Trying to understand

MajorCyco

The damage is "minor"

Even if people claim not that many mods will be deleted, the trust that always was here is now gone, we trusted Nexus to do the right thing, to respect author's right to choose if, when and where they will distribute their own creations and have full control over it.

Nexus no longer has this trust, they made a 180 in secret and even removed the ability for us to delete 3 days prior even telling us, they have been planning this for 2 years...

Always look at the actions, they speak louder than words, why would decent authors even upload on a website that takes control of their own creations they worked years on, for all we know Nexus will just make up new rules and do something like this in the future again, perhaps even worse, and then force it on everyone once more with an ultimatum of "surrender or leave" instead of giving decent options to choose from, or maybe they won't even give an ultimatum next time at all...

Trust is one of the most important things in the world, its one of the founding blocks that made Nexus great, we could always rely on them to do the right thing...good old days...

Well, with the recent changes, once the deadline passes, Nexus can do pretty much whatever they want, shuffle their ToS however they want, and authors will have NO recourse, at all. Their mods are here, and here to stay, regardless of what Nexus does, or mod authors have to say. THAT is what REALLY bothers me.

It does feel like another shoe is about to drop.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how is that any different than what mod list authors have been doing since mods became a thing?

Because Nexus isn't interested in building a system that's the same as or worse than what already exists.

Yeah, by depriving mod authors control of their own work.

Can't say I think much of that particular decision. (in case that hasn't already become patently obvious. :smile: )

They are not being deprived they can delete their mods, and not host it here :huh:

Yet if I look at mod "new section" , looks like constant influx of new mods still so seems non issue.

Edited by TexMex477

Because a "mod collection" might be built for a very specific version of that mod with patch files and maybe even a very specific mod to create a whole new experience to go along with the "mod collection" patching multiple mods together for example.

Now imagine the mod author of just one of those 100 mods in the collection modifies or deletes the file off the website.

All the patches and mods that might have been made for that collection would be broken.

100+ mods changing constantly (we are not just talking skyrim /f4 here) with thousands of users with broken save games.

When I can't decide if I want to be part of a list nor which version of my mod a specific list uses, then i don't care about this Kind of problems. The Curators are responsible for the functionality of their lists. Not anyone else.

And how is that any different than what mod list authors have been doing since mods became a thing?

Because Nexus isn't interested in building a system that's the same as or worse than what already exists.

Yeah, by depriving mod authors control of their own work.

Can't say I think much of that particular decision. (in case that hasn't already become patently obvious. :smile: )

They are not being deprived they can delete their mods, and not host it here :huh:

Yet if I look at mod "new section" , looks like constant influx of new mods still so seems non issue.

You and I obviously have different perspectives on this issue, and as you don't appear to have any mods uploaded here, you will have to pardon me if I don't give your opinions much weight.

Tell ya what, let me borrow your car, you make sure it is well maintained, and I will just use it. Of course, I won't give it back when you ask..... Does that seem equitable to you?

Because a "mod collection" might be built for a very specific version of that mod with patch files and maybe even a very specific mod to create a whole new experience to go along with the "mod collection" patching multiple mods together for example.

Now imagine the mod author of just one of those 100 mods in the collection modifies or deletes the file off the website.

All the patches and mods that might have been made for that collection would be broken.

100+ mods changing constantly (we are not just talking skyrim /f4 here) with thousands of users with broken save games.

When I can't decide if I want to be part of a list nor which version of my mod a specific list uses, then i don't care about this Kind of problems. The Curators are responsible for the functionality of their lists. Not anyone else.

Well you can prevent your mod from being part of "mod collection" by not hosting it here?

So...? What is the problem?

You can always go host it on steam and be part of their list.

The Curators are responsible for the functionality of their lists. Not anyone else.

And this appears to be the point where you have diverged from the direction the Nexus is taking. Since it appears to be an irreconcilable difference, you need to decide whether you want to continue your relationship with the Nexus.

Tell ya what, let me borrow your car, you make sure it is well maintained, and I will just use it. Of course, I won't give it back when you ask..... Does that seem equitable to you?

As soon as I figure out how to make a copy of my car, you can have the copy and I'll keep the original. Deal?

Guest deleted34304850

indeed it does need to work for ALL of them - it is you, that harps back to skrim in every single post.

the game is irrelevant to my question though. if a list is missing a piece - it should make no difference because as we have been told "its just a list".

however, that is simply not the case, and i'd like to know why.

the answer score to that very simple question remains 0.

No it isn't. You just refuse to acknowledge the answers you're given.

There are multiple parts to a Collection. The list, the installation instructions, the conflict resolution rules, any conflict resolution patches that may be included, possibly more.

Just as with any other list you might find on a website, the list part is just a series of links to the file download pages. That is the part that they are saying justifies the "no opt-out" rule. You can't opt out of any other list, so you can't opt out of this one. That is simply to make sure that Nexus Collections isn't immediately less useful than other types of lists like Wabbajack.

The installation instructions probably don't matter in terms of deletions. You can't install what you can't download.

But other aspects do matter in terms of file deletions. For one, as mentioned above, their most popular games have file dependencies. Removing one file results in others not functioning. And this includes custom conflict resolution patches made for the Collection.

The conflict resolution rules do matter when it comes to deletions since not having all the files would break the CR rules for Collection.

So that's the answer. Two different rules for different parts of the Collection because the Collection consists of more than one thing.

You can continue to claim you haven't been given an answer, but you're just lying about that.

you seem to know a lot (not really) about something that has only been spoken of in the word salad posts from the admins. everything you've put up in that response is irrelevant hyperbole and misses my point by a distance. not the first time, but then i don't ever play your game and never serve your agenda.

read my question very carefully. its a very simple question that requires a very simple answer.

i am one of the few people in this thread and indeed all the others, that hasn't told a single lie or peddled a fallacy as fact.

you, on the other hand cannot make that assertion.

Nah. You're just being pedantic and trying to claim that the statement "it's just a list" is an absolute statement that completely describes every aspect of the Collection system. Even though the information we've been given makes it clear that it is, in fact, more than just a list and that statement was in respect to a single question about the opt-out issue.