Mod authors should have made a master list of locations

hucker75

Imagine you have bought a mid-price sports car. One that has room for improvement and is popular among car enthusiasts.
Because it is popular, there are companies that manufacture after-market parts for the car. ACME, BlamCo, CatCo, DynaCo all make pretty cool add-ons that you can install on your car. Each company makes sure that their parts work on the standard model car, and each company makes sure that their parts work with other parts they manufacture. They do not, however, design their parts to work with the parts that the other companies make.
If you install a bunch of parts from ACME, they will all work together. If you install parts from ACME and BlamCo, they might work together if they don't fit on the same part of the car. If you install a whole bunch of parts from ACME, BlamCo, CatCo and DynaCo, then your chances of getting them all to work together become less with every part you install...eventually they will conflict.
If ACME has some really popular parts and DynaCo has some parts that people like to use with the ACME parts, but they don't work together, then DynaCo might produce a kit to make them work together. To "patch" the problem. Or a third company, WayneTech, might decide there is money to be made by selling a kit to make parts from the company work together, after checking the legal status of such kits. Or the hobbyists themselves might design parts that can be made at home with a 3d printer and although they can't provide the parts for other people, they can help with the instructions so people can print their own with their own 3d printer.
But if you tried to convince those companies that there should be a database that they have to register with and check with before they design and release a part they'd tell you that you were crazy. Because their parts are designed to work with the car, not other people's after-market parts.

Skyrim mods arn't high end sports cars.

You don't read too well do you?

No mention of high-end sports cars at all.

Comparison is of Skyrim to a mid-price sports car and mods to after-market add-ons.

And your comment wouldn't have meant anything even if you did manage to read what I posted.

Mods are still free software made for fun, not products of any kind, let alone car parts which are physical products and of course any car is obviously about far away as you could get from being analogous to skyrim. Your metaphor is inherently flawed for many reasons. After market car parts require physical components and can't be infinitely duplicated. It is not standard to offer them for free and because they are products they are subject to refunds and such when faulty.

It would be more apt to compare them to some derro down the road giving out free spoilers or something.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mods are still free software made for fun, not products of any kind, let alone car parts which are physical products and of course any car is obviously about far away as you could get from being analogous to skyrim. Your metaphor is inherently flawed for many reasons. After market car parts require physical components and can't be infinitely duplicated. It is not standard to offer them for free and because they are products they are subject to refunds and such when faulty.

Seems to me that you're just salty because you made rudimentary errors of reading and logic in public. I thought showler's analogy was fairly good and the aspects you pointed out are largely irrelevant or nitpicky.

That mods are free software, made for fun and not physical products are irrelevant details. In fact, the products bit is flat-out wrong.

For an analogy to be applicable/persuasive, the principle aspects of each circumstance need to map onto each other, more or less.

And in showler's analogy, I think they do.

It would be more apt to compare them to some derro down the road giving out free spoilers or something.

Perhaps you didn't think that one through (or maybe you did). Is that what you think of mod authors....?

It's almost as if you ignored the previous eleven pages of the thread and the last paragraph of my post which provide context on the point of my analogy. It has nothing to do with money, it is about the expectation that mods should be designed to work with other mods when in reality mods are designed to work with the game. Mods working with other mods by design is a fairly rare exception.

Not embarrassing at all, I'm simply amused by everyone's inability to grasp the simplest of concepts.

When you're salty because

1. your cherished idea has been exposed multiple times in various ways as unworkable and impractical

2. your logic has been exposed as flawed and fallacious

3. you have been exposed as an obsessive hypocrite

4. you still expect everyone else to solve your problem for you but they won't

then I guess you have to resort to insulting everyone's intelligence when clearly you are a sophomaniac.

My idea is simple, requires a tiny effort by each modder, and reaps the benefits of compatibility with everyone.

A conflict with another mod is not a bug

You should go work for Microsoft. "It's not our fault the OS crashed, you should have bought Microsoft Word, and not dared to use Openoffice. We don't support anyone else doing anything."

