Trying to understand

MajorCyco

Ok, so YOU feel that way, and that is perfectly fine. Apparently, there is a selection of folks that don't feel the same. Imagine that, we don't all agree. Amazing.

So, because YOU don't have a problem with it, you can't understand why others might? You feel free to hand over whatever you make to nexus. It would appear that others just don't want to.

I understand that, which is why those who disagree have the option to just use a different platform to distribute their mods, or if they feel the need to ... just keep them for themselves. The issue here is people who disagree with Nexus don't seem to want to make a decision. No one here is telling you are not allowed to disagree. What is being said is that you have to make a choice at some point.

If you are only staying here because you think maybe if you hold out long enough or complain long enough ... maybe they will retract their decision ... then you are the ones who need to convince them they should do that. What you all are doing isn't in the least bit convincing though. It's just a back and forth between those who agree with one another without any offering any solutions. It's more or less just "I don't like it, don't do it". And anytime an admin goes into an explanation, no one seems to actually respond to it in a way that they can do anything with. And rather than coming up with solutions to the problems they bring up, many of you just ignore it ... some throw insults, threaten them, say they are lying. It's just a bunch of people pointing fingers without any conversation actually happening even when the other side tries.

Multiple options have been presented. Staff has flat out told us they aren't going to change their minds on this. These threads are essentially for folks to blow off steam.

Sure, a lot of folks aren't happy about the change, but, the alternative is to nuke ALL of their mods here. Sure, they could re-upload the ones that would like to remain here, but, there goes their download count, endorsements, comments, etc. For some, that is significant. Nexus gave the ultimatum as their 'solution' to the problem. Some choice, eh?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so YOU feel that way, and that is perfectly fine. Apparently, there is a selection of folks that don't feel the same. Imagine that, we don't all agree. Amazing.

So, because YOU don't have a problem with it, you can't understand why others might? You feel free to hand over whatever you make to nexus. It would appear that others just don't want to.

I understand that, which is why those who disagree have the option to just use a different platform to distribute their mods, or if they feel the need to ... just keep them for themselves. The issue here is people who disagree with Nexus don't seem to want to make a decision. No one here is telling you are not allowed to disagree. What is being said is that you have to make a choice at some point.

If you are only staying here because you think maybe if you hold out long enough or complain long enough ... maybe they will retract their decision ... then you are the ones who need to convince them they should do that. What you all are doing isn't in the least bit convincing though. It's just a back and forth between those who agree with one another without any offering any solutions. It's more or less just "I don't like it, don't do it". And anytime an admin goes into an explanation, no one seems to actually respond to it in a way that they can do anything with. And rather than coming up with solutions to the problems they bring up, many of you just ignore it ... some throw insults, threaten them, say they are lying. It's just a bunch of people pointing fingers without any conversation actually happening even when the other side tries.

There are two things you fail to comprehend.

First, it is us authors that built Nexus Mods. Not Robin Scott. Without mod authors, Robin is just a snotty nosed teenager with a dream. But we trusted him and his word that we would always have complete control over our mods. It is only lately that we found out he lied.

Second, it is authors that have the gold. We have the power to turn Nexus Mods into a wasteland, leaving Robin with just the mods he has appropriated from deceased authors. The only question is whether we authors have enough fortitude to actually implement a scorched earth policy.

First, it is us authors that built Nexus Mods. Not Robin Scott. Without mod authors, Robin is just a snotty nosed teenager with a dream. But we trusted him and his word that we would always have complete control over our mods. It is only lately that we found out he lied.

Second, it is authors that have the gold. We have the power to turn Nexus Mods into a wasteland, leaving Robin with just the mods he has appropriated from deceased authors. The only question is whether we authors have enough fortitude to actually implement a scorched earth policy.

Much as I would LOVE to see that, I really don't see it happening. Some authors have way too much invested in having their mods here, and are unlikely in the extreme to pull them. Robin likely knew this when he decided that anything uploaded here should belong to him.

And that is precisely why I don't really expect anything to change. Nexus can do whatever they want, but, since mod authors aren't presenting a united front, they can get away with it.

Edited by HeyYou

Multiple options have been presented. Staff has flat out told us they aren't going to change their minds on this. These threads are essentially for folks to blow off steam.

