⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Which .ini can I edit that Vortex won't redo?

MisterKen
Go to solution Solved by Tannin42,

I noticed that Vortex appears to make a couple of copies of the game's normal .ini files, .baked, etc etc, and switching profiles appears to also switch .ini files if the profile has the setting On. I wanted to add the line items to stop the silly intro ads across all profiles, and I'm guessing Vortex won't do anything with any Fallout4Custom.ini, is that right? If I put the line items in there, Vortex won't care and won't remake them? Or is there a single file Vortex will use for all profiles or . . . ?

Always edit the original ini files the same way you would if you weren't using Vortex.

We don't expect you to account for Vortex in your ini editing at all.

Any changes you do to Fallout4.ini and Fallout4Prefs.ini will not be replaced by Vortex unless they are settings Vortex actually has to change to make modding work (in the way you set up inside Vortex)

In regards to profiles, editing the regular ini files affects the active profile within Vortex. In the case where you want to edit the ini for an inactive profile you'd go to the vortex profiles directory and edit the ini in the appropriate directory but I would discourage that.

• 2 years later...

You guys are doing something wrong. I have .ini edits for SSE, FNV, and FO4 and they all stick. As Tannin said, just treat the .ini's as if you weren't using a mod manager. And as HTR said, turn off "This profile has its own game settings".

You guys are doing something wrong. I have .ini edits for SSE, FNV, and FO4 and they all stick. As Tannin said, just treat the .ini's as if you weren't using a mod manager. And as HTR said, turn off "This profile has its own game settings".

Nexus/Vortex team have already confirmed that Vortex does exactly what we described in a discussion on their Discord.

Always edit the original ini files the same way you would if you weren't using Vortex.

We don't expect you to account for Vortex in your ini editing at all.

Any changes you do to Fallout4.ini and Fallout4Prefs.ini will not be replaced by Vortex unless they are settings Vortex actually has to change to make modding work (in the way you set up inside Vortex)

In regards to profiles, editing the regular ini files affects the active profile within Vortex. In the case where you want to edit the ini for an inactive profile you'd go to the vortex profiles directory and edit the ini in the appropriate directory but I would discourage that.

As stated, making changes to the original ini files is being completely reset each time I open Vortex. That's the reason for my post. In another Discord discussion it was confirmed that Vortex might do that, and working as intended. Because of that I stopped using Vortex.

I would be interested in hearing exactly who said exactly what on Discord. If you can - copy over their Discord comment.

Tannin, as the Vortex author, is the ultimate authority.

The way it should work:

Switch to the profile you want to use.

Modify Skyrim.ini in Documents/My Games/Skyrim Special Edition

Deploy at some point

After that, your changes to Skyrim.ini should never be overlaid by Vortex. I know my changes are permanent. across profile changes.

Edited by rmm200

Vortex is most certainly NOT resetting any of my .inis regardless of who said what on Discord. Proof of this is that I play at ugrids = 7. If Vortex was somehow resetting this, I wouldn't even be able to load my savegames. Other changes I have made (FOV, various LOD settings, etc.), I just spot checked. Nothing changed,

Nexus/Vortex team........

who is that exactly?