Trying to understand

MajorCyco

Nexusmods cannot be compared to Bethesda. The latter created TES and a unique gaming modification ecosystem whereas the former is just a moderated file hosting service. Bethesda can charge anything they want for derivatives of their property whereas Nexusmods has 0 IP assets.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If versioning is required, why would you assume it won't exist. The system hasn't even been released yet, even in beta form.

I mean, first of all the Collection could simply list what version it was built on. It will always work on that version. If the game is one where people cannot control the version, then they will need to use a Collection that updates with the game version.

For other games, it will be possible to freeze your game version to match your preferred Collection.

Mainly because it's long overdue? Vortex is largely unmanageable because it has no functionality to distinguish which mods work on which game version. It willy happily report a mod update for a beta version of a game which I don't have installed (for example as it just did a few minutes ago installing an incompatible 1.6beta mod on my 1.5.10 install of bannerlord). This is a fundamental problem which should have been adressed already. It the necessity hasn't been recognized or commented on yet, there's no reason to assume that an intention to add (more) functionality that's dependent on version awareness to be useful, will include it.

If it was reasonable to expect inclusion of this functionality for collections, it would also be reasonable to expect that it would already exist and it obviously doesn't.

The fact that we don't have it in Vortex/Nexusmods already in more than enough ground for a reasonable expectation that it's not going to be in collections either, more so because no mention of any kind of versioning has been forthcoming. Good versioning is a prerequisite for a collections functionality to be of more than momentary use. The fact that there's no trace of it really doesn't inspire confidence.

If versioning is required, why would you assume it won't exist. The system hasn't even been released yet, even in beta form.

I mean, first of all the Collection could simply list what version it was built on. It will always work on that version. If the game is one where people cannot control the version, then they will need to use a Collection that updates with the game version.

For other games, it will be possible to freeze your game version to match your preferred Collection.

Mainly because it's long overdue? Vortex is largely unmanageable because it has no functionality to distinguish which mods work on which game version. It willy happily report a mod update for a beta version of a game which I don't have installed (for example as it just did a few minutes ago installing an incompatible 1.6beta mod on my 1.5.10 install of bannerlord). This is a fundamental problem which should have been adressed already. It the necessity hasn't been recognized or commented on yet, there's no reason to assume that an intention to add (more) functionality that's dependent on version awareness to be useful, will include it.

If it was reasonable to expect inclusion of this functionality for collections, it would also be reasonable to expect that it would already exist and it obviously doesn't.

The fact that we don't have it in Vortex/Nexusmods already in more than enough ground for a reasonable expectation that it's not going to be in collections either, more so because no mention of any kind of versioning has been forthcoming. Good versioning is a prerequisite for a collections functionality to be of more than momentary use. The fact that there's no trace of it really doesn't inspire confidence.

Vortex doesn't install updates, it informs you of them. Currently it is assumed that you will be aware if the game you are modding has version dependent mods, whether there are newer versions of the game available and what version of the game you are using. If YOU install a mod update without checking to see whether it is compatible that is YOUR mistake.

Collections, on the other hand, are meant for people who don't want to micro-manage their mods. That's why Collections won't be offering updates to individual mods, which could break the functioning of the Collection. That's part of why old files can't be deleted, because they need to available for the Collection versions they were originally added to.

@Ac3s

Exactly why I pulled my mods, mainly my eyemod. I use assets from another MA, who isn’t on nexus, and she does them all from scratch.

In The moment of the announcement I knew, uploading my other mod, intensive work of 10 month…just died. The mod is Using a lot of assets from two off nexus MAs. I was lucky I was able to get from everyone off Nexus permit. And some have open permits. Still, this was so crushing. I am disabled, and the last 10 months it was either making the mod or other activities. Two people were testing the mod as this all happened. Not to say how horrible I felt because, people were following the progress and were looking forward to download it. And now I am so exhausted I can’t even write the description. The credit part of it is really a lot. It’s really so disheartening.

Not to mention how much energy it was costing me to publish it somewhere else. Not everyone can „just“ do it. And nexus was a comfort for many who struggle with IRL stuff like depression, generally chronic illness, disability.

This whole things is sad.

I left Nexus a decade ago and took my mods with me. Now, I have come back to the same old excrement. Nothing seems to change here, but, I am trying to catch up. To that end, I have been reading this tread and others and I want to make sure I understand the new direction Nexus is taking and the anger being expressed by some authors.

- Authors are angry because Nexus (Robin) changed direction and claimed proprietary rights over the authors' Intellectual property.

- Authors are angry because they were not told about this change in direction until it was already in place and they had no way out.

- Authors are angry because they feel betrayed by Robin, who long preached "authors have complete control over their mods", and now he has aggressively reversed that position.

- Authors are angry because they do not want their mods to be part of Mod Packs, and resent being forced to participate.

Running through all of these is as hint of anger at the passive/aggressive manner Robin has taken in the announcement and implementation of this new direction. The proverbial "Tough, like it or lump it, my way or the highway" approach has put some folks off.

I am deliberately ignoring the inevitable authors and users who think that the anger is just because the authors who are angry are "spoiled, entitled babies who need fresh nappies". (I had to google "nappies".)

Does changing your OS language still corrupts the mod list on vortex? Because that was the reason I stopped using it. And how the head dev handled me reaching out to them in their discord to inform them, something like that happened. And they need to do some serious fixing.

I finished my 600 mods set up, handpatched, crash free, conflict free(work of a year). Switched to English to help someone English speaking troubleshoot something streaming related. Made a fallout 4 Set up on English OS. Then switched back to german some time later. All Skyrim mod folders were empty. Looked at my fallout 4 setup, all mod folders empty. So I lost 2 big set ups in seconds. Never happened with MO2. I keep my PC on English nowadays. It’s just easier. But that was a big no no for me regarding vortex.

I left Nexus a decade ago and took my mods with me. Now, I have come back to the same old excrement. Nothing seems to change here, but, I am trying to catch up. To that end, I have been reading this tread and others and I want to make sure I understand the new direction Nexus is taking and the anger being expressed by some authors.

- Authors are angry because Nexus (Robin) changed direction and claimed proprietary rights over the authors' Intellectual property.

- Authors are angry because they were not told about this change in direction until it was already in place and they had no way out.

- Authors are angry because they feel betrayed by Robin, who long preached "authors have complete control over their mods", and now he has aggressively reversed that position.

- Authors are angry because they do not want their mods to be part of Mod Packs, and resent being forced to participate.

Running through all of these is as hint of anger at the passive/aggressive manner Robin has taken in the announcement and implementation of this new direction. The proverbial "Tough, like it or lump it, my way or the highway" approach has put some folks off.

I am deliberately ignoring the inevitable authors and users who think that the anger is just because the authors who are angry are "spoiled, entitled babies who need fresh nappies". (I had to google "nappies".)

Correct!

If, as you say, nothing seems to change here, why do you need to catch up?

This thread exists precisely because of changes....