Vortex vs NMM vs MO2

Filmore

Paused gamign for a while, massive FO3/FONV fan, got me FO4, was not too happy, returned now to find NMM being deprecated.

Tried Vortex - don't like it. FO4 is the only game I play at the moment so I consider going back to NMM, though lot of mods, don't want to install manually really.

So - can I use another mod organzier than Vortex at all and still have nexusmods.com browser integration?

Paused gamign for a while, massive FO3/FONV fan, got me FO4, was not too happy, returned now to find NMM being deprecated. Tried Vortex - don't like it. FO4 is the only game I play at the moment so I consider going back to NMM, though lot of mods, don't want to install manually really. So - can I use another mod organzier than Vortex at all and still have nexusmods.com browser integration?

I bumped into this thread while reading about Vortex and judging if it's worth switching to it from MO2 (Mod Organizer 2).

It seems I won't be doing that jump since Vortex lacks the best feature of MO2 - in MO2 mod files are separate from game folder, so the game itself stays vanilla clean and you can run it if you want at any time. All mod files are linked virtually on-the-fly when you launch the game from MO2. Also, because of that it has perfect profile system, no glitches whatsoever, you can even have different save files for each profile.

With NMM (and probably Vortex as it functions the same), your game folder will have a lot of extra mod files in it, switching profiles simply doesn't work (In NMM at least) and sometimes you'll decide you had enough of that junk and just delete everything and reinstall the game from clean slate...

With MO2 it's very easy to test mods, keep two versions of same mod to test upgrade process, basically all changes are made inside MO2, there's no actual file actions. You just disable or enable mods, change their load and overwrite order in program, etc. Then you run the game and MO2 uses new settings to provide this specific mod config to the game.

With NMM (=Vortex) every install/uninstall actually modifies your game data folder, so it's longer, more error-prone, and resolving file overwrites requires reinstalling the conflicting mods.

Edited by andy_scull

I ended up back at NMM, simply because I know it, and, well, it works, though I admit I spend more time following load-order-howtos than with Vortex so now mods work as intended.

"Back to Windows gaming" and "new not too easy usable tool" in one fell swoop was a bit much. Wish one would emerge as a standard. Thought NMM would.

Vortex needs a lot of GUI work, puts thing in places far away from where you exepct them, the graphical load order needs a big tutorial video (I didn't say anything if there is, would like the link) but has promising features.

Virtual files... man, if gaming would go Linux we could just mount alt versions on top or create directories with different symlinks and whatnot.

• 1 month later...

I ended up back at NMM, simply because I know it, and, well, it works, though I admit I spend more time following load-order-howtos than with Vortex so now mods work as intended.

"Back to Windows gaming" and "new not too easy usable tool" in one fell swoop was a bit much. Wish one would emerge as a standard. Thought NMM would.

Vortex needs a lot of GUI work, puts thing in places far away from where you exepct them, the graphical load order needs a big tutorial video (I didn't say anything if there is, would like the link) but has promising features.

Virtual files... man, if gaming would go Linux we could just mount alt versions on top or create directories with different symlinks and whatnot.

Loot works with NMM, I use NMM, but, not loot, so, not precisely sure how to make it go, I am sure there is a thread about it around here somewhere. :)