creativty, motivation, environment relevant for future modding ?

xrayy

It's amusing how the myth of "modding kept game alive" keeps going on and on when there's plenty of statistical evidence that in fact modding has a very small impact on the sales and player numbers of big games. I guess it goes hand in hand with the self important air a small subset of beth modders keep pushing.

What are you ON? Modding HAS kept several games alive for me, primarily as a mod user. I find vanilla Skyrim and vanilla Fallout 4 to be absolutely ABYSMAL experiences, and would never have sunk as many hours as I have into either of these games if not for their dedicated modding communities.

Speak for yourself if you want, but there are plenty of mod USERS out there for whom the experiences of these games would never have been the same without mod support.

Edited to add: Including some of YOUR awesome mods, by the way. So GG for souring that part of it by pissing all over the folks who raise genuine concerns about the direction this site seems to be going in in these forums.

Edited 2: I also know plenty of folks who bought and played console versions and then later on re-bought the same game on PC simply because they wanted to mod it.

Yea, that's confirmation bias. I tell you this as someone who put hundreds of hours into making mods - we really don't matter much outside our little bubble here, and definitely don't really matter for the company making games.

Well, that's depressing. For the record, whatever work mod authors put into their mods is something that I, as a user, appreciate. A lot. It makes my experience playing these games a lot better.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not feeling. It's statistics. When Bethesda was starting Bethesda.net to allow for mods on consoles they said that less than 8% of people who played their games ever used a mod. Even with mods on consoles, it would be a miracle if it made it to 20%.

Bethesda games are popular because they are good games. People who feel the need to alter them are very much in the minority and always have been.

It's not feeling. It's statistics. When Bethesda was starting Bethesda.net to allow for mods on consoles they said that less than 8% of people who played their games ever used a mod. Even with mods on consoles, it would be a miracle if it made it to 20%.

Bethesda games are popular because they are good games. People who feel the need to alter them are very much in the minority and always have been.

This is a stupid argument. I don't care about the people who don't mod their games? Why the hell should I? They ain't up here, are they? Why is this even relevant?

We're talking about a modding site. Who CARES what gamers who don't mod their games think?

This is a stupid argument. I don't care about the people who don't mod their games? Why the hell should I? They ain't up here, are they? Why is this even relevant?

We're talking about a modding site. Who CARES what gamers who don't mod their games think?

Because dumb people keep claiming that modding is the reason for Bethesda's success. Those people are dumb. The person at the top of this quote chain is one such person.

the statistics about non-modders are not relevant here. we talk about this topic as users of mods or modders. so please let not discuss other statistics and if people are dumb or not. i doubt they are! and it is surely no coincidence that bethesada still supports users with modding friendly tools.

look at this if you talk about relevance of modding. it shows also what is important for modding and i can not see that the most important problems are solved especially with the new mod collections approach.

i don't think that a lack of mod authors mod editing options will solve it as nexusmods thinks.

there is no doubt about the relevance and the influence of modding and the long term success of games who support modding or just even modded without any support.

Because dumb people keep claiming that modding is the reason for Bethesda's success. Those people are dumb. The person at the top of this quote chain is one such person.

Right, because resorting to childish insults, just a couple of posts into a civil argument is always a sign of overhelming intelligence.........

I myself am one of those "dumb" people that actually waited with buying Fallout 4 until; 1) the CK was released, and 2) there were already some mods out there that I was interested in. I could not be bothered to buy it otherwise as neither the vanilla stories of F3, Oblivion nor Skyrim were any good. That doesn't mean that I believe Bethesda would have gone bankrupt without me, or others thinking like my, buying their game.

I guess we will see how much Bethesda/Microsoft think that modding their games boosts their sales rates up way past beyond the life-expectancy of any other good game out there, when they release their next game. With or without modding support, or maybe with a closed modding system exclusive to their Creation Club. Prey, which is arguably an equally good game (or even better) has yet to see such a long livespan as the TES and Fallout-series games.

When you disregard simple data people have the right to call you out for being a smoothbrain.

Now to get back on track. As far as I'm concerned mods happen due to 2 reasons: either a person finds a need (something missing or broken) and has the ambition to make it happen, or someone has an idea they find really good and has the ambition and drive to see said idea to completion. All else are minuscule factors compared to these two.

When you disregard simple data people have the right to call you out for being a smoothbrain.

Now to get back on track. As far as I'm concerned mods happen due to 2 reasons: either a person finds a need (something missing or broken) and has the ambition to make it happen, or someone has an idea they find really good and has the ambition and drive to see said idea to completion. All else are minuscule factors compared to these two.

the mentioned reasons for modding are correct but not the only ones. i added two links in my previous post not just for fun... modding definitely is an influencing factor. i do not need a stastic for that. there is empirical evidence for that the longer a game is supported by significant modding. if a game is a commercial or statistical success is not a question of modding. but the older a mod supported game gets the higher the influence of modding to remain as successful or even as a better experience as the vanilla game is. while not speaking about mods with game character like nehrim, enderal or the dark mod.

and the only reason to buy a game 2x and the second time for pc is to be able to mod it and to see better appearance. you do not find this effect in any statistic.

apart from that I'm also one of the people who wait to buy a game before a lapse of one year. fo4 and cyberpunk are the best examples why this always is a good decision...

just some words to modding motivation and creativity:

i uploaded my mods just to share my experience with pimping up the game and to share my experiences with others. another motivation for me is to support users with information how to optimize the gaming experience and to help them with problems during game play due to my experience and technical background related to bethesda games and related limitations.

others do it because they like to add new models or textures or to fix bugs or the enhance the experience with scripts or even to combine it all together.

bethesda supports modding with their tools becuase it extends the lifetime of their games which is a strategic advantage because as one of the side effects people are more patient waiting for the release of their next game even if it lasts as long as tes VI or starfield.