Need for an open source patch for Fallout 4

mkr1977

Everyone knows about the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch and its counterpart for Skyrim. With the controversy about mod collections, the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch came close to being pulled from Nexus and the only reason that didn't happen was because of an agreement that the mod author had with stakeholders that had made contributions to the patch.

Because this patch is the starting point for many builds, it is important that there be an open source, copyleft, unofficial patch for Fallout 4. That mitigates the effects of a tantrum by any mod author pulling a mod with many downstream dependencies from the site. Copyleft means that any additional code made by other people can be integrated into the original, if it is good work.

The Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch has been under development for years, but it is not just the work of one man. How can we get an open source alternative up and running?

The Unofficial Patch is available more places than just Nexus. In fact this isn't even the primary site for it.

A lot of the removed mods can be found other places. Mod authors either uploaded them to multiple sites, or they moved their work. The hard part is figuring out where they moved it to.

Everyone knows about the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch and its counterpart for Skyrim. With the controversy about mod collections, the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch came close to being pulled from Nexus and the only reason that didn't happen was because of an agreement that the mod author had with stakeholders that had made contributions to the patch.

Because this patch is the starting point for many builds, it is important that there be an open source, copyleft, unofficial patch for Fallout 4. That mitigates the effects of a tantrum by any mod author pulling a mod with many downstream dependencies from the site. Copyleft means that any additional code made by other people can be integrated into the original, if it is good work.

The Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch has been under development for years, but it is not just the work of one man. How can we get an open source alternative up and running?

It isn't the work of just one man. Correct, and because of that, it was decided that it would stay here. Along with a few others of his mods. I don't think there is any real danger of the unofficial patches being pulled from Nexus. Of course, at this point, there is zero danger of that, simply because.... they Can't.

Guest deleted34304850

the entitlement in this post is off the scale.

if it bothers you that much why don't you make your own? i mean, all you need to do is what the UFO4P team have done - decompiled the scripts, read them, understood them, spotted errors and fixed them. the tools to do this are out there and they're all open source, so you're halfway there - all you need to do is get cracking.

the entitlement in this post is off the scale.

Why? I didn't ask you to make it for me.

What I was getting at with the last paragraph is that contributions could be solicited from people that have already contributed to the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.

Guest deleted34304850

Here's why;

YOU want SOMEONE to basically rip it off under some bullshit "open source/copyleft" clause - which is in a nutshell you not understanding, or wanting to understand, how copyright works because YOU think YOUR game won't play nice if YOU don't have it laying around for when YOU deem it necessary for YOU to install it so YOU can play YOUR game.

hence I suggest, not unhelpfully - you want it - you make it. Or, YOU go off and solicit "contributions" from people who have contributed to the patch, which is for about 99% of the fixes, the UFO4P team, and see how far you get?

Once it's ready for you to publish it, be sure to let everyone know so we can download it and demand constant updates, and of course, demand you publish it all under some copyrightless clause so that you don't actually have any say in when YOU get to say "I've had enough of this, I want to do something else" because WE want YOUR work 100% of the time, for free because we are ENTITLED to it.

Understand now?

Bugfixing is a tedious work that often get no thanks at all.

Copyright is here less the problem. Many bugs are to see with the right tools and to make a patch for them, that you can start to do today. The problem is more that it will ate your time more as anything else and that with having in mind that the most people will not even write a thanks in the comments.

So with other words don't try to bypass this problem on this way and let instead maybe a positive comment in their comment section back. So that they see, that their work is appreciated.

Edited by taryl80

Once it's ready for you to publish it, be sure to let everyone know so we can download it and demand constant updates, and of course, demand you publish it all under some copyrightless clause so that you don't actually have any say in when YOU get to say "I've had enough of this, I want to do something else" because WE want YOUR work 100% of the time, for free because we are ENTITLED to it.

Understand now?

Except for the part where you think open source means you are entitled to updates forever. The Linux kernel is "copyleft", and Linus Torvalds, the original author, could walk away from it whenever he wants. In fact he has at times, and has been "fired" a few times as well.

Just because someone chooses to use an alternate copyright (which is what copyleft is), one that grants permission to modify and share, does not mean that you can demand constant updates from them, or that they are forced to work on it forever. There is no copyright version anywhere that legalizes slavery.

Here: I hereby grant permission for anyone to download my Vault-Tec HQ settlement mod, to modify it to suit their needs, and to share it with their friends. You may not, however, use my works in commercial products, or charge money for it.

There, it's copylefted. You want updates? Piss off, I'll update it if and when I feel like it. You have ZERO right to demand I maintain it.

Don't lecture people on copyright if you don't actually understand it.