⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

In Support of Mod Authors

sombra310

Claiming your rights are being taken away, is overly dramatic and total nonsense. We get it, you don't like it. But if you want to discuss these things, then discuss them in a way that doesn't over exaggerate the reality of what is actually occuring.

Who does not understand here has been obvious since the beginning of the discussion. You can argue your point of view further as much as you want, it will not change the facts. As soon as a mod author has uploaded his work, he can no longer decide how his work is used by Nexus. He cannot even determine which version of his mod is used by collections. So in theory he has kept his rights, but he cannot apply them in any way. That's the reality. No more and no less. Take us all a favor and keep your wisdom in the future for you. Most of your explanations are simply worthless.

Claiming your rights are being taken away, is overly dramatic and total nonsense. We get it, you don't like it. But if you want to discuss these things, then discuss them in a way that doesn't over exaggerate the reality of what is actually occuring.

Who does not understand here has been obvious since the beginning of the discussion. You can argue your point of view further as much as you want, it will not change the facts. As soon as a mod author has uploaded his work, he can no longer decide how his work is used by Nexus. He cannot even determine which version of his mod is used by collections. So in theory he has kept his rights, but he cannot apply them in any way. That's the reality. No more and no less. Take us all a favor and keep your wisdom in the future for you. Most of your explanations are simply worthless.

That is how copyright law works. If you give permission to someone to use your work (whether that be through using a service like Nexus, or outright giving permission directly), than that means they can use it. And it's not taking away any of your own rights. The only way your own rights can be taken away is if you give someone else the copyright in its entirety.

Don't care if you think my explanations are worthless. They are true nonetheless.

Yeah, I suppose. The upshot is, if you upload here, that's it. It's here, and it will stay here. You, as an author, no longer have the right to REVOKE nexus right to distribute your work.

The issue is, when you give permission to someone or service to be able to use your content indefinitely, that still counts as you giving permission for them to be able to do that. So while you are right, it's only because permission was given. Your best bet to avoid things like this is to just be very careful where you post your content, making sure you read the ToS. This is something all creators should do.

Your best bet to avoid things like this is to just be very careful where you post your content, making sure you read the ToS. This is something all creators should do.

The ToS were changed after many people uploaded to the site and the change to deletions happened before notification was given. The ability to remove mods if you didn't agree with the changed ToS came afterwards. So it would have been very hard for a lot of people to known this was coming just by reading the ToS.

I think Nexus did all the necessary things, but they did them in the wrong order and without much communication.

But it's done now and the protests never gathered enough force to make a difference.

That is how copyright law works. If you give permission to someone to use your work (whether that be through using a service like Nexus, or outright giving permission directly), than that means they can use it. And it's not taking away any of your own rights. The only way your own rights can be taken away is if you give someone else the copyright in its entirety.

Don't care if you think my explanations are worthless. They are true nonetheless.

Just hopeless and waste of time

The ToS were changed after many people uploaded to the site and the change to deletions happened before notification was given. The ability to remove mods if you didn't agree with the changed ToS came afterwards. So it would have been very hard for a lot of people to known this was coming just by reading the ToS.

I think Nexus did all the necessary things, but they did them in the wrong order and without much communication.

But it's done now and the protests never gathered enough force to make a difference.

I am fairly certain they will allow others to pull out if they were inactive at the time, came back and then learned of it. Nexus never strikes me as unreasonable when it comes to mod authors.

But with that said, they did do some things in the wrong order, but ya ... not a whole lot one can do about events that have already passed XD.

I am fairly certain they will allow others to pull out if they were inactive at the time, came back and then learned of it. Nexus never strikes me as unreasonable when it comes to mod authors.

But with that said, they did do some things in the wrong order, but ya ... not a whole lot one can do about events that have already passed XD.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. They sent out a notification of the change in terms, along with a window of opportunity to pull your work if you so desired. That deadline has now passed, and the new ToS are fully enforceable. Given this change in policy, and the way it was implemented, I wouldn't hold my breath on Nexus deleting anything, regardless of circumstances. (aside from illegal material, of course.)