Do not put mods/downloads into your Vortex install directory!

Tannin42

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with this. I always keep my downloads in the windows download directory. Having recently switched to SSE, I've noticed that mod archives don't seem to be directly available any more. You cannot "reinstall" a mod. You have to remove it and go back to reinstalling from file. This was not the case with Oldrim. Maybe that was a fortunate side effect of importing everything from NMM? Not a big deal....just saying.

I have no problem with this. I always keep my downloads in the windows download directory. Having recently switched to SSE, I've noticed that mod archives don't seem to be directly available any more. You cannot "reinstall" a mod. You have to remove it and go back to reinstalling from file. This was not the case with Oldrim. Maybe that was a fortunate side effect of importing everything from NMM? Not a big deal....just saying.

That's because SSE uses different mods than Skyrim does, Vortex won't show your Skyrim LE mods if you're using it to mod Skyrim SE

That's why there's a Skyrim section to download mods, and a Skyrim Special Edition section to download mods.

They aren't interchangeable between games.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

When Vortex updates to a new version it removes and replaces the previous installation directory. If you have your mods/downloads stored there they will be deleted.

This is not a bug in Vortex, it will not/can not be fixed. The vortex install directory is intended for application files only, you should not put anything else in there.

The same is true if you played around with bundled extensions or localisations: backup those files!

If you have such a setup (e.g. mods stored in C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\mods\skyrim) you have to move your mod&download directories before the next update.

Future versions of Vortex will warn about such setups being wrong but there is nothing we can do to leave such a setup intact on update if it's already in place.

i have a question when im on chrome trying to download a mod i click use vortex and nothing happens also i cant click to go to the next page and the nexus logo by my profile is greyed out and i cant click on it what can i do ?

When Vortex updates to a new version it removes and replaces the previous installation directory. If you have your mods/downloads stored there they will be deleted.

This is not a bug in Vortex, it will not/can not be fixed. The vortex install directory is intended for application files only, you should not put anything else in there.

The same is true if you played around with bundled extensions or localisations: backup those files!

If you have such a setup (e.g. mods stored in C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\mods\skyrim) you have to move your mod&download directories before the next update.

Future versions of Vortex will warn about such setups being wrong but there is nothing we can do to leave such a setup intact on update if it's already in place.

i have a question when im on chrome trying to download a mod i click use vortex and nothing happens also i cant click to go to the next page and the nexus logo by my profile is greyed out and i cant click on it what can i do ?

Vortex-Chrome.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So does this mean FNIS users are screwed and should stop using FNIS since to work properly if I understand it FNIS requires you to move your games out of either of the Program Files locations. If I am incorrect then something else is causing my Skyrim SE game to get stuck in a forever loop at the start when Alduin shows up for his big introduction at Helgen. I just recently added FNIS and FNIS based mods to my game and now I can't get past the headsman block in Helgen Alduin just keeps circling the town and Hadvar keeps trying to walk through the wall. Any ideas of what I may have done wrong would be appreciated and if I can keep from having to move Steam again that would be nice as I just moved it to my new TB SSD C drive from the old location on my TB mechanical HD D drive.