Vortex causes CTD on new game/load game in Skyrim SE

iensteni

I will try to explain everything in chronological order. First of all, I will say that I am convinced this is Vortex's fault. There was literally only Vortex and a browser running at the time of the events. Okay, so this is what happened:

1. I opened Vortex and Nexusmods. Installed a few mods for Skyrim Special Edition. Tested them in-game. No issues. Everything as usual.
2. I quicksaved and used "qqq" to exit Skyrim. Everything as usual.

3. I opened Vortex and Nexusmods. No issues. Everything as usual.

4. I installed a bunch of retexture mods from Nexus using Vortex. Installed them one by one. Everything as usual.

5. When deployment started, a window popped up in Vortex. The "external changes" one. I've seen that window before, never had issues with it. Except this time EVERY SINGLE MOD I had installed was listed in that window.

6. I chose "save changes" for every mod and clicked "Save". Vortex started "sorting mods". It never finished sorting, I had to terminate Vortex in task manager because it seemed like it was never going to end, despite the active RAM and disk usage at all times.

6.1 Sidenote: I have about 7 Gb of mods, and the disk usage was averaging at 20 Mb/sec. 7 Gb divided by 20 Mb/sec is about 5 minutes. The "sorting mods" process had been going for 30 minutes when I terminated it.

7. I restarted Vortex a few times, steps 5 and 6 repeated themselves everytime.

8. Eventually went to Vortex settings to find out that the deployment method was somehow changed from Hardlink to Movement. I didn't change it at any point beforehand.

8.1 Sidenote: I never had luck with Movement method, it never seemed to work on my system, so I stuck with Hardlink.

9. After changing it back to Hardlink I tried deplying mods, the dreaded "external changes" window popped up again. This time I chose "revert changes" for all mods. The "sorting mods" process was completed instantaneously.

10. Went back to Skyrim, clicked "Continue", crash to desktop. Figured my savefile got screwed up, so next time I selected "New game". Ctd. So the issue isn't with my existing save.

11. I tried switching to movement, deploying and purging, and switching back to hardlink, nothing helped. I still get ctd everytime I have mods enabled. After I purge mods with hardlink method, I get no ctd and obviously no mods.

Manually disabling every plugin to see what's causing the problem revealed that every single plugin managed by Vortex (e.g. Bashed Patch isn't managed by Vortex) was causing ctd. I'm afraid i'll have to uninstall all 130 mods and install them again, but I am not sure that will help.

In conclusion, my deployment method was magically switched to Movement from Hardlink and that's where the trouble began. If anyone has had similar experiences with Vortex or wants to know something, feel free to comment.

I will try to explain everything in chronological order. First of all, I will say that I am convinced this is Vortex's fault. There was literally only Vortex and a browser running at the time of the events. Okay, so this is what happened:

1. I opened Vortex and Nexusmods. Installed a few mods for Skyrim Special Edition. Tested them in-game. No issues. Everything as usual.

4. I installed a bunch of retexture mods from Nexus using Vortex. Installed them one by one. Everything as usual.

5. When deployment started, a window popped up in Vortex. The "external changes" one. I've seen that window before, never had issues with it. Except this time EVERY SINGLE MOD I had installed was listed in that window.

6. I chose "save changes" for every mod and clicked "Save". Vortex started "sorting mods". It never finished sorting, I had to terminate Vortex in task manager because it seemed like it was never going to end, despite the active RAM and disk usage at all times.

6.1 Sidenote: I have about 7 Gb of mods, and the disk usage was averaging at 20 Mb/sec. 7 Gb divided by 20 Mb/sec is about 5 minutes. The "sorting mods" process had been going for 30 minutes when I terminated it.

8. Eventually went to Vortex settings to find out that the deployment method was somehow changed from Hardlink to Movement. I didn't change it at any point beforehand.

8.1 Sidenote: I never had luck with Movement method, it never seemed to work on my system, so I stuck with Hardlink.

9. After changing it back to Hardlink I tried deplying mods, the dreaded "external changes" window popped up again. This time I chose "revert changes" for all mods. The "sorting mods" process was completed instantaneously.

10. Went back to Skyrim, clicked "Continue", crash to desktop. Figured my savefile got screwed up, so next time I selected "New game". Ctd. So the issue isn't with my existing save.

11. I tried switching to movement, deploying and purging, and switching back to hardlink, nothing helped. I still get ctd everytime I have mods enabled. After I purge mods with hardlink method, I get no ctd and obviously no mods.

Manually disabling every plugin to see what's causing the problem revealed that every single plugin managed by Vortex (e.g. Bashed Patch isn't managed by Vortex) was causing ctd. I'm afraid i'll have to uninstall all 130 mods and install them again, but I am not sure that will help.

In conclusion, my deployment method was magically switched to Movement from Hardlink and that's where the trouble began. If anyone has had similar experiences with Vortex or wants to know something, feel free to comment.

You really hosed your setup by stopping Vortex while it was sorting, you also hosed your setup by Reverting everything.

You should always pick SAVE

You really hosed your setup by stopping Vortex while it was sorting, you also hosed your setup by Reverting everything.

You should always pick SAVE

As I said, the sorting process was endless when I picked "save". Or was it supposed to run for at least 30 minutes? I did have 7 Gb if mods.

Reinstalled SkyrimSE. Reinstalled Vortex. Uninstalled every mod and tried installing it again, on a clean SkyrimSE. Doesn't help, I still get the "external changes" window EVERY time I deploy mod, regardless of wether I choose "Save" or "Revert". And every mod I had installed prior to the new deployment is listed in that window.

Edited by iensteni

...or you could provide actuall useful info. Still sounds like user error to me. Install path? Download location, etc.?

Install path and Mods path are on the same hdd as Skyrim and are not the same directory. I set them once when I installed Vortex and never changed them, the problem cannot be with directories. As I said, the problem comes down to the deployment method magically switching to Movement from Hardlink by itself. I didn't manually switch it.

Reinstalled SkyrimSE. Reinstalled Vortex. Uninstalled every mod and tried installing it again, on a clean SkyrimSE. Doesn't help, I still get the "external changes" window EVERY time I deploy mod, regardless of wether I choose "Save" or "Revert". And every mod I had installed prior to the new deployment is listed in that window.

In conclusion, Vortex is MEGA ASS.

That "external changes" window is SUPPOSED to show up whenever you get ready to deploy mods after installing them, because that';s when Vortex writes them.

STOP REVERTING THE CHANGES FFS, I TOLD YOU TO PICK SAVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you're just complaining about Vortex working the wat it's supposed to.

Try watching the videos, and reading the FAQ and tutorials in the HELP thread in this forum.

You're trying to bull your way through using Vortex without knowing what you're doing and you're blaming Vortex for it.

In conclusion, Vortex is MEGA ASS.

That "external changes" window is SUPPOSED to show up whenever you get ready to deploy mods after installing them, because that';s when Vortex writes them.

STOP REVERTING THE CHANGES FFS, I TOLD YOU TO PICK SAVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you're just complaining about Vortex working the wat it's supposed to.

Try watching the videos, and reading the FAQ and tutorials in the HELP thread in this forum.

You're trying to bull your way through using Vortex without knowing what you're doing and you're blaming Vortex for it.

I thought I was being stupid and the sorting process really takes that long, and tried to just leave Vortex to itself for a while. In the morning installed all mods, deployed manually and left Vortex to its sorting process after selecting Save instead of Revert. Went to uni. When I came back home (9 hours later), Vortex was STILL sorting. Is this really ok? At this point i'm ready to just redownload all 7 (actually 10) Gb of mods I had.

Edited by iensteni