Trying to understand

MajorCyco

I would expect users that install a collection, and then go on to install another mod, ANY other mod.... and it ends up breaking their game, it is immediately going to be the author of the last mod installed getting the third degree. Of course, this isn't going to be much different than how things are now. :D

Which is a thing I never understood to beginn with. My strategy would usually be, not necessarily in that order:

1. pinpoint crash/bug/error/whatever with given tools (xEdit for example), and/or .dll with crash report support

2. go to Nexus find patch or fix if available, which actually has a 90-95% success chance for both, SSE and FO4

3. if no patch/fix available, fix it myself with xEdit or CK

4. if I can't fix, blame Todd, and apply subtle amount of violation to keyboard

5. browse the comments on said mod

6. make a comment on said mod, asking if it is a known bug

7. if nothing applies, de-install for good, or prevent doing the thing causing the issue

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would expect users that install a collection, and then go on to install another mod, ANY other mod.... and it ends up breaking their game, it is immediately going to be the author of the last mod installed getting the third degree. Of course, this isn't going to be much different than how things are now. :D

Which is a thing I never understood to beginn with. My strategy would usually be, not necessarily in that order:

1. pinpoint crash/bug/error/whatever with given tools (xEdit for example), and/or .dll with crash report support

2. go to Nexus find patch or fix if available, which actually has a 90-95% success chance for both, SSE and FO4

4. if I can't blame my keyboard and apply subtle amount of violation

7. if nothing applies, de-install for good

The difference being: You have a clue. :) Collections are aimed at folks that don't. They don't wanna spend the time to mod their game, they want the 'easy' way, so, I really don't seem them spending the time to learn the tools to figger out how they just borked their game.

4. if I can't blame my keyboard and apply subtle amount of violation

7. if nothing applies, de-install for good

The difference being: You have a clue. :smile: Collections are aimed at folks that don't. They don't wanna spend the time to mod their game, they want the 'easy' way, so, I really don't seem them spending the time to learn the tools to figger out how they just borked their game.

Well, then any of the Curators should just post the list, I've just posted. I feel a little self-responsibility is a good thing to ask from mod users, no?

The idea is, the collection author will put together a mod list that plays nice together, including conflict resolution 'stuff'. Trouble is, just because it plays nice on one machine, does NOT imply it will play nice on EVERY machine. Also no different than the situation we have now. For the most part, a single mod that works for one player, should work for every player. (assuming they have the hardware to run it.) It's when you have more than one mod that things start getting interesting.

Here's a scenario that's DEFINITELY going to happen, I just wonder who will get the brunt of it, the Mod Author, or the Mid list maker?

Somebody is going to install a mod list, and they're going to assume, that "since all the mods on the mod list work together, then surely I can install some more mods that I've been interested in because those will all work together as well"

"UR MOD (OR MODLIST) BROKE MAH GAME!!"

... No. Simply publishing something does not cede copyright to the publisher, only license to distribute. ...

Hi Pasquale1223, and thank you for your reply.

ScribD might be an example, of a web host as a distributor. ScribD

audio books are here today, gone tomorrow, back again later, as

authors place their works on ScribD, later remove, later put em back

again. I ran into one case where an author ordered his work removed

from iphone, but left it available on website. ScribD, as far as I have

known, gives the authors the final word.

As far as I can tell, ScribD and similar services, serve authors/publishers,.

On the other hand,

it appears that mod developers will become partially subservient to Nexus.

Correct me as needed.

It would seem that a new Terms of Service that Nexus will require mod

developers to follow, is or will cause mod developers to waive their

right to remove their works from this website. I fail to understand any

benefit to anyone. Maybe there's some perceived benefit to Nexus, I dunno.

The idea is, the collection author will put together a mod list that plays nice together, including conflict resolution 'stuff'. Trouble is, just because it plays nice on one machine, does NOT imply it will play nice on EVERY machine. Also no different than the situation we have now. For the most part, a single mod that works for one player, should work for every player. (assuming they have the hardware to run it.) It's when you have more than one mod that things start getting interesting.

Here's a scenario that's DEFINITELY going to happen, I just wonder who will get the brunt of it, the Mod Author, or the Mid list maker?

Somebody is going to install a mod list, and they're going to assume, that "since all the mods on the mod list work together, then surely I can install some more mods that I've been interested in because those will all work together as well"

Exactly. :) Not any different from what already happens today.

it appears that mod developers will become partially subservient to Nexus.

Correct me as needed.

It would seem that a new Terms of Service that Nexus will require mod

developers to follow, is or will cause mod developers to waive their

right to remove their works from this website. I fail to understand any

benefit to anyone. Maybe there's some perceived benefit to Nexus, I dunno.

Have you read the announcement? It's really long, but contains a lot of info.

They apparently have some significant database issues, and their current course is supposed to help them resolve those as well as support collections.

For my part - yeah, it happens when a site experiences explosive growth that it can be difficult to maintain over time. It sounds to me like they have some serious design flaws, and they really should address all of that outside of this new collections stuff.

As for TOS - there are some significant questions around whether they constitute a valid contract. And any contract that includes illegal terms cannot be enforced.

Found this interesting tidbit on a legal website:

If the Terms of Service agreement includes a unilateral provision which states the company can change the agreement without notifying the customers, the agreement is entirely unenforceable

Interesting, eh?

Found this interesting tidbit on a legal website:

If the Terms of Service agreement includes a unilateral provision which states the company can change the agreement without notifying the customers, the agreement is entirely unenforceable

Interesting, eh?

When Google or Microsoft changes THEIR ToS, you get an "In-Your-Face" notification about it.

here it's more like:

”But Mr. Dent, the plans have been available in the local planning office for the last nine month.”

”Oh yes, well as soon as I heard I went straight round to see them, yesterday afternoon. You hadn’t exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them had you? I mean like actually telling anybody or anything.”

”But the plans were on display . . . ”

”On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”

”That’s the display department.”

”With a flashlight.”

”Ah, well the lights had probably gone.”

”So had the stairs.”

”But look, you found the notice didn’t you?”

”Yes,” said Arthur, ”yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying Beware of the Leopard.”

Isn't that what I already posted?