⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Vortex Alpha Release

Dark0ne

In response to post #57690726. #57703451, #57703491, #57705326, #57706291, #57722026, #57724421 are all replies on the same post.

Zortyx wrote: Crashed my computer twice when trying to deploy mods and made the screen turn colours i didn't even know it could... yeah i'm going to leave this alone until it reaches beta.
peteredw wrote: Zortyx, when you state that your computer crashed first thing I would check is to make sure you have your graphics drivers, and the operating system are up to date. Even your Mod load order can cause crashes. From what your describing it sounds more like it could be a graphics issue.

I did have a similar issue on my own computer, uninstalling the drivers for the card then reinstalling them fixed the issue. :)
DarkDominion wrote: That has nothing to do with it being alpha
haguerepairguy wrote: If it's during deploy mods, that's one thing, but if it's after, when you try to load the game you just set up mods for, then you have a mod conflicting that's causing game issues. Could use a little more info as to what you were doing, with what mod, so maybe we can help you diagnose it. :)
Zortyx wrote: haguerepairguy It happenes 1/3 of the time right when i click the deploy button never when i launch the game. The only mods i have installed are texture mods, MCM and project nevada for fallout new vegas which work fine together on NMM and MO
haguerepairguy wrote: Sounds like a possible driver issue like peterdw said, just in case, I'd check that first, but also use the submit feedback button inside vortex, and take a screenshot if you can if it happens again and pass it along so they can see exactly what's happening, any errors that are generated, etc. It's very possible it's a bug.
RadioactiveStud wrote: This is the first someone has reported something like this. It's probably a problem on your end.

As everybody said, it should be a problem on your end, not Vortex.

I installed 97 Skyrim mods and no problem. For the first 16 hours game play, I had 6 CTD's because I had a bad load order and because I was not using SKSE.
As soon as I fixed my load order ( now I know how to deal with it ) and as soon as I installed SKSE ( outside Vortex ) and started to play, my game is very stable for the last 10 hours, no CTD's, no stuttering and no issues of any kind.

I also updated Vortex to the last version and I was afraid since there were reports that some mods / plugins were missing after doing that but in my case, I have not lost any and everything is fine ... except ... that I have not been able to attach SKSE to Vortex so I cannot launch it from within. Other than that, LOOT and FNIS were installed automatically.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #57690726. #57703451, #57703491, #57705326, #57706291, #57722026, #57724421, #57795456 are all replies on the same post.

Zortyx wrote: Crashed my computer twice when trying to deploy mods and made the screen turn colours i didn't even know it could... yeah i'm going to leave this alone until it reaches beta.
peteredw wrote: Zortyx, when you state that your computer crashed first thing I would check is to make sure you have your graphics drivers, and the operating system are up to date. Even your Mod load order can cause crashes. From what your describing it sounds more like it could be a graphics issue.

I did have a similar issue on my own computer, uninstalling the drivers for the card then reinstalling them fixed the issue. :)
haguerepairguy wrote: If it's during deploy mods, that's one thing, but if it's after, when you try to load the game you just set up mods for, then you have a mod conflicting that's causing game issues. Could use a little more info as to what you were doing, with what mod, so maybe we can help you diagnose it. :)
Zortyx wrote: haguerepairguy It happenes 1/3 of the time right when i click the deploy button never when i launch the game. The only mods i have installed are texture mods, MCM and project nevada for fallout new vegas which work fine together on NMM and MO
haguerepairguy wrote: Sounds like a possible driver issue like peterdw said, just in case, I'd check that first, but also use the submit feedback button inside vortex, and take a screenshot if you can if it happens again and pass it along so they can see exactly what's happening, any errors that are generated, etc. It's very possible it's a bug.
RadioactiveStud wrote: This is the first someone has reported something like this. It's probably a problem on your end.
sopmac45 wrote: As everybody said, it should be a problem on your end, not Vortex.

I installed 97 Skyrim mods and no problem. For the first 16 hours game play, I had 6 CTD's because I had a bad load order and because I was not using SKSE.
As soon as I fixed my load order ( now I know how to deal with it ) and as soon as I installed SKSE ( outside Vortex ) and started to play, my game is very stable for the last 10 hours, no CTD's, no stuttering and no issues of any kind.

I also updated Vortex to the last version and I was afraid since there were reports that some mods / plugins were missing after doing that but in my case, I have not lost any and everything is fine ... except ... that I have not been able to attach SKSE to Vortex so I cannot launch it from within. Other than that, LOOT and FNIS were installed automatically.

Does it happen when you play another game?

In response to post #57766476. #57771296, #57773836 are all replies on the same post.

remlnx wrote: I'm still trying to figure out how to make it work like MO (can it?) i want to keep my Skyrim installation pristine, while mods are just virtually installed as MO does.
Am i blind or that is not implemented in Vortex?
J.O.D. wrote: VFS is not in Vortex, hardlinks are. So the data folder is intact still, just another method.
remlnx wrote: So basically: I have to deploy to use my mods (Vortex will physically install it in my Data folder based on my install and load order i set on Vortex) and simply use the purge function to have it back as vanilla.

