Trying to understand

MajorCyco

i'm amazed that people still think they'll get a voice here.

look at the actual state of this - you don't get a voice. you don't get s***. they get everything. you're an irrelevance, all you do is provide mods for them to serve. that's the start and end of the relationship.

when the deadline goes past, and some mod authors leave, what happens?

nothing.

all these pages of absolute crap. people thinking their thoughts matter. what a joke. you're all deluded.

Showler is the only one operating under the delusion that Nexus will work with mod authors on the new system. The rest of us are well aware that we don't get a voice in this.

I also believe that you are indeed correct. After the deadline, nothing will change. Nexus will proceed along their path, exactly as they have already defined. If you upload here, you are essentially handing ownership of your mod to Nexus. No one is going to take this to court, so, the ToS will stand. Nexus has all the power here. Mod Authors have no influence over any decisions here.

Of course, this means that the "mod author friendly site" claims, are all false. Nexus will become a mod author hostile site, but, folks will still upload here, simply because Nexus is the dominate mod site. Unless/until another site can provide some meaningful competition, that is going to remain the case.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Showler is the only one operating under the delusion that Nexus will work with mod authors on the new system. The rest of us are well aware that we don't get a voice in this.

I also believe that you are indeed correct. After the deadline, nothing will change. Nexus will proceed along their path, exactly as they have already defined. If you upload here, you are essentially handing ownership of your mod to Nexus.

It's not a delusion at all as we are literally working with mod authors on the new system as part of the internal testing going on right now (which is also referenced in the news post even). As we're making progress, we'll be adding more mod authors to the testing group and their input is and will be shaping the collections feature.

We do not claim ownership of any mods you upload to our site. Anything alluding to the contrary is completely false. Please stop making such claims or we'll have to moderate against it.

You guys: "Nexus will never take the advice of mod authors".

Nexus: changes "nuclear option" to allow for individual mod removals based on mod author advice.

You guys: "Okay, but starting now Nexus will never take the advice of mod authors."

We do not claim ownership of any mods you upload to our site. Anything alluding to the contrary is completely false. Please stop making such claims or we'll have to moderate against it.

Um... It would be most interesting to hear what You / Nexus Mods believe the definition of and rights of ownership are, would you be kind enough to elaborate? Also what exactly does your new TOS leave that the Mod Author has any control over once the file is uploaded to your site?
"By submitting content to our services, you are granting an infinite, non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license for Nexus Mods to store, distribute, copy or reproduce, edit, translate, reformat, publicly display, or perform the submitted content, at our discretion."
The TOS literally states anything anyone uploads to your site you are free to change in any way you want and then redistribute the newly changed item however you see fit, among many other things it allows for. So when you guys go editing/changing people's mods would distribute that as a Nexus made mod or credit the original author somehow WHILE pointing out that Nexus mucked with their mod?? Sure seems like you are taking ownership of any file being uploaded from now on.
Legit not trying to be a jerk and would love to understand the thought process. Maybe explaining to MA's what rights they will still retain after uploading instead of telling them what they wont have might help to put some concerns at ease?

I also believe that you are indeed correct. After the deadline, nothing will change. Nexus will proceed along their path, exactly as they have already defined. If you upload here, you are essentially handing ownership of your mod to Nexus.

It's not a delusion at all as we are literally working with mod authors on the new system as part of the internal testing going on right now (which is also referenced in the news post even). As we're making progress, we'll be adding more mod authors to the testing group and their input is and will be shaping the collections feature.

Taking a curated collection of mod authors and "interested third parties" to a back room and having them build your process after the decision to implement has already been made and steps taken on behalf of that implementation is hardly a public discussion. There is no way authors can change the decisions already made.

And the anger isn't even about mod packs anyway. Making this discussion about mod packs is disingenuous at best.

• Authors are angry because Nexus (Robin) changed direction and claimed proprietary rights over the authors' Intellectual property.
  • Authors are angry because they were not told about this change in direction until it was already in place and they had no way out.
  • Authors are angry because they feel betrayed by Robin, who long preached "authors have complete control over their mods", and now he has aggressively reversed that position.
  • Authors are angry because they do not want their mods to be part of Mod Packs, and resent being forced to participate.

Running through all of those is anger at the passive/aggressive, arbitrary and capricious manner Robin has taken in the announcement and implementation of this new direction. The proverbial "Tough, like it or lump it, my way or the highway" approach has put some folks off.

Propaganda, by any other name, is still propaganda.

Edit:

Establishing proprietary rights over another persons personnel property, when no such rights previously existed is sufficient to establish an assumption of ownership. Better check with your solicitor.

Edited by ScytheBearer

You guys: "Nexus will never take the advice of mod authors".

Nexus: changes "nuclear option" to allow for individual mod removals based on mod author advice.

You guys: "Okay, but starting now Nexus will never take the advice of mod authors."

^ Completely ignores all of the steps leading up to this scenario

âž We do not claim ownership of any mods you upload to our site. Anything alluding to the contrary is completely false. Please stop making such claims or we'll have to moderate against it.â

So just to clarify - if you donât claim ownership - if I delete my mod and it gets archived, I can then further on, !!!!without any reason given!!!, demand that nexus completely removes the mod. Means it wonât be in any archiving system, it wonât be able to get accessed over any way anymore.

If my stated comment above can get a clear answer, please.

And further more why, when this is still a possibility, if my mods can still be deleted in a more complex way, does Nexus then disable real time delete at all?

I would really like to have a clear statement to this.

If non real time delete, without any reason given, which is my right when I possess full ownership over my mods, is still a possibility, this would make disabling real time delete redundant.

So - just to get this clear, disabling real time delete is a mechanism to make it harder to delete a mod I made, which I am still having full ownership over. And I still have the right to demand a mod of mine, not ALL of them, no, one specific mod getting fully deleted, after 5th August.

i'm amazed that people still think they'll get a voice here.

look at the actual state of this - you don't get a voice. you don't get s***. they get everything. you're an irrelevance, all you do is provide mods for them to serve. that's the start and end of the relationship.

when the deadline goes past, and some mod authors leave, what happens?

nothing.

all these pages of absolute crap. people thinking their thoughts matter. what a joke. you're all deluded.

most probably you are right. i do nout need a voice. it is just important that people have a chance to know what happend here - not permanently buried by posts of one or two always the same self-enamored smooth-talkers or rabbits with a leading b

if nothing happens after the 5th of august this would mean complete stagnation in best case - right ?

but nobody knows. we will see...

currently nexusmods definitely does not fullfill my personal requirements with that new tos and the lack of basic mod handling options that i would upload any new content. and my impression is that i'm not the only one. i'm sure it doesn't matter but if i decide to nuke my mods in the end - the intelligent people know exactly why. trust, peace, fairness and empathy is what counts - even for many, definitely not for all.