Site redesign - sneak peek - part 1

TheTokenGeek

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>This may be a little controversial, but we have discovered through extensive research and heat-mapping that this part of the site is often skipped over and our users jump straight into the game of their choice. We’re hoping that having the news and articles close to the top of the site will interest enough people to take a look.

Wait, you were surprised by the fact that the site oriented around mods will make people omit the news section? Really?

I do hope the front page can be customised, so we can turn on and off things we don't like. For example, the supposedly "popular" or "trending" choices. We all know that most of them will be half-naked gals, instead of actual worthwhile content. Or the news - if people didn't like them, why force it? I hope I could do things like on the frontpage of one's Deviantart, where you can hide and switch different elements to your liking.

Other than that, the design doesn't really look any better or worse than the current style. I'm glad that you have finally realised that PC screens are horizontal and not vertical - dropping the elongated form definitely will help.

Will it be possible to leave the current skin while retaining the functionality of the new version? That is one thing I really wish for: options. Lots of them. Allow people to shape the visage of the website they are viewing.

Edited by piotrmil

I like the new design a lot, good work !

A few suggestions :

- Add a way to make advanced searches directly from the toolbar (with the possiblity of adding cumulative search filters, like eg search for a name and an author and a game). This could be done with a simple gear button at the right of the Search button.

- I like GuerillaTech's idea of changing the color scheme of the website. Similarly to how the color scheme changes with each game in the current Nexus design, you'd be able to choose what you prefer.

- The " Download Mod" feature, directly from a thumbnail on the main page isn't a good idea. People already don't read descriptions a whole lot, this encourages even more laziness. Mod authors will suffer the most from this, since they will be the ones users will come to complain when the mod (unsurprisingly...) doesn't work.

Besides, how do you manage mods that have multiple main files ?

Edited by CreeperLava

People are creatures of habit. Or, at least, I am one. Therefor, and although I love innovation, I don't always welcome change. Because it's annoying to having to adapt to uncharted territory from something that has become comfortably familiar.

On the other hand, you lot don't seem to be people who change stuff just to be hip or to go with the latest trends, so, I trust you and although not looking forward to it, I will embrace the new surroundings with open arms. First might have to move some clutter from the desks to my left and right, mind...

My only hope is that there will still be "new today" pages for the latest added mods, as those are the links I keep in my bookmarks for the games I've played/am playing.

Thanks for keeping us informed ;)

Looks very nice and well-developed. One thing that might need improvement is that generic "File Not Found" error message that the systems throws at us when we view a deleted file entry. Perhaps provide a new deletion log that provides an explanation of why that file was deleted, if applicable?

That way, if our favorite mod suddenly disappeared this morning, we can at least find out why it was deleted.