Trying to understand

MajorCyco

Guest deleted34304850

For anyone inclined to think that deleting mods from Nexus is the equivalent of taking them away from the entire community, that's monopolistic thinking. There are other places to host mods. There always has been. If those mods are still available on other hosts, nobody is taking anything away from anyone. You can clearly still download the mods, you just can't do it here, and this endless need to paint people who want to leave Nexus as the bad guy needs to stop. You do not support the community when you do this. You only support the antagonistic anti-author mentality that harms the community.

i think this observation is - as ever - right on the money.

i think I've only read of one mod that will be deleted by its author because he's simply had enough - and that's totally fine - sad, understandable, but totally fine. most other mods that i "lost" were easily found again on beth.net, moddb and a couple of discord sites where people set up temporary homes.

its the internet.

nothing is truly deleted.

it's just this place deciding to inhibit mod authors from deleting their stuff because their backend and their "solution" can't deal with file deletions. to me that smells of a badly designed product but hey what do i know.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arthmoor, on 16 Jul 2021 - 1:16 PM, said:snapback.png

For anyone inclined to think that deleting mods from Nexus is the equivalent of taking them away from the entire community, that's monopolistic thinking. There are other places to host mods. There always has been. If those mods are still available on other hosts, nobody is taking anything away from anyone. You can clearly still download the mods, you just can't do it here, and this endless need to paint people who want to leave Nexus as the bad guy needs to stop. You do not support the community when you do this. You only support the antagonistic anti-author mentality that harms the community.

"Allot of the mod makers host it on websites. many of them too. What we are complaining about is the people who are supposed to be giving us mod users and the mod makers a location to enjoy them without worrying about the going 'we own them now that you used us" You may be here a long time user poster or mod maker. but that post clearly shows your not on the side of the mod makers who are having rights taken from them and want to fight to control that right of the work they created.

For a mod maker I'm shocked your okay with Dark0ne literally going "we control them now on and you cant ever take them back" completely turning their back to mod maker rights and then lying about how its going to change and already archiving all files even after the request for them to be scrub from the system."

:psyduck: :D

probably a misquote he did, but I agree with Arthmoor, this anti-author mentality just because certain people think everything is for free, forever, and how dare a modder take down hes own mods, its helping nobody.

Be grateful for the mods you get for free, so should Nexus without taking away control and doing a 180 on one of their core tenets, which has always been to guarantee that modders control their own mods, nobody else.

I for one will never upload new mods on Nexus, but I will try my best to keep my current mod pages up and running, but only if certain files can be removed so I can retain all my rights over my own mods. We will see how that turns out on monday since some Staff finally told us they will have a conversation about this specific subject, perhaps we will get different options besides this ultimatum of "surrender or nuke". Lets hope, cause I don't wanne nuke, but if push comes to shove I'll have to, unless other options are put on the table so I can still give users the best experience possible while also keeping my own rights and control over my own creations.

Edited by Guest

Yeah, I posted this on the forums for some of my mods - when users asked about them missing from NexusMods.

"As you might have noticed I have decided to take NexusMods ultimatum and remove all of my mods from their hosting website. Personally I think collections will be a great thing for the modding community overall.

But I do not like how NexusMods is implementing them nor do I like their attitude and their wiliness of putting mod users and mod authors in battle with each other. They basically started a fire and then decided to pour gasoline on it.

I’m really hoping that after all the infighting is over things will clear and NexusMods will be much better for the community as a whole, but given their ultimatum deadline it is not something I can wait for resolution otherwise I would have done so.

I’m looking at alternative mod hosting sites. At the moment the most likely one will be modDB. Worse case I will self post on my website and post a link in this forum to it.

Please be patient while I make this transition.

I will make an update when it is publicly available again."

It's not even so much that people get bent out of shape that "everything should be free". It's people who push the "it's not on Nexus, so you're against modding" attitude that's crept in in the last few pages. There are numerous thriving modding communities out there who either don't have a presence here on Nexus, or whose presence is so minor it makes no difference. Yet it seems to be a widespread assumption that if you don't publish here, you hate users and the modding community in general. Which is absolutely false.

At least one such alternative site was here before Nexus existed, and with the way things are going, that site may well outlast Nexus.

One thing I've always told people who upload mods they should be doing is to have mirrors of their work. The more the better. You reach a wider audience that way. Yes, Nexus was included in that as one of those destinations. It's something I'm no longer recommending people do in light of decisions that have been made here which reveal Nexus to be an anti-author hosting site. I've had private discussions with several other sites, who are all fully aware of what's going on here thanks to the press blitz, who have categorically stated that their polices don't align with what Nexus is doing, and that they never would, because it would actively harm the interests of the mod authors who provide the content in the first place.

"Allot of the mod makers host it on websites. many of them too. What we are complaining about is the people who are supposed to be giving us mod users and the mod makers a location to enjoy them without worrying about the going 'we own them now that you used us" You may be here a long time user poster or mod maker. but that post clearly shows your not on the side of the mod makers who are having rights taken from them and want to fight to control that right of the work they created.

For a mod maker I'm shocked your okay with Dark0ne literally going "we control them now on and you cant ever take them back" completely turning their back to mod maker rights and then lying about how its going to change and already archiving all files even after the request for them to be scrub from the system."

I think you missed it too. :) Arthmoor is NOT pro-nexus, he is pro-author, and anti-nexus in that post. He has been one of the most vocal authors supporting authors rights for quite some time.

I think you missed it too. :smile: Arthmoor is NOT pro-nexus, he is pro-author, and anti-nexus in that post. He has been one of the most vocal authors supporting authors rights for quite some time.

Hahaa that was my response to them misunderstanding Arth. :D This thread is aptly named..... "Trying to understand" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:​

I think you missed it too. :smile: Arthmoor is NOT pro-nexus, he is pro-author, and anti-nexus in that post. He has been one of the most vocal authors supporting authors rights for quite some time.

Hahaa that was my response to them misunderstanding Arth. :D This thread is aptly named..... "Trying to understand" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:​

:D The quotes confused me. Yeah. That's it. :)

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

it's just this place deciding to inhibit mod authors from deleting their stuff because their backend and their "solution" can't deal with file deletions. to me that smells of a badly designed product but hey what do i know..

I am absolutely sure that their backend could handle any kind of solution. But any other solution would endanger the business model behind it. First and foremost, it is not about making modding accessible to a bigger audience, persistance on the market is the real deal. They want a big or the biggest piece of the cake. In order to achieve this, it's worth to bite the hand that feeds. Their announcement and all other explanations are nothing but excuses. Nexus has recognized that on a long term Bethesda, Microsoft and Steam could become a threat for them (or are already one). It is very likely that even more companies jump on the moving train and offer their own solutions for distributing mods. You can already watch that more and more game developers integrate mods directly through their own launchers into the game. Thus, central distribution systems, such as that of Nexus, are heavily endangered. We have to see it as what it is. They swim in the shark basin and running danger to be eaten. No more and no less. Does this justify their actions and behaviour? Of course not! Most likely you can equate it with a panic attack.The most annoying thing about it is that so many willingly believe the lies that are being spread. The division of the community is accepted benevolently.