Sure, a lot of folks aren't happy about the change, but, the alternative is to nuke ALL of their mods here. Sure, they could re-upload the ones that would like to remain here, but, there goes their download count, endorsements, comments, etc. For some, that is significant. Nexus gave the ultimatum as their 'solution' to the problem. Some choice, eh?

Maybe I am missing these options you are talking about cause what I have seen presented is just things people want them to do of which they already said they are not going to. So it's up to you all, to come up with something maybe they didn't think about. Rather than keep giving the same options of which they have already told you why they feel it wouldn't work. For example, many keep asking for an opt out and they have literally gone over why they are not going to do that. Now it's up to you to refute their point, or come up with a different solution. That's just typically how discussions work. If you feel they are wrong, then tell them how they are wrong (keeping in mind it needs an actual explanation and not just say "you are wrong" or "You don't know what you are talking about" or "You are a troll" etc.)

Something to really remember is any platform can change. This is the downside to using a platform that you do not own as it typically means you don't have much control over it outside if just giving your opinion. And changes occur for any number of reasons, some of which there will typically always be disagreement over. And sometimes those changes end up not being as big of a deal and are soon just forgotten about. Where as some changes, some people just can't accept and just end up leaving even if it isn't necessarily what they wanted. It's pretty much impossible to do anything that everyone is just going to accept and agree with. There was always going to be push back on the idea of collections because this community has been very vocal in that area, especially some mod authors who just despise the idea. And of course there was always going to be push back on the whole archiving mods thing as well.

I just don't know what everyone here is expecting. Outside of airing some grievances, what is the point? Should those who are unsure be looking into what they may do next? Like if it was me and disagreed with this decision, I wouldn't be here yapping, I would be looking at how to deal with it. Maybe even creating my own platform for my mods. Afterall, if it's popular enough I don't think many are going to care where they need to get it from, and typically the community will follow you wherever you decide to go.

Download count is honestly just a number, same with upvotes, or likes. I would argue it's actually much healthier learning to ignore that, so if anything having it reset may even be good to try and separate yourself of such a stresses. If you love what you do, then none of that should really matter at the end of the day ... right?

I imagine in many cases, some authors may even come back after a period of time. If things continue on, and the change isn't as world ending as it seems ... maybe some can just learn to live with it and set aside that little bit of control. The thing is ... I don't have the answers. I can only give my own view and opinions on the matter.

This isn't based on reality. I don't think you realize how difficult it is to run a site as large as Nexus Mods. There is a lot of work that gets put into it, way more work than most mods on this site. And it's not even just the site that they have put work into, but mod managers as well. They even created a community that is probably more willing to throw some money at mod developers than most communities out there. They even created a point system to try and give back. It's not something they ever had to do, but they did. You are not going to find that pretty much anywhere else.

And if you think it's strictly the mod authors that built this site. Then go ahead, build a competing site. No one is stopping you from doing so.

Now as for whether or not you can scorch it all. Sorry, but that would require way more mod authors being on your side. It isn't about "fortitude" it's about a difference of opinion.

Posting this on an account not associated with my mods, which I'm pretty sure I've finally got all of down.

No guts, no glory.

This isn't based on reality. I don't think you realize how difficult it is to run a site as large as Nexus Mods. There is a lot of work that gets put into it, way more work than most mods on this site. And it's not even just the site that they have put work into, but mod managers as well. They even created a community that is probably more willing to throw some money at mod developers than most communities out there. They even created a point system to try and give back. It's not something they ever had to do, but they did. You are not going to find that pretty much anywhere else.

And if you think it's strictly the mod authors that built this site. Then go ahead, build a competing site. No one is stopping you from doing so.

Now as for whether or not you can scorch it all. Sorry, but that would require way more mod authors being on your side. It isn't about "fortitude" it's about a difference of opinion.

No one is discounting the effort required to keep this site going, however, without mod authors, it wouldn't be here. At all. There would be no reason for it.

No one is discounting the effort required to keep this site going, however, without mod authors, it wouldn't be here. At all. There would be no reason for it.

Ya, but the same can be true if you remove any factor. Without users, mod authors wouldn't upload it as there would be no point and they certainly wouldn't get any recognition, donations, or anything really. Without some site like this, the mod authors wouldn't have a place to upload it too, or they may not get the traffic that comes from a site like this.

Functionally none of it can really work as well as it does missing any piece.