Mod authors should have made a master list of locations

hucker75

There would never be a time where 50 percent of users had a problem. No mod has that kind of number of users. I don't know if the unofficial patches make those kinds of numbers and they are required masters for a lot of other mods.

For the small number of people who realistically have an issue patches are a far more workable solution.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, analogies aren't precisely the same, or they wouldn't be an analogy.

Correct but an analogy only works if there are fundamental aspects in common, which is what I demonstrated above. None of your analogies work in principle.

There are fundamental aspects in common: they're both a large number of people doing work on something, where their work can interfere with the work of the others unless they communicate.

It looks like you've abandoned your clearly wrong-headed library analogy in favour of something so vague and watery it lacks virtually any comparative value at all.

I realise that this is the internet and therefore witnessing in real-time somebody admitting they're wrong is about as common as experiencing a supernova exploding overhead but when your arguments have been systematically demolished as much as yours have been, it's the gracious thing to do.

You hear that Mr Hucker75? That is the sound of....inevitability....

There would never be a time where 50 percent of users had a problem. No mod has that kind of number of users. I don't know if the unofficial patches make those kinds of numbers and they are required masters for a lot of other mods.

For the small number of people who realistically have an issue patches are a far more workable solution.

If the mods are similar, it's very likely for people to want both, for example I've downloaded every mod that has a good quest line in it.

Making everything compatible in the first place is the easiest and best way.

Wow, analogies aren't precisely the same, or they wouldn't be an analogy.

Correct but an analogy only works if there are fundamental aspects in common, which is what I demonstrated above. None of your analogies work in principle.

There are fundamental aspects in common: they're both a large number of people doing work on something, where their work can interfere with the work of the others unless they communicate.

It looks like you've abandoned your clearly wrong-headed library analogy in favour of something so vague and watery it lacks virtually any comparative value at all.

I realise that this is the internet and therefore witnessing in real-time somebody admitting they're wrong is about as common as experiencing a supernova exploding overhead but when your arguments have been systematically demolished as much as yours have been, it's the gracious thing to do.

You hear that Mr Hucker75? That is the sound of....inevitability....

No, that was my original analogy, I tried two in the vain hope that somebody would get it. Forget what I used for analogies, look at the facts. Many modders all editing the same Commonwealth. If two edit the same place, there's a problem. Simple communication would solve this. This is a very basic concept, and I don't see why anyone can't follow it.

No, that was my original analogy, I tried two in the vain hope that somebody would get it. Forget what I used for analogies, look at the facts. Many modders all editing the same Commonwealth. If two edit the same place, there's a problem. Simple communication would solve this. This is a very basic concept, and I don't see why anyone can't follow it.

We all understand the facts and have given you various reasons why your proposal is both impractical and unworkable. It relies on every modder who creates a new location to know about and contribute to a database and check the database before establishing the location or entrance in the game world.

Some will; most will say f*** that!

So your proposal fails right there. It's fundamentally flawed because it assumes an ideal world.

Look to have the full complete list it would require thousands of modders to know enough about what their doing to accurately record the doors and other objects they are effecting and then all agree on a single database implementation and then also agree to actually update it.

Only a small % of mods put any effort at all towards compatibility at all, let alone compatibility with every other mod. Yet you assume thousands of people would just have worked together to do this for no reason like some kind of hive mind. It's impossible to do logisically and almost no one would want to put the effort in to do it even if it was. Tonnes of people have attempted similar projects, like LOOT. But the simple fact is, that it can be a full time job just maintaining one mod list, as the DarkLadyLexy could tell you. The easiest way to do this would be to have it built into the engine. Have it record changes to the master ESPs and able to highlight differences like xEdit. But if even bethesda with all their resources didn't bother.

As OP themselves has pointed out, the community has to work together, the modder puts compatibility info and their description and the user takes that info to ensure their own list is reasonably stable. I don't see why this is a problem. The community already works together to get everything working together where reasonable.

The "List" will never happen because mod authors couldn't even come together as a group when the ToS was change that prevented mod authors from being able to delete their mods
Instead, half the mod authors attacked and vilified the other half of the mod authors who argued FOR, and tried to protect Mod Author's rights.

So, good luck with that, because it will never happen with the Mod community so split

We all understand the facts and have given you various reasons why your proposal is both impractical and unworkable. It relies on every modder who creates a new location to know about and contribute to a database and check the database before establishing the location or entrance in the game world.

Some will; most will say f*** that!

So your proposal fails right there. It's fundamentally flawed because it assumes an ideal world.

If the database was run by Nexus, you would be told when you upload your mod.

Why would anyone spend months crafting a mod then not spend 10 minutes filling in a simple form that makes their mod guaranteed to be compatible?

No one has the right to claim a door or location for their mod.

You just can't accept that your idea is neither good nor original. If it was workable it would have been done.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to use the door I used in a mod 6 months ago. But you would know that if you did you'd be creating a conflict for anyone who downloaded both our mods, and would receive angry posts from users who saw that you did yours after mine.

The "List" will never happen because mod authors couldn't even come together as a group when the ToS was change that prevented mod authors from being able to delete their mods

Instead, half the mod authors attacked and vilified the other half of the mod authors who argued FOR, and tried to protect Mod Author's rights.

So, good luck with that, because it will never happen with the Mod community so split

What is the point in not being able to delete a mod? Sometimes they become outdated, superceded, incompatible.

In fact you can delete them - the predecessor to Gun For Hire was deleted, as the author had completely rewritten it, and for some reason chosen to publish it seperately. Possibly because he removed the old one first as there were too many problems.

What is the point in not being able to delete a mod? Sometimes they become outdated, superceded, incompatible.

In fact you can delete them - the predecessor to Gun For Hire was deleted, as the author had completely rewritten it, and for some reason chosen to publish it seperately. Possibly because he removed the old one first as there were too many problems.

Not anymore, that ability was removed in preparation for "Collections"

Our mods aren't our mods to manage and delete anymore, which is why a lot of people left.

They were given a small window of time to delete their mods, and a lot did.

Anybody who left their mods after the deadline, can no longer remove, or delete them.