Am i right? Sorry im not really good on technical stuff and i have no clue on how hardlinks are working.

reminx,
I'm not answering for J.O.D but I figured I would give you and answer.
Yes, I believe that you properly understand now.
IMO it's not as clean as having a virgin data folder all the time, but I tried the purge and deploy thing and it seems to work just fine.
Just a thought, Keep a copy of virgin Skyrim folder on another disk or even on a thumb drive. If something bad happens like Steem pushes an update (Some have said that they receive updates from steam even when they opted out. ) that messes everything up, you can simply purge in Vortex, then Delete the entire Skyrim folder, copy and paste your Virgin copy of Skyrim you have stashed away, and re-deploy from Vortex :). Don't forget to reinstall SKSE and/or ENB that you might have been running. (hint, I package those parts as a mod as well :) ) Edited by mcdanielskh

In response to post #57639276. #57653421, #57697701, #57699261, #57703476, #57727756, #57785461 are all replies on the same post.

hati39 wrote: Since I seem not to be the only one with this problem: do I install skse64 as a seperate tool like LOOT beside the games directory or do I install it inside the games directory (as described in the skse readme). And I remember some problems during my MO times, so: What do I do with the scripts of any mod that uses skse? Will I have to move them to skse/scripts or does Vortex handle them like any other mod file?

edit: the usage of FNIS reveals some questions in the same direction ;)

edit #2: ok, since I want to start testing and nobody has an answer for me, I've installed skse64 as I did with MO, so I installed the main files to the games dir and the data folder as a mod. I leave fnis uninstalled for now.
mcdanielskh wrote: disregard. accidental post. Sorry
lued123 wrote: You can just install the entirety of SKSE as "vanilla" files. MO required the scripts to be installed as a mod because the VFS was weird, but Vortex uses highly compatible features that come with Windows, so you don't have to do that.
mcdanielskh wrote: Let me get this straight, We should just install in Vortex as packaged?
Or dont use Vortex?
I want to use Vortex so I can easily remove them by purging.
Can Vortex install stuff outside of the Data folder?
If not then I'm back to doing it as I did it.,
DarkDominion wrote: Install SKSE64: dll and exe go into the game file ( afaik Vortex can’t do this ) and I would suggest to zip up the scripts and install those through Vortex as any other date file dependent file ( so its easier to remove ).
That’s how I [edit] do it and it never fails...

EDIT: this is straight from Gophers video on how to install SKSE for Oldrim, not so much my idea :D
mcdanielskh wrote: Thanks DarkDominion, That's what I thought as well, and what I originally did. :) Which happens to be how I use to do it in MO as well. I was thinking lued123 was saying something more profound than he really was. No offence intended lued123 and I get what you are saying as well. However, I think adding the parts that go into the Data folder by zipping and adding as a mod makes a lot of since as DarkDominion also suggested.
scorpious2012 wrote: Just installed skse64 2-00-06 as a 7z file. Vortex will only install files in data folder. So! Manually drag n drop skse files into root folder (Skyrim) and root dir for scr fold. Part good part bad. The good is the fact if you wanted to uninstall skse it would be a night mare going through the script folder to figure which ones you need to remove. Using vortex to install what it will makes it easier to remove script files later.

Then all you have to do is set the path on the skse icon by the game. Select the 3 dots choose edit and put in the path for skse64_loder.exe. You then can launch game from there as well perhaps desktop icon if you set it up.

scorpious2012,
That's right. Install the "data" parts using Vortex but the skse64_loader.exe amd the skse64_steam_loader.dll must be in the Skyrim SE root. I just re-repackage the Data parts and install with Vortex and manually place the exe and dll. Alternatively, you might be able to use the Vortex Drop file method to install the entire skse rar into Vortex, then use the Vortex "Open in file manager" option to move the exe and the dll, then use the Deploy button. I have not tried doing it that way as i'm not sure the Vortex will allow the move of the exe and the dll to the root using its "Open in file manager", I will have to try that next time. Nevertheless, I think either way is just as easy.

I had an issue transferring from NMM where half of my installed mod folders were empty so I decided to just use the downloads folder and reinstall them but when I do that I dont get any of the version numbers hence I am unable to link to the mods page and check for up dates. Is there a button to scan the mods and fix this like there was in NMM?

In response to post #57690726. #57703451, #57703491, #57705326, #57706291, #57722026, #57724421, #57795456, #57797996 are all replies on the same post.

sopmac45 wrote: As everybody said, it should be a problem on your end, not Vortex.

Frederiko wrote: Does it happen when you play another game?

Ok I get it it's probably something on my end I don't exactly have the time or the personal investment into vortex to figure out why it did that since i still have my previous mod set up working, Edited by Zortyx

Silly question. Vortex not auto updating for me, how do I manually update myself? Im currently on version 0.13.1 Do I just download newest version and install it normally and will that remove my profiles/mod lists/etc.?

In response to post #57819431.

kflip101 wrote: Silly question. Vortex not auto updating for me, how do I manually update myself? Im currently on version 0.13.1 Do I just download newest version and install it normally and will that remove my profiles/mod lists/etc.?

Just download new version and install over. Your setting will stay (as you don't uninstall first!) From 0.13.3 the auto update is enabled.