I'm pretty sure I have the lossefiles version. Would that be the reason?
haguerepairguy wrote: Best way to get past it is to uninstall that mod from NMM, then import, and redownload that mod from nexus using vortex, that should fix the problem. Just remember the install order and what it conflicts with first so you can easily set those rules up without breaking your game trying to figure it out. Honestly though, I found the best way to do things is to completely start from a fresh install of the game, then download the mods, but that's only because I'm extremely picky and already had issues with save games breaking thanks to bad install order etc. with Fallout 4. Right now I'm looking at the most realistic version of Fallout 4 I've ever seen, with almost no frame drops or issues and I'm looking at nearing 100 mods. Again, that was my doing that caused the issues before though, so it's not a requirement you do it that way.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't give enough information the first time around. I did a fresh windows install, as well as Steam and Skyrim SE. Installed Vortex only and downloaded 3dnpc. I couldn't find a version on the nexus for Skyrim SE, so got one friom the author's site. When I tried installing it using vortex, it works for a while and then white screen. Checked the Vortex director and it shows the file at about 1.6GB and doesn't get any larger.

Gopher just added a couple of hours ago, another video in which he points out who should use Vortex and who should not.

Tannin already said that Vortex is replacing NMM and Gopher made it also clear that if you used NMM before, Vortex should be the tool for you.

It has been also advised that at this point that Vortex is in Alpha state, you should use it only IF you do not mind the risk of game failure because while in Alpha state, Vortex is not fully developed and may break your game.

Personally, I have only used NMM since I started to play in PC, so for me, Vortex is my new tool. Right now I only have Skyrim which I installed from scratch. I also have Fallout 4 still in NMM and for now, I would not export it to Vortex till I learn very well how to deal with dependencies and load order. I am waiting for Gopher to post the next videos about how to deal with dependencies and load order, so once I feel that I am ready for heavy modding, I will start a new Fallout 4 game. My current game is patched, there are some mods I would like to get rid of and also to add some mods that I did not included in my current load order.

The most important thing IMHO, is to use Vortex with an open mind, be ready to accept game failures, learn it, fix it and provide my feedback to the developing team. They need our opinion, we need them to fix what is not working properly and sooner than later, Vortex will be fully developed. ;)

OK, as I have stated before, I am not going to be happy with Vortex without the ability to "install order" adjust individual files in conflicting mod packages. However, once that capability is added, i will be retiring MO for good and obviously Vortex is already a hella lot better than NMM.

Im currently running 76 Mods and a few of them are very large mods that MO had trouble with. So far, it has not CTD once (except once when I try to go to fast and started the game before the plugin I just installed had a chance to deploy. BTW i'm ok with just having to be patient, but could we get Vortex to run install, and Deployment a little faster please :) ),not a studer, or hiccup and Skyrim runs as fast and as smooth as virgin Skyrim thus far. Now, it may be a little too soon for me to say that Vortex is more stable than MO because I'm not slapping up against the 255 esp limits and recklessly "wrye bashing" stuff together to get past the limit like I was in MO. However, I have high hopes for Vortex, and I believe it will deliver :) One of the weak points with MO ironically was exactly what many loved most about MO. I'm referring to its Virtual File System (VFS). Damn was it handy to keep the Data folder clean, and that was much loved. However, damn was it a pain in the ass when a tool expected files to be in the data folder that were not without MO running. Having to run everything thru MO so it would see the files was only one of the problems with VFS. Compatibility patches with fomod installers (or any fomod that needed to be able to see you install) was another problem and I could go on, but why keep kicking a dead horse. Ontheotherhand, some will not call the horse (MO) dead but rather call Vortex dead if it does not get those powerful features that MO had like the individual file level mod conflict resolution I mentioned earlier, and the ability to extract BSA so they can resolve file conflicts within and/or even make modification to the file/file structure to suit their taste, and i'm sure there are a few more Im forgetting at the moment.

I don't want to start counting the chickens till they have all hatched, but most have hatched and there seems to be a few more in the nest than ever before:)

For those that are literally metaphorically challenged, (lol) or those using translation, in short; I am very happy with the progress of Vortex. It has surpassed NMO and will likely surplant MO/MO2 eventually as well. Way to go Tannin and those who are helping especially with bug chasing (that got to be rough), and to the modding community for coming together to submit feedback in a way that's useful so that our "Vortex Dreams" can become reality.

BTW in Oldrum we were limited to 255 plugins because 255 =FF in Hex and 32 bit programs can only access 2 hex registers (FF) or something like that. If that's correct does anybody out there know if Skyrim SE being 64 bit = FFFF (vs FF) = 65535 plugins? :)

Edited by mcdanielskh