Mod authors should have made a master list of locations

hucker75

If the database was run by Nexus, you would be told when you upload your mod.

Right. NM would only implement such a database if it had the support of most mod authors and there was some incentive (i.e. business case) for them to do it.

Given the responses to you in this thread, I think it's safe to say that most mod authors think it's a bad idea (or a good idea that will never work) and there's no obvious business case for NM to do it.

But let's run a hypothetical:

Mod author creates new content mod

Initiates upload of new mod to NM

NM prompt -> to continue please complete additional requirement and populate this form with further details about your mod

Mod Author: WTF!?!?!

Abandons upload and instead uploads to modDB

Mod Author receives continual questions about why mod not on NM

Mod Author becomes a recluse, withdraws from civilization and maintains excellent mental health as a result.....

Why would anyone spend months crafting a mod then not spend 10 minutes filling in a simple form that makes their mod guaranteed to be compatible?

Some mod authors don't care about compatibility. Most mod authors won't want to spend 10 mins filling in a form in order to share their mod with the community. They want to make mods, not fill in boxes (although sometimes making a mod involves filling in text fields in the CK, granted).

Your idea would only work in an ideal world. Unfortunately, we live in an imperfect world and that necessitates implementing non-ideal but pragmatic, effective solutions.

Edited by gnarly1

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "List" will never happen because mod authors couldn't even come together as a group when the ToS was change that prevented mod authors from being able to delete their mods

Instead, half the mod authors attacked and vilified the other half of the mod authors who argued FOR, and tried to protect Mod Author's rights.

So, good luck with that, because it will never happen with the Mod community so split

What is the point in not being able to delete a mod? Sometimes they become outdated, superceded, incompatible.

In fact you can delete them - the predecessor to Gun For Hire was deleted, as the author had completely rewritten it, and for some reason chosen to publish it seperately. Possibly because he removed the old one first as there were too many problems.

Not anymore, that ability was removed in preparation for "Collections"

Our mods aren't our mods to manage and delete anymore, which is why a lot of people left.

They were given a small window of time to delete their mods, and a lot did.

Anybody who left their mods after the deadline, can no longer remove, or delete them.

What if you updated it to a useless version that did nothing, then rewrote the description to say don't download because it's work in progress? Or do the old files have to stay in the download list?

If the database was run by Nexus, you would be told when you upload your mod.

Right. NM would only implement such a database if it had the support of most mod authors and there was some incentive (i.e. business case) for them to do it.

Given the responses to you in this thread, I think it's safe to say that most mod authors think it's a bad idea (or a good idea that will never work) and there's no obvious business case for NM to do it.

But let's run a hypothetical:

Mod author creates new content mod

Initiates upload of new mod to NM

NM prompt -> to continue please complete additional requirement and populate this form with further details about your mod

Mod Author: WTF!?!?!

Abandons upload and instead uploads to modDB

Mod Author receives continual questions about why mod not on NM

Mod Author becomes a recluse, withdraws from civilization and maintains excellent mental health as a result.....

Why would anyone spend months crafting a mod then not spend 10 minutes filling in a simple form that makes their mod guaranteed to be compatible?

Some mod authors don't care about compatibility. Most mod authors won't want to spend 10 mins filling in a form in order to share their mod with the community. They want to make mods, not fill in boxes (although sometimes making a mod involves filling in text fields in the CK, granted).

Your idea would only work in an ideal world. Unfortunately, we live in an imperfect world and that necessitates implementing non-ideal but pragmatic, effective solutions.

No, it would never be required, just suggested. And why would any mod author want to spend months writing something that doesn't work?

It would take less time to make a patch that moves the door to a new location than it would take to fill out your proposed form. Why would anyone do what you suggest?

That's typical of modern society. Lets make a broken version and wait until someone complains. Even if you want to go that route, the database I suggested would allow you to make that patch straight away when you find out from Nexus it's incompatible, not wait a few months for players to get annoyed.

Nothing can remove the responsibility of the USER to vet his own mod list - nothing.

If that is the intent of a database - it's ill conceived. I.e. expecting the mod authors to vet problems so the users never see them.

Mod authors normally don't make mods against other mods - they make them against the base game. It's the USERS responsibility to manage all of the mods that are changing the base game (or conflicting with each other).

Not that you'll get it but, let me correct that for you:

Most modders would NOT use it, since it's NOT for their benefit!

Why would you spend months making something that breaks and everyone moans about? And of course a conflict means it doesn't work.

Nothing is 'broken'. It works perfectly as advertised. Just not for people who want it to work along with another mod changing the same "door". (I hope you understand this goes for every darn asset you touch(?))

They moan, sure, but instead they should choose or create a patch, but moaning is way easier.

Mod authors don't create their mod to be compatible with each and every other mod in the world. They don't care! It's not their problem!

If you both use the same door, what do you think happens when the player goes through it?

Load order.

"Wow, you've got that completely back to front. The modder made the mod, I just play it. I don't expect to buy a car then have to correct faults in it."

now thats back to front! your not buying a car, your downloading a free mod. it's completly normal to have to troubleshoot paid software on PC, especially bethesda games and you expect the hobby mods made for it to be both perfect and be working together, despite the logistics being impossible to solve.

also incompatible doesn't they dont work together. something as simple as overwriting the same levled list in 2 quest mods makes them technical incompatible. crashed to desktops are rarley from incompatibilities.

Not that you'll get it but, let me correct that for you:

Most modders would NOT use it, since it's NOT for their benefit!

Why would you spend months making something that breaks and everyone moans about? And of course a conflict means it doesn't work.

Nothing is 'broken'. It works perfectly as advertised. Just not for people who want it to work along with another mod changing the same "door". (I hope you understand this goes for every darn asset you touch(?))

They moan, sure, but instead they should choose or create a patch, but moaning is way easier.

Mod authors don't create their mod to be compatible with each and every other mod in the world. They don't care! It's not their problem!

If you both use the same door, what do you think happens when the player goes through it?

Load order.

If I spend months making a mod then release it on here, I'd want people to enjoy it. I'm not going to waste 3 months of my time making something that interferes with other mods.

Load order cannot possibly make a door have you enter two different places.

What if you updated it to a useless version that did nothing, then rewrote the description to say don't download because it's work in progress? Or do the old files have to stay in the download list?

The modder would get banned, it's already happened.

They probably don't care as they're trying to delete something. Or do Nexus bring it back form a backup?

"Wow, you've got that completely back to front. The modder made the mod, I just play it. I don't expect to buy a car then have to correct faults in it."

now thats back to front! your not buying a car, your downloading a free mod. it's completly normal to have to troubleshoot paid software on PC, especially bethesda games and you expect the hobby mods made for it to be both perfect and be working together, despite the logistics being impossible to solve.

also incompatible doesn't they dont work together. something as simple as overwriting the same levled list in 2 quest mods makes them technical incompatible. crashed to desktops are rarley from incompatibilities.

It shouldn't be normal to troubleshoot paid software, and being free makes no difference. I have plenty of free software and the authors do everything they can to make it stable.

The list I'm suggesting just solves simple duplications. I see it everywhere - "this mod didn't work for me because that other mod placed some rubble in front of your door".