Trying to understand

MajorCyco

I do not mod but am a premium user. My concern under the proposed collections scenario that not only do Modders lose control of their intellectual property; but the Collections itself are limited only to Vortex users. Although Vortex is a fine product, I only use it when there isn't a dedicated mod manager, al la. MO2 to handle load list. Why are the Collections not made available to the other mod managers? It seems that Nexus is trying to build a complete enclosed ecosystem that not only freezes out the Modders from control of their content, but also forces Collection users to use Vortex as their primary platform.

The reality is their explanations for locking down the mods in perpetuity ring hollow, if Modders themselves can maintain their mods up-to-date with various changes both in game itself and in relation to other mods, why can't the curators do the same with a simple collection list? It is obvious to me that Nexus has an evolving agenda and this whole Collection policy is just the start to something much larger. Dare I suggest the next stage would be to make the entire site collection based and then to monetarize the entire endeavor?

this is an important point and a sign how things will develop in the future on nexus. this new vision is not about a happy community, everybody trusting each other and modders doing their work just for their own pleasure and to be happy to be able to share it. no, this time ends in this moment or has already ended. as a humble mod user and modder i was just so naive to believe that nexusmods would not question this sucessfull model and partnership over more than a decade, a win win model for all involved parties, especially the mod users.

developing and introducing new features is one thing and preserving a culture and trust and knowing what this community is founded on another. nexusmods seems to miserably fail the first time to combine those two very important parts. they did much better in the past. so why this fail now (developed mostly hidden in the last 2 years) and why this hardliner behaviour now ?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be curious why it's not so easy.

Look @ my profile. I think that should explain it :wink:

You mean...

the original mod authors do not permit an upload on other platforms I cannot provide downloads anywhere else. This would violate the ToS of Nexus Mods and make myself liable to prosecution.

I'd say that you might wish to check if there are explicit permissions granted by the original authors instead of those Nexus checkboxes. Explicit permissions always take precedence.

You might also consider asking mod authors for a permission to host your derivative work outside of Nexusmods. In my experience, 99% of mod authors will grant you permission.

If axonis hadn't cut out the context for that statement you might have noticed that it wasn't about Nexus.

"Second, screw you and your "are you getting paid" bulls***. It's NOT ABOUT MONEY!"

It was a statement about my own motivations in response to the continuing pathetic accusations that anyone who disagrees must be getting paid to do so. An accusation so absurd that it is often used by Flat Earthers, probably the stupidest people on the planet.

For the record, when I'm referring to the Nexus' motivations, I say "It's not JUST about the money". Because they actually told us their motivations ages ago.

Hmmm, it seems I did inadvertently and erroneously recontextualise your statement and for that I apologise. I've edited my original post as I was a bit sharp with my response given you were referring to yourself, not NM. And I can't blame axonis as I should have read your post more carefully.

However, I still think you're a tad naive by saying that it's not just about the money. What else is it about? And by their 'motivations' are you referring to the noble goal of making modding your game as easy as possible.....?

Guest deleted34304850

the altruistic statement of "noble goal of making modding your game as easy as possible" is completely betrayed by the duplicity of the actions and the lies and disinformation around this whole thing. So while I'm sure that there is that belief, it is lost in the sea of avoidable s#*! they poured all over the community.

I'd be curious why it's not so easy.

Look @ my profile. I think that should explain it :wink:

You mean...

the original mod authors do not permit an upload on other platforms I cannot provide downloads anywhere else. This would violate the ToS of Nexus Mods and make myself liable to prosecution.

I'd say that you might wish to check if there are explicit permissions granted by the original authors instead of those Nexus checkboxes. Explicit permissions always take precedence.

You might also consider asking mod authors for a permission to host your derivative work outside of Nexusmods. In my experience, 99% of mod authors will grant you permission.

For some of the mods I have received the right to do with them whatever I want. But not for all. Many of the mod authors are gone and i can't contact them. Apart from that, I do not necessarily want to move to moddb or one of the other known pages, I don't like most of them. Most likely i would create my own webpage and host them there. But it feels like that' it's not worth the effort.

Guest deleted34304850

the discord channel for the Collective Modding community are trying to track down mod authors and their mods, and are offering a place to store them. you can find that discord channel here, it may be worth a look to see if they can help you?

https://discord.gg/yMcUfTTYpc

This thread sickens me. I've enjoyed Skyrim more because of mods. Now mod authors are claiming Art and Intellectual Property rights that likely do not exist. You might as well have released these to the public domain.

Art? When you get a wall at the DMA you let me know. IP? Mods are glorified mix tapes. Good luck selling that in court.

As far as Nexusmods goes, I suspect they are within their rights to make sure mods remain accessible. Twitter? Yeah, they own your tweets. Facebook? Yup, they own your posts. Do not expect Nexusmods to self-immolate to assuage your fragile egos.

This thread sickens me. I've enjoyed Skyrim more because of mods. Now mod authors are claiming Art and Intellectual Property rights that likely do not exist. You might as well have released these to the public domain.

Art? When you get a wall at the DMA you let me know. IP? Mods are glorified mix tapes. Good luck selling that in court.

As far as Nexusmods goes, I suspect they are within their rights to make sure mods remain accessible. Twitter? Yeah, they own your tweets. Facebook? Yup, they own your posts. Do not expect Nexusmods to self-immolate to assuage your fragile egos.

Even Bethesda flatly state mod authors own their work. Of course, Beth reserves the right to do whatever they want with anything you release.... But, that's Beth. Nexus is not Beth. And now, Nexus wants to own mod authors work..... Hhhmmmm.....