Vortex not working

sirhedley

So I took a few months off from Skyrim and Vortex to play Mass Effect Legendary and also to calm down from the frustration that Vortex has become. I am not sure what happened, but no matter who's tutorial I watch and followed to the letter, I could not get Vortex to work properly. FNIS would not work with it (I kept getting a warning about the path no matter what I did, and trust me the path was there.) so no animations. Also Vortex refuses to allow me to manually move anything. I follow the recommendation of the authors not Vortex. This was/is particularly frustrating since I never use to have any issue with Vortex. I had to redo everything since I had rebuilt my PC. Alas, all was for nothing as Vortex would not do what it is suppose to do and unfortunately my queries fell upon deaf ears even after multiple attempts to make contact. I am not sure what the issue is and after exhausting numerous problem solving avenues, I took a two month break. Today I tried again with a clean install of everything and of course it would not work. I could start the game but no animations, no ability to manually move items around to where they were suppose to be and endless incorrect warning that never were sorted out. So I uninstalled Vortex and unendorsed it. I am not being too harsh however, as MO2 is even worse than Vortex. It really is too bad that Skyrim requires Steam since Steam is the root of so many problems though nobody seems to want to admit that.

I have tried over ten tutorials from various authors and there is always the same problem with FNIS and Vortex. Too bad really since Vortex use to be so good which is why I switched to it in the first place. Hopefully for others these issues will get sorted out and they can enjoy this once magnificent mod manager.

Cheers,

NM. Not worth responding to except to say all I see here is a wall of text that reads like user error.

So I took a few months off from Skyrim and Vortex to play Mass Effect Legendary and also to calm down from the frustration that Vortex has become. I am not sure what happened, but no matter who's tutorial I watch and followed to the letter, I could not get Vortex to work properly. FNIS would not work with it (I kept getting a warning about the path no matter what I did, and trust me the path was there.) so no animations. Also Vortex refuses to allow me to manually move anything. I follow the recommendation of the authors not Vortex. This was/is particularly frustrating since I never use to have any issue with Vortex. I had to redo everything since I had rebuilt my PC. Alas, all was for nothing as Vortex would not do what it is suppose to do and unfortunately my queries fell upon deaf ears even after multiple attempts to make contact. I am not sure what the issue is and after exhausting numerous problem solving avenues, I took a two month break. Today I tried again with a clean install of everything and of course it would not work. I could start the game but no animations, no ability to manually move items around to where they were suppose to be and endless incorrect warning that never were sorted out. So I uninstalled Vortex and unendorsed it. I am not being too harsh however, as MO2 is even worse than Vortex. It really is too bad that Skyrim requires Steam since Steam is the root of so many problems though nobody seems to want to admit that.

I have tried over ten tutorials from various authors and there is always the same problem with FNIS and Vortex. Too bad really since Vortex use to be so good which is why I switched to it in the first place. Hopefully for others these issues will get sorted out and they can enjoy this once magnificent mod manager.

Cheers,

I'm not sure WHAT mod manager you were using before, but there was NEVER the ability to Manually Move Mods in the way that you expect, I suspect you're thinking of the old "Nexus Mod Manager" also known as NMM

Also, you complained about Vortex, then you complained about MO2, then you complained about Steam all being a problem for you, however, the common Denominator with the three things you complained about is YOU.

You're trying to use Vortex in a way it was never designed to, and honestly, after reading what you wrote, everything you described is pure User Error.

Vortex puts FNIS right where it should be, I should know, I installed FNIS with Vortex, and it put it right in

D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISForUsers.exe

Right where it was supposed to go.

In agreement with HTR, I too can say that I've never had a problem with Vortex and FNIS. Vortex has always placed FNIS exactly where it's supposed to go. In my case, that's "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISForUsers.exe." (And yes, I install all my games to "Program Files (x86)." I've done that for years without adverse effects.)

Guest deleted34304850

when you "made contact" where did you try to make contact?

if i look in Vortex support, there is a post from you citing Vortex "stealing" downloads, which is fixed by you specifying in your browser what program should be used to facilitate the download. This was answered (by me actually), and is clearly a user error. you can find that post here;https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/10010523-vortex-download/?hl=sirhedley&do=findComment&comment=94373418

Another post from you was to make everyone aware of a bug in vortex where a cyclic rule diagram was not showing - this was resolved by the vortex developers and i recall i posted in that thread asking you to "can you update to 1.4.12 and see if the issue is resolved?" - sadly you never responded to that thread.

So I fail to see where/how your posts fell on deaf ears?

Now, given your previous history, I have a hard time believing that you followed anything "to the letter". Put simply, the issues you mention above without any detail whatsoever have occurred previously and a simple search of the Vortex Support forum will give you if not answers, then at least guidelines to follow - but - you have to follow them.

No-one here can help you with your issues if you don't document your steps accurately so they can be repeated, or show error messages (FNIS is brilliant at telling you exactly what is wrong). All we'd do with the block of text above is guess.

So, back to you Sirhedley. There is a post in Vortex Support that is a sticky and has been up for a long time detailing what YOU have to do to get help. If you don't/won't follow that post then you're not helping anyone to help you. You can find that post here; https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7332636-how-to-post-request-support-for-vortex/

I hope this posts helps you, and in future, before you make false claims about not receiving help, remember this - all your posts are in the forums and you make yourself look just a little bit foolish if you make stuff up to suit an argument you're having with no-one except yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

when you "made contact" where did you try to make contact?

if i look in Vortex support, there is a post from you citing Vortex "stealing" downloads, which is fixed by you specifying in your browser what program should be used to facilitate the download. This was answered (by me actually), and is clearly a user error. you can find that post here;https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/10010523-vortex-download/?hl=sirhedley&do=findComment&comment=94373418

Another post from you was to make everyone aware of a bug in vortex where a cyclic rule diagram was not showing - this was resolved by the vortex developers and i recall i posted in that thread asking you to "can you update to 1.4.12 and see if the issue is resolved?" - sadly you never responded to that thread.

So I fail to see where/how your posts fell on deaf ears?

Now, given your previous history, I have a hard time believing that you followed anything "to the letter". Put simply, the issues you mention above without any detail whatsoever have occurred previously and a simple search of the Vortex Support forum will give you if not answers, then at least guidelines to follow - but - you have to follow them.

No-one here can help you with your issues if you don't document your steps accurately so they can be repeated, or show error messages (FNIS is brilliant at telling you exactly what is wrong). All we'd do with the block of text above is guess.

So, back to you Sirhedley. There is a post in Vortex Support that is a sticky and has been up for a long time detailing what YOU have to do to get help. If you don't/won't follow that post then you're not helping anyone to help you. You can find that post here; https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7332636-how-to-post-request-support-for-vortex/ MyBalanceNow

I hope this posts helps you, and in future, before you make false claims about not receiving help, remember this - all your posts are in the forums and you make yourself look just a little bit foolish if you make stuff up to suit an argument you're having with no-one except yourself.

Thanks for sharing such great information, I have same issue, Really appreciate for help.

Edited by reedth59