Trying to understand

MajorCyco

Probably a misspelling and they meant "Sinitar Gaming"

Yeah, I didn't catch that one lol.

Yes, Sinitar Gaming is what I meant to type.

Edited by CrashRakashe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why, but I feel like putting my thoughts into this forum post on the upcoming change to the Nexus and the mood surrounding it.

First, I'm a mod user in full form. I've never made a mod, I've not endorsed many of the mods I've used in almost every setup (something I'm in the process of trying to fix, though some mods being gone makes it hard to get them all). I've only commented when I've had a problem with a mod I couldn't figure out myself, and I know I'm no expert at installing mods and having a proper load order, just fixed one in my Skyrim order just about an hour ago that was causing one mod to not function as it should when it comes to the options menu in the MCM. I am also a free user, so all of this comes from this mindset.

I'll start on my stance on the deletion of mods. I don't like the change, at least not how it was done. I believe most of the problem comes from two factors, at least based on what I've read catching up over the last like 4 days now.

1: Any site/company/person can talk about possibly changing something for years, that doesn't mean a thing. The first problem is the fact they made the change before making the announcement that they were making the change. The announcement should have come first. As it is it just feels like Nexus was being underhanded in trying to slide this change in unnoticed so that by the time it was found out, it would be too late for people to do anything about it. I don't care if it had been an event where mod authors were each given $100, any change or event that effects the site as a whole needs to be announced BEFORE the change in question comes, it's unbelievably unprofessional to make the change and only make the announcement when getting caught.

2: This one is my answer to the question "Why would an author upload something only to delete it?" The answer is simple, beyond the actual reasons of fixing/updating a mod, it has nothing to do with actual deletion. Many of the authors I've seen talk about this had no plans to delete any mods, what's important is the fact they CAN. Allowing mod authors the option to delete their mods is not only giving authors their basic creative rights, but also shows a level of trust from the site owner. By removing this option, especially trying to do it secretly, shows the trust is gone at the least bad level, with dubious possibilities being hinted at.

Second, I'd like to post my stance on the archiving of mods and surrounding ideals there.

I'm all for the archiving of mods as long as it is with the mod author's agreement. The only exception to this rule, and this is just me personally, is something like the Morrowind Modding History site, as many of the mods there were posted only on Planet Elder Scrolls. Many of the mods on that site were only there, and many of the authors of those mods seem to have vanished or just stopped modding, and that site went down, so an archive of the mods stored there I feel is OK, as long as the site holding the archive is 100% supportive of removing a mod at the author's request.

I also feel that mod authors are entitled to treat their mods how they see fit, as they created them. After all if the author didn't make the mod, the mod wouldn't exist. If the author decides to take the Cathedral option, then great! It contributes to that form of modding and can bring many benefits to that mod in the future that might not happen with the "old" model. However if an author wishes to keep full control over their mod themselves then I support that as well, it's THEIR creation, THEY chose to share it with me by posting it, and if they pull it for any reason, that sucks, I might try and ask for a copy from them if I can get in contact if it's one I've used before, but if not I'll accept the decision and move on. I'm not entitled or obligated to any mods.

The situation here on the Nexus is a sad one. Collections could very well be a benefit if implemented properly, but even with it, I won't see the benefit of it at all without paying, and I have no intentions of doing so, especially now with how this whole thing happened. For me personally the ire against Nexus Mods isn't really the change itself, but rather the HOW the change came about. Talking about it for 2 years means nothing without making an announcement that the talked about plans are being enacted, and that didn't happen until they got caught making the change. That's sneaky, dishonest and shows a lack of basic respect to the mod USER, not just the author. I fully understand and side with any author who packs up and leaves the Nexus because of this change. I've never been fond of the current site layout, but that's more cosmetic, this change changes some of the major mechanics of how this site works, and the people who contributed the most to make this site grow (after all, what's a mod hosting site without mods?) were not informed of the change until after it had begun. I hope at the VERY least, with the change to the form to allow some files to be deleted, that Nexus delays the deadline to allow more authors the chance to really decide which mods (if any) to remove.

As a free user, I think this new change brings nothing good with it entirely because of how it was introduced, and stand by the mod authors and whatever choices each one makes, as it is because of THEM that this content exists at all.

Edit: Yes, I'm aware that some statements are repeated, this was intentional.

Edited by revenile

What is different is that Collections required a TOS change from Nexus. And that's a problem for a lot of mod authors.

ONE.LAST.TIME.

It's a "Problem for Mod Authors" because we're unhappy that the ToS and Policies about File Deletion were changed IN SECRET and it was announced to Mod Authors 3 days to a WEEK AFTER THEY CHANGED THE ToS and POLICIES ABOUT FILE DELETION.

This really isn't that hard to understand, and has been explained to you and others at least a hundred times

Sinitar Gaming is the author of some popular. modding guides that some consider to be too promiscuous. I personally don't share the view, having discussed with the guy: he was ready to accept and correct an error about my mod.

Sinitar Gaming is the author of some popular. modding guides that some consider to be too promiscuous. I personally don't share the view, having discussed with the guy: he was ready to accept and correct an error about my mod.

Promiscuous.....hmmmm.

Axonis, what's on your mind, buddy....? :dance:

Sinitar is infamous for insisting that Skyrim LE is objectively superior to SE....

Promiscuous.....hmmmm.

Â

Axonis, what's on your mind, buddy....? :dance:

Â

Sinitar is infamous for insisting that Skyrim LE is objectively superior to SE....

âInsistingâ is a nice word to describe that. XD

You have got to be joking here. His modding Guide is objectively broken, and he also tried to steal a mod.

Jesus dude, if you're just going to troll don't make it so obvious next time. Learn some artistry next time.

One thing that I think everyone agrees with is that this was horribly handled in every possible way.

One of the bits of fallout from this, I suspect, is that Nexus is going to need to remove any overly broad terms from their TOS since few people will be willing to assume that they will only use them for the bare minimum anymore.

The part about "right to edit" for instance. I think they need to alter that to clarify the exact and specific ways they can edit files. The ones that have been brought up so far (that I know of) have been: repairing broken archive files that were damaged during upload or due to server problems; and removing PII to comply with a GDPR request.

It certainly seems like if those are the only two reasons why they would edit a file that they could state that in the TOS. That might help a little.

Or maybe not if they can just change the TOS later without giving another file removal option period.