ℹ️ Download History temporarily unavailable ×

Vortex splits files between C: and removable drive, how to stop this?

ModHappyGamer
Go to solution Solved by Tannin42,

I'm installing Vortex on an external HDD--along with all of my games--because I plan to play on a few different computers but available storage between them varies wildly.

The problem is that, in the course of getting everything set up and ready to play on the external drive, Vortex keeps putting files into the C:\Program Data folder, which entirely defeats the purpose of loading everything onto the external drive to begin with.

Is there, as the title asks, a way to stop Vortex from putting anything on the C: drive?

I don't know. Use the settings tab?

I've looked through the settings, and while the staging and downloads folders are able to be switched (and I promptly do so as needed), there are still files being placed in the above-mentioned folder. Deleting them wipes out all of my altered settings for Vortex, so I would ordinarily just roll my eyes at the inconvenience, leave them as is, and go on. But if Vortex is looking to these files each time it starts up (and specific directories also appear for any game I manage), then that's going to be problem when I switch to another computer and those files suddenly aren't there when I go to play a modded game.

• Solution

There is an undocumented, unsupported, use-at-your-own-risk-and-live-with-the-consequences option:

Run Vortex with the command line option "--user-data" like this: "Vortex.exe --user-data z:\my\totally\custom\location". You can of course create a shortcut for that. Vortex will then use that location for everything it would previously have used %APPDATA%\vortex or c:\programdata\vortex for.

Vortex itself doesn't take up much room. Can you install it to each computer and then copy the "Appdata/Vortex" folder between them to keep your mod order consistent?.

I don't believe Vortex is designed for portable instances so your options might be limited.

Yes, this is what occurred to me as the only solution (aside what Tannin offered, which I think I might not want to mess with).

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the answers.