Imagine you have bought a mid-price sports car. One that has room for improvement and is popular among car enthusiasts.
Because it is popular, there are companies that manufacture after-market parts for the car. ACME, BlamCo, CatCo, DynaCo all make pretty cool add-ons that you can install on your car. Each company makes sure that their parts work on the standard model car, and each company makes sure that their parts work with other parts they manufacture. They do not, however, design their parts to work with the parts that the other companies make.
If you install a bunch of parts from ACME, they will all work together. If you install parts from ACME and BlamCo, they might work together if they don't fit on the same part of the car. If you install a whole bunch of parts from ACME, BlamCo, CatCo and DynaCo, then your chances of getting them all to work together become less with every part you install...eventually they will conflict.
If ACME has some really popular parts and DynaCo has some parts that people like to use with the ACME parts, but they don't work together, then DynaCo might produce a kit to make them work together. To "patch" the problem. Or a third company, WayneTech, might decide there is money to be made by selling a kit to make parts from the company work together, after checking the legal status of such kits. Or the hobbyists themselves might design parts that can be made at home with a 3d printer and although they can't provide the parts for other people, they can help with the instructions so people can print their own with their own 3d printer.
But if you tried to convince those companies that there should be a database that they have to register with and check with before they design and release a part they'd tell you that you were crazy. Because their parts are designed to work with the car, not other people's after-market parts.

Then they're idiots. When I sell a product, I want my customers to be happy with it. I want it to work despite them having bought something elsewhere aswell. Would you manufacture a TV that only accepted input from one of your own DVD players?

You should go work for Microsoft. "It's not our fault the OS crashed, you should have bought Microsoft Word, and not dared to use Openoffice. We don't support anyone else doing anything."

You're not complaining about "OpenOffice" not working correctly with "Windows", you are complaining about "OpenOffice" not conflicting with "MS Word". And it does. If you have both installed you have to make a decision about which one you are going to associate with particular files or which one you choose to use to create a document.

Windows is an operating system which is designed to work with any software that meets its requirements. By law they cannot prevent a program from working on their OS in order to eliminate competitors products.

i.e. Windows is Skyrim and both OpenOffice and Word are mods. As long as the programs work with Windows, nobody cares if they work with each other.

Would you manufacture a TV that only accepted input from one of your own DVD players?

You really are clueless. TV input is a universal standard that manufacturers agreed to because it is NECESSARY for the functioning of their product. It has nothing to do with your demand that mod authors indulge your laziness.

Guest deleted34304850

Not embarrassing at all, I'm simply amused by everyone's inability to grasp the simplest of concepts.

When you're salty because

1. your cherished idea has been exposed multiple times in various ways as unworkable and impractical

2. your logic has been exposed as flawed and fallacious

3. you have been exposed as an obsessive hypocrite

4. you still expect everyone else to solve your problem for you but they won't

then I guess you have to resort to insulting everyone's intelligence when clearly you are a sophomaniac.

My idea is simple, requires a tiny effort by each modder, and reaps the benefits of compatibility with everyone.

A conflict with another mod is not a bug

Then they're idiots. When I sell a product, I want my customers to be happy with it. I want it to work despite them having bought something elsewhere aswell. Would you manufacture a TV that only accepted input from one of your own DVD players?

i love your analogies.

truly i do.

you know what else a mod is like? its like salad.

its also like a pineapple.

and a penguine.

and cheese.

and a tambourine.

and a tuba.

and the roots of a tree.

keep going champ. you're amazing.

Guest deleted34304850

my fruit salad with pineapple has clashed with your salad that contained pineapple as well.

which should be eaten first?

i blame the pineapple growers/cannery - they should have a database that lists all the pineapples and then all the salad makers can update the database to show they're using pineapple so that hungry diners can review the database of pineapple usage before they order their meals! stupid pineapple people!

Guest deleted34304850

I want pineapple on my pizza, not my salad.

someone update the database for heaven's sake .... all these pineapple mods will